What are peoples experiences with Windows 7 XP mode?

RangerXML

Supreme [H]ardness
I still have the BETA and have yet to install it, I noticed that it has been taken down from Technet. I have some Motorola radios to program and the program only works in XP so I wanted to test it out in XP mode, but I really haven't seen all that much here on it.

Have any experience with XP in a VM? Its exactly like that. In fact it IS that.

I would say the default mode of operation is "just like any other VM" but, when you put apps in seamless operation in XP Mode, that's when it's a lot different than "just any other VM." If you haven't used that aspect of XP Mode, you should, because it's probably the coolest feature of it overall.

Yea to be honest I just fired it up once, saw that it looked just like any other VM then uninstalled it. I don't really have a use for it or I would play with it some more.

The only advantage of the XP mode is that you do not need an XP license for it.

If you already have an XP license that you can dedicate to your virtual machine, you can use virtualbox.
It offers everything the XP mode offers including the seamless mode.

From what I can find, seamless mode with VirtualBox is a Linux host OS only option... not applicable to Windows hosts. I could be wrong but, I've never noticed VirtualBox offer that option, not even in the latest versions for Windows. If I am wrong, then somebody school me quick 'cause, I can't find anything that say it works for Windows host OSes...

Going to try that out later. Unity mode in VMware WS does this, btw.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Only thing I noticed that is "notable" (because for me XP Mode "just worked") is that there's no 3D acceleration. But that's expected so it's not really news.

Back