What are going to be the new 'professional' games?

I remember playing way back and they played starcraft on TV like americans watch football.

G'ßöö said:

No link required, Just look at the money up for grabs for these games..

An "average" professional Starcraft player will bring in at least $250,000 a year. Counter-Strike 1.6 first place prizes totaled around $1 million last year.

Search boxer and starcraft on youtube. That guy is like the ubercelebrity in korea. Every korean girl = his !!!!!!.

CodeX said:
"Professional gaming" is a laughable concept to begin with.
supastar1568 said:
I was just gonna post that. I agree :cool:
And so is making a million dollar TV show/newspaper/magazine/website about what Celebrities do in their spare time.

"Professional gaming" is just another thing among the many other STUPID things we waste our time/money on in America. It's really sad how screwed up some peoples' priorities are.

I have to add though, the "professional gaming" thing isn't anywhere near the top of this list of "things."

If you get paid to play games, I think you are one lucky SOB! That's my dream job, shiiiit.

infiniti029 said:
The game, like any, takes PLENTY of skill if you want to excel at a high level. The amount of coordination, strategy, and teamwork involved can be a lot. Yeah I admit, the aiming system sucks, but just because a game is different in the style of play dosn't mean it's full of "noobs".

the average battlefield player simply isnt as good at fast paced gameplay that requires good mvoement and aim like a quake or unreal player is.

my friends and I are all excellent Quake 3 players, and the few times we played battlefield together online, we absolutely owned everything, i mean complete annihilation coming from nothing other than our quake skills, and the low bar for skill that exists in the battlefield servers. Its uber popular *because* it is so easy, and skill seperation isn't nearly as drastic as it is in quake or unreal.

brucedeluxe169 said:
the average battlefield player simply isnt as good at fast paced gameplay that requires good mvoement and aim like a quake or unreal player is.

my friends and I are all excellent Quake 3 players, and the few times we played battlefield together online, we absolutely owned everything, i mean complete annihilation coming from nothing other than our quake skills, and the low bar for skill that exists in the battlefield servers. Its uber popular *because* it is so easy, and skill seperation isn't nearly as drastic as it is in quake or unreal.
Yeah, I'm not trying to brag, but A LOT of people who play BF seem like the smoked a fat joint before they started playing. They just run off aimlessly looking for a vehicle to run their teammates over with unknowingly. Total retards, they don't read the chat at all, they don't hear stuff, just completely worthless.

And I usually do come up in the top 3 because most (I'd say 50%+) people who play battlefield just don't know how to play games at all it seems. They seem to never learn either! I've juked up to a lot of people with just a knife and they couldn't kill me with their primary weapons.

I've said this too many times to count "Damn, how can you suck THAT bad?"

Ironically I can rock out in Unreal Tournament and Q4 but I never rank high in BF :)

Luxor said:
And so is making a million dollar TV show/newspaper/magazine/website about what Celebrities do in their spare time.

"Professional gaming" is just another thing among the many other STUPID things we waste our time/money on in America. It's really sad how screwed up some peoples' priorities are.

I have to add though, the "professional gaming" thing isn't anywhere near the top of this list of "things."

If you get paid to play games, I think you are one lucky SOB! That's my dream job, shiiiit.

Man i totally agree

Luxor said:
Yeah, I'm not trying to brag, but A LOT of people who play BF seem like the smoked a fat joint before they started playing. They just run off aimlessly looking for a vehicle to run their teammates over with unknowingly. Total retards, they don't read the chat at all, they don't hear stuff, just completely worthless.

And I usually do come up in the top 3 because most (I'd say 50%+) people who play battlefield just don't know how to play games at all it seems. They seem to never learn either! I've juked up to a lot of people with just a knife and they couldn't kill me with their primary weapons.

I've said this too many times to count "Damn, how can you suck THAT bad?"

I wasn't talking about pub play, I was talking about matches with clans. Pub play is worthless. This game isn't about your KDR, and it's easy as hell to rackup your score by doing things other than shooting people.

"the average battlefield player simply isnt as good at fast paced gameplay that requires good mvoement and aim like a quake or unreal player is."
- I can agree with that because the precision needed for aiming in this game dosn't mean much. It's all about teamwork, and tactics. Plus you have to worry about things like helicopters, and tanks. It's my assumption that the number of veterans playing Quake/UT in a pub today is of a much higher percentage than those that play CSS, or BF.

brucedeluxe169 said:
because it isnt a skill based game like Quake or Unreal

characters move too slow, aim isn't so determined by the individual player, etc....

battlefield is for, and played by, noobs

Because its a team game you noob. There is individual skill combined with the team skill also. Cant be a rambo and support the whole team on your own shoulders in bf.

infiniti029 said:
I wasn't talking about pub play, I was talking about matches with clans. Pub play is worthless. This game isn't about your KDR, and it's easy as hell to rackup your score by doing things other than shooting people.

"the average battlefield player simply isnt as good at fast paced gameplay that requires good mvoement and aim like a quake or unreal player is."
- I can agree with that because the precision needed for aiming in this game dosn't mean much. It's all about teamwork, and tactics. Plus you have to worry about things like helicopters, and tanks. It's my assumption that the number of veterans playing Quake/UT in a pub today is of a much higher percentage than those that play CSS, or BF.

Yep because the FPS community has been stuck with team games for a long ass time granted I did start out with QW:TF which is actually CTF done right long as they dont fuck it up with TF2. All the 1v1 DM died off after quake 3 only reason its still played so much even now because nothing has stepped up in several years.

