what are some good free mmorpgs?

combustion

Gawd
anyone have a list of links to some good ones?
some that can be run on an older machine also... kinda like Tibia.

there are no free mmorgps, they are always in development, and subscription fees help subsidize the servers and stuff. Theres no way around it.

I was asking for a freinds son, he plays tibia now and its free but the lag is horrible.. his machine is rather old (500mhz).. i know Ruinscape is another free one so obviously there are some out there.

Don't know if they exist anymore but when I had broadband there was this one called Plannetside or something, I really have no idea what they were called sorry, there were two of them, there are more out there though, 3D ones too.

Also you can play free shards with Ultima Online, while the game costs money if you search for free shards you can play on unofficial servers legally for free.

Multi-User Dungeon. These have been around for well over two decades, and are very well established and deep. The best part is that you could play on at VT100 terminal. That's because they (for the most part) don't use a graphical engine. Just text. Don't let that fool you though. MUDs can be as addicting as crystal meth to a redneck.

Originally posted by Torgo
MUDs can be as addicting as crystal meth to a redneck.

I can't say I've ever heard that analogy... must be a Texas thing, eh, Torgo? ;)

I would answer that, but I'm about to go to the store to pick up some bleach and cough syrup.

Originally posted by Andrew87
Don't know if they exist anymore but when I had broadband there was this one called Plannetside or something, I really have no idea what they were called sorry, there were two of them, there are more out there though, 3D ones too.

Also you can play free shards with Ultima Online, while the game costs money if you search for free shards you can play on unofficial servers legally for free.

It's called Planescape.

These have been around for well over two decades, and are very well established and deep. The best part is that you could play on at VT100 terminal.

yeah, i OCed my 9700 and i'm getting like 85 frames/sec in those bad boys now.

:rolleyes:

seriously... if you're going to play one of those, just join a chat room or read a book.

Originally posted by GriffiN
Just apply for betas everywhere.
Betas are fun, I got into a bunch of good ones (and some not so good ones, ewww Everquest Online Adventures: Frontiers)

I remember they gave Planetside a free dwnload and 30-day trial (stupid need a credit card crap), but thats probably too new for a 500mhz machine. Just search for open beta's, most of em aren't that bad if you can get over the poor to mediocre graphics and unfinihed gameplay.

Runescape is the only one I know of... It is a crappy game though, I would rather just buy a game.

-warsaw

Back