What are Parallels Virtuozzo Containers? Why does my Plesk Control Center say it?

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
What are Parallels Virtuozzo Containers? Why does my Plesk Control Center say it?

I'm paying $125 per month for a DEDICATED server from GoDaddy and now my Plesk says Parallels in it. Does that mean my server is virtual under VMWare?

I specifically requested a DEDICATED server and that's what I'm paying for... or so I thought.

Please let me know if GoDaddy is screwing me over...

Parallels owns Plesk, and have for a long time.

As for Parallels Virtuozzo Containers, it is a virtualization system. Several companies sell dedicated servers that contain only a single virtual machine. This allows for fast deployments, among other benefits.

It's very possible that, since this is a dedicated server, they are giving you Virtuozzo just in case you wish to make use of it yourself. But of course that's just being positive. Call GoDaddy and make sure you're getting what you're paying for.

Thanks for the input, guys! Yeah, I'll give them a call and see what's up. I'm paying $125 per month (actually, it's closer to $100 per month, since I paid 1 year in-advance which cost me about $1200) for:

Dedicated Server
Celeron 2.0Ghz (yeah, I know it sucks, but I don't need ridiculous hosting)
1GB RAM
120GB HD
500GB Transfer per month
Plesk 8.6 with UNLIMITED domains

Now, does anyone think I should switch? If so, to what?

OR, should I serve the sites myself? I'd rather not do it myself since it's for business and the only connection I have is 15/5 cable from Cablevision with SpeedBoost.

Thanks!

You would have to add the static ip server onto Optimum. Optimum with Boost and the static ips is about 50-60/month for 30/10 max.

Business = dont host in your own house =) Lot more cost then just connection, gotta get some kind of redundancy and stuff.

We use rackspace but we pay alot more then 125. We also have a virtual server from 1 and 1 thats like 125-150 a month. We use that for one client. Rackspace is probably the best, but you pay for it. We got it mostly for support.

Out of curiosity... is this business large enough to warrant a dedicated server or was this more of a "I can so I will" type of thing? :) If the latter, look into DreamHost - if you don't like the idea of regular hosting, look at the DreamHost PS offering (virtual Private Server) which allows you to purchase resources on an already redundant system. Any resources you purchase are yours and will not be shared - they function as a guarantee, meaning your website(s) will always have X amount of resources but can still burst up-to as much as they need.

Just an idea...

As marley1 posted: if it's for a business, hosting from the house is out.

Yes, it is for business...

Yes, I do have the SpeedBoost with Static IP from Cablevision...

Yes, I will follow your advice and NOT host from my own house :p

The business, my company, is large enough to warrant a dedicated server, but unfortunately, not large enough to warrant RackSpace. I think RS is TOP of the TOP and the cheapest servers were in the $200 to $300 per month. But, I'm a FIRM believer that you get what you pay for.

So, at some point in the future... I will go with RS. Until then, I'll stick with GoDaddy.

Thanks guys!!

Back