What are my PSU options?

Zurginator

Gawd
I've got a 4-way 480 system with a 980x, running on a 1000w Strider Plus right now (I'm on borrowed time for sure :eek:)

Anyways, I was looking at the Strider Plus 1500 and the Corsair AX 1200, and was wondering if it's really worth dropping an extra $100+ for the Strider.

Or, if there is anything else coming around I haven't heard of, that would be awesome. Must be fully modular though.

I would go with Corsair AX1200, unless you're trying to go for extreme overclocks on your CPU and GPU's.

There is also the OCZ clone of the AX1200.... and I can grab that locally.

I am looking at 4.5-5ghz on my CPU (assuming I can pull that off considering I have 6 DIMMs). However, I won't be clocking the GPUs very much.

There is no such thing as a PSU clone unless it is the exact same OEM built on the exact same platform. That said, I believe that 1200 OCZ is built by Great Wall, which is completely different from CWT (which I believe is the AX1200 OEM). The reviews of the 1200w Great Wall units have generally been good, so that probably will be a good alternative for you.

Anyways, I was looking at the Strider Plus 1500 and the Corsair AX 1200, and was wondering if it's really worth dropping an extra $100+ for the Strider. .
Also consider Antec High Current Pro HCP-1200 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Good reviews on it,
[H]ardOCP Antec High Current Pro 1200W Power Supply Review
JonnyGuru Reviews - Antec High Current Pro 1200W

which is completely different from CWT (which I believe is the AX1200 OEM).
Acoording to JonnyGuru/OklahomaWolf,
that's certainly a different looking unit, isn't it? You say you don't recognize the layout as either Seasonic or CWT, like the rest of Corsair's units? That could be due to the fact that Corsair went to a new OEM on this one, Flextronics.

Only problem I have with that one is the lack of Modularity. This case does not have much room to spare to stow cables.
While you are right into the HCP1200 not bieng fully modular, as with the CP850, the cables that come none modular are almost used always, are the 24pin, CPU power, Sata n Molex, and couple of 6+2 for the the gpu, i think there was a 4pin for old mobos that i didnt use, but out of all only 1 cable i didnt use, the rest should be modular, thats why i think Antec doesnt do fully modular, cause there are some cables that you will use no matter what, either way the AX1200 is a great psu, so its up to you, if you think its going to affect your build then avoid the HCP1200.

Ah, well, thanks for correcting me. I just know that the OEM for the AX1200 was not Seasonic or Great Wall.

I don't think you need to be concerned with fully modular vs semi-modular. In most cases, the semi-modular PSU's have the connectors that are hardwired connectors you are going to use anyways (typically one SATA cable, two PCI-E cables, 4+4 pin CPU cable, and motherboard cable).

Thanks for the opinions guys, I'll just pick up the AX1200 at MicroCenter.

Question though: Does anyone have any info regarding the pin layout of the 24-pin connector of the AX?

Last edited:
Use google. It's common internet knowledge. They have diagrams for pinouts of all the standardized connectors, and most proprietary ones.

You could try asking Corsair support. Other than that, you can trace the cables back from the motherboard side to figure out what's what. It would be painstaking and time consuming, but if you really need that information, I don't know of another way to get it.

You could try asking Corsair support. Other than that, you can trace the cables back from the motherboard side to figure out what's what. It would be painstaking and time consuming, but if you really need that information, I don't know of another way to get it.
Was actually one step ahead there too. It's being looked into.

Back