What are my options for playing in HD

caynee

n00b
I have a 42" HD Ready Toshiba Projection TV i brought last year and im intrested in knowing what my options are as to playing games in HD. This is in reference to both current PS2 1080i compatiable games, and future PS3 games. I spoke to a electronics tech who said that the only way convert my TV into HD is by going through my cable company. I was always under the impression that just buying a HD convertor would allow me to play compatiable games in HD. Is the tech full of shit... or will a convertor not work?

caynee said:
I have a 42" HD Ready Toshiba Projection TV i brought last year and im intrested in knowing what my options are as to playing games in HD. This is in reference to both current PS2 1080i compatiable games, and future PS3 games. I spoke to a electronics tech who said that the only way convert my TV into HD is by going through my cable company. I was always under the impression that just buying a HD convertor would allow me to play compatiable games in HD. Is the tech full of shit... or will a convertor not work?
As far as just playing games goes, all you need is component cables from your Xbox/PS2/PS3 and to set the option in the game.

"HD Ready" basically means that the screen can handle HD signals, but there is no HD tuner built in. The tuner is used for television. So, if you want to watch TV in HD, you need to get a special add-on box (for over the air transmissions) or get a special HD cable box from your cable company.

But that's irrelevant to playing games in HD. Just use component cables and set the option in game or on the console, and you're good to go.

At least, that's how I understand it. I don't have an HDTV so if I'm mistaken in anything, someone please correct me.

the tech is full of shit.
you only need a convertor to watch TV. if you are going to play games you need any of the current gen systems and the proper component cable for them.

PS2 has less than 20 games that support P/Scan.
Xbox has almost everything.
All new GC games support P/Scan, only a few early games dont support it. (exception for Tales of Symphonia, no P/Scan support.) BTW, you can only get Progressive Scan on a GC if you have an older cube with the Digital Out, and you have the Component cable from Nintendo.com (Yes that is the ONLY place to get it, its not sold in stores.)

Other than that, check these game databases. They list new games and what they support.

HDTVArcade.com
HDgames.net

Back