91ZX said:
anyone know of any competivite channels for starcraft or server?

PGT and WGT are both 3rd party ladders where lots of good players play, but neither of them are currently running. The two main english community websites are www.teamliquid.net and www.gosugamers.net

be warned though you will probably get crushed if you try and play a very good player.

Naruto said:
Because its a team game you noob. There is individual skill combined with the team skill also. Cant be a rambo and support the whole team on your own shoulders in bf.

lol thats the thing though... it really isn't hard to figure out the "tactics" needed to win a game like that... i mean seriously, when it comes to teamplay, Battlefield is not ANY deeper than UT2004's Onslaught.... yet the combat, the handling of your weapons and character are nowhere near as skill based.

And if you want to talk REAL strategy, try Rocket Arena 2v2 or 3v3.... THAT is real team based, and it requires shitloads of strategy and coordination to come out on top against a talented team.

I think Rainbow 6 Vegas will be played in pro tourneys for a while....I dont really see Gears of War being played in pro tourney....but who knows, it uses a lot of teamwork, so it might. Maybe UT2k7 when it comes out?

brucedeluxe169 said:

I actually agree w/ this guy. playing UT2k4 Instagib for about a year made me an extraordinary FPS player.
:D

brucedeluxe169 said:
lol thats the thing though... it really isn't hard to figure out the "tactics" needed to win a game like that... i mean seriously, when it comes to teamplay, Battlefield is not ANY deeper than UT2004's Onslaught.... yet the combat, the handling of your weapons and character are nowhere near as skill based.

And if you want to talk REAL strategy, try Rocket Arena 2v2 or 3v3.... THAT is real team based, and it requires shitloads of strategy and coordination to come out on top against a talented team.

Rocket Arena map strats vs any BF2/2142 map isnt even comparable. Go play a 8v8 or 12v12 cal match in bf2/2142 and get back with me.

Naruto said:
Rocket Arena map strats vs any BF2/2142 map isnt even comparable. Go play a 8v8 or 12v12 cal match in bf2/2142 and get back with me.
I was on a really good team for BF1942. The strats our team leader came up with were just incredible and so detailed I wondered how the guy had time to come up with them so fast in the week we had to practice. We won almost every match we played, mainly because of the strats...they were pure awesomeness. We didn't have all the best players, but the strats really did help the team win.

There is no way any quake game can compare. The GOOD strats in competitive 8v8+ BF games can't be compared to by anything else that I can think of.

Arguing the merits of quake versus multiplayer battlefield is asinine. They are completely different games. Yes, the BF series isn't the twitch shooter that the quake/ut/et al series have been, but that wasn't the aim of the game. The BF series is good because it brings people together and the tactics and teamwork of the entire team determine the outcome, not the work of a single player. Saying it's a bad game because of that is like saying paper is bad because you can write on it. You're criticizing a game for exactly the core elements that it holds up as it's feature set.

Conversely, the twitch shooters are excellent because they do exactly what the BF series doesn't. EVERYTHING is determined by a single player. If you lose a match, it's because you missed a shot or did something wrong. There's no one else to rely on and no one else to blame if something goes wrong. Some people like that aspect of it and others don't.

Like I said though, comparing the games is difficult. They're both FPSs, but at the same time they're completely different types of FPSs which is exactly why they're in different categories at LANs and tournaments. Throw a group of random professional quake players against a pro BF team and I'd be willing to bet the quakers would get handled. That said, the reverse is true as well: it's likely that a random pro BF player would get rocked in a 1v1 quake match against a pro quake player.

Stop saying either game sucks because it doesn't play like the one you prefer. If you don't like it, don't play it, but saying it sucks because of its features is ridiculous unless the features themselves are ridiculous and in this case, neither game is.

ok then, lets find the perfect middle ground then:

the Tribes series.....

*fantastic* 1v1 combat, absolute perfect aiming, skill based movement/weapons, with insanely deep tactics and teamplay.

best of both worlds, and believe me. i've played on Tribes teams with my quake buddies... completely owned other teams based solely on our ability to beat the shit outta the other players in individual combat. Even in a game as deep as Tribes 2, its the individual skill that matters more than "tactics". Remember, these are games.... games that 11 year olds can play just as well as adults, there really isn't anything too "deep" about these things, even at their highest level. Sure the *very best* Battlefield or Tribes teams might be coordinated, but I'd be willing to bet that it is their individual skill that sets them apart more than anything else.

Once again, I'm sure any Quake, Unreal players that read this would agree.... it doesn't take too long to figure out the "tactics" needed, because it really isn't that complicated.

Now the ability to hand the opposing players' ass to him as hes working his way to your flag.... THAT is where the success lies.

chrusher97 said:
PGT and WGT are both 3rd party ladders where lots of good players play, but neither of them are currently running. The two main english community websites are www.teamliquid.net and www.gosugamers.net

be warned though you will probably get crushed if you try and play a very good player.

yea i know but I like playing with people that are on that higher level. I used to play with people from teamliquid, cant believe there still around. Starcraft was the shit back in the day.

people play 2142 professionally? I didnt know professionals enjoyed playing crap. Wouldn't it be hilarious if right in the middle of a heated championship match the game crashed? lol!

UT2007 for sure, halo 3 for sure, maybe et:qw? not sure about its multiplayer options though.

Back