What are some cool hardware/gadgets that I can add to my PC???

Hey there...I want my PC too look cool...I've got a window and a slot drive DVD player (I mention that cause there aren't many ppl that have em) and a 6-port baybus...

Are there other cool things that I can add to my PC??? I plan on trying to find an LCD display thing but actually I don't know what to do with it...how about eDimensional's E-D Glasses...that looks really cool...and maybe a TrackIR2??? Or maybe something else...

I know that my examples are gaming peripherals but I an not nessecarily looking for them...just some visual things that may or may not have a function that will help a PC look kick ass!!!

Any ideas??? THANX
C'YA ?:-D

add cold cathodes. LED fans. paint your case if its a boring color. mod a fan exhaust hole on the top of your case.
but case modding is about creativity. you cant ask someone else to be creative for you. you have to do it on your own. whats the joy in having a clone of everyone elses computer?

there;s some cool fan temp displays and stuff you can add to your drive bays.

Originally posted by jamestime88
add cold cathodes. LED fans. paint your case if its a boring color. mod a fan exhaust hole on the top of your case.

I have had some bad experience with CCFL's...the inverters all started smoking when I plugged them into the PSU...I had about 6 or 7 of them and they all smoked...I had two kinds also...and I also had those sound activated modules from Sunebeam that Xoxide gave to me...I don't know what happened to my CCFL's tho...I don't know if they still work...prolly do tho...it's the damn inverters that my PSU doesn't like or something...I have a 550W PSU so I shouldn't be low on power should I???

I have 2 LED fans...I got ThermalTake's Smart Case II "CoolMod" fan and I got what I THINK is an Antec tri-color LED fan...COULD use 2 or 3 more LED fans tho I guess

As for the color of my case it is silver...cool color so no prob there

I don't really want a blow hole on top of my case...I put stuff on top of it like when I'm working on it and stuff and I'm afraid something will drop down in it and screw stuff up...I guess I COULD put a filter there but if a screw snuck in it it woud get caught up in the blades and mess up a fan...

I WANT to get a new case but I haven't found one to my liking yet...I am VERY picky about the case I wanna get...

THANX

Originally posted by Metallica_Band
I have had some bad experience with CCFL's...the inverters all started smoking when I plugged them into the PSU...I had about 6 or 7 of them and they all smoked...I had two kinds also...and I also had those sound activated modules from Sunebeam that Xoxide gave to me...I don't know what happened to my CCFL's tho...I don't know if they still work...prolly do tho...it's the damn inverters that my PSU doesn't like or something...I have a 550W PSU so I shouldn't be low on power should I???

I have 2 LED fans...I got ThermalTake's Smart Case II "CoolMod" fan and I got what I THINK is an Antec tri-color LED fan...COULD use 2 or 3 more LED fans tho I guess

As for the color of my case it is silver...cool color so no prob there

I don't really want a blow hole on top of my case...I put stuff on top of it like when I'm working on it and stuff and I'm afraid something will drop down in it and screw stuff up...I guess I COULD put a filter there but if a screw snuck in it it woud get caught up in the blades and mess up a fan...

I WANT to get a new case but I haven't found one to my liking yet...I am VERY picky about the case I wanna get...

THANX

low power isn't gonna smoke your LEDs... to much power is. did you plug them directly into a 12v rail or something? you hooked up something really badly there... i don't think it's just the inverters, i think you need some resistors in there.

Originally posted by plot
low power isn't gonna smoke your LEDs... to much power is. did you plug them directly into a 12v rail or something? you hooked up something really badly there... i don't think it's just the inverters, i think you need some resistors in there.

agree. I think you plugged them straight into the 12v.

My lazer LED's plug right into my 12v, but they have a resistor built into the wire.

Cold Cathodes are nice, but only buy quality ones, cheap ones tend to break. Frozencpu has some really cool lights here, look like there outa stock on alot of them though

HyperLights
Fan monitoring or temp monitor devices like coolermaster or Digidoc 5 like I have are good to use.

I also use an EL badge I made myself.

newplex.jpg

badeofthenight.jpg

You gettting a shuttle to heyhey? For some reason, I really want one, probably cause im sick of lugging around my 60pound "Blue Fantasy" for LAN parties, as much as I love it.

Hopefully Shuttle is working on a dual channel Athlon64 to be released.

Originally posted by plot
did you plug them directly into a 12v rail or something? i think you need some resistors in there.

a 12V RAIL??? What's a rail...what u mean rail....never heard anything referred to as a rail??? and what resistors??? The inverters I got were already built and housed...I had some with black housing and light (sky?) blue housing....BOTH had dual CCFL things so I could hook 2 of em up

what about some custom fan grills, or a "lazer bay" (a 5.25 bay blank with something cut into it, and a light behind so what ever you cut in glows) or you can put a bowl with some $ in it with a note "take one" I think that would make me tell you your case looks cool,,,

ive neer had a problem with ccfl i stick with the blue dual inverters, (in a case not the heatshrinked ones)
goodl luck

Originally posted by Metallica_Band
a 12V RAIL??? What's a rail...what u mean rail....never heard anything referred to as a rail??? and what resistors??? The inverters I got were already built and housed...I had some with black housing and light (sky?) blue housing....BOTH had dual CCFL things so I could hook 2 of em up

rail... live wire... etc... 12V rail would be a wire with 12 volts on it. plug in one of your inverters and use a DMM to measure the voltage on the end...

ok...wait wait iwait...how exactly was I SUPPOSED to hook the CCFL's up to my PC??? I THINK I did it this way...not sure tho...it was a long time ago:

1. I got the 2 CCFL's that I wanted to use
2. I hooked both of them up to the one inverter
3. I hooked the inverter to the PSU

Isn't that how you're supposed to do it...I might be leaving out a step...I dunno...THANX

P.S.: I even remember trying it with just one CCFL attached...and I tried it with the sound module added after step #2...then the module gets connected to the PSU I thin...I forget...but I remember trying it about 4 or 5 times and all inverters smoked....but I remember seeing the CCFL's light up for about 1/4 of a second...it blinked once SOMETIMES...and that's it

Back