• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What are CALs and why do I need them?

dwk

Gawd
Joined
Jan 18, 2006
Messages
761
We have a windows 2003 server that is on its last leg that I inherited to manage and I am wanting to build a new server running windows 2008 to replace it. We have 24ish users that remote desktop to the server and run some accounting software on it and it has been that way before I inherited the server. I see the server has 15 CALs on it but not a single one of them is being used and I currently have 10 users on the server right now. Do I not need the CALs then for 2008? I know it will come with 5 CALs but I shouldn't need any extra right or am I missing something? Are CALs for AD only? :confused:
 
We have a windows 2003 server that is on its last leg that I inherited to manage and I am wanting to build a new server running windows 2008 to replace it. We have 24ish users that remote desktop to the server and run some accounting software on it and it has been that way before I inherited the server. I see the server has 15 CALs on it but not a single one of them is being used and I currently have 10 users on the server right now. Do I not need the CALs then for 2008? I know it will come with 5 CALs but I shouldn't need any extra right or am I missing something? Are CALs for AD only? :confused:
You will need server cals AND RD cals. Then you will need to determine user or device cals ( hint: user ).

They may not appear to be "checked out" because it's currently in user mode. I seem to recall 2003 not even bothering to track when in user mode. 2008 tracks but doesn't enforce.
 
Welcome to the psychosis called Microsoft Licencing.
 
You picked a good year to get into microsoft licensing... everything seems to be changing this year...
 
Welcome to the psychosis called Microsoft Licencing.
Pfft, THIS isn't even hard. Doesn't even rate. Server and RDP Cals are easy.

You want hard? Start looking at all the MS SQL licensing schemes, SA or otherwise. The license for the technology should never require more training to understand than the technology itself. If that's not a rule, it should be.
 
im totally stoked about the upcoming per-core licensing. :(

The System Center Changes are the ones I don't understand. It got so much cheaper to run. We are going to end up with about a thousand unused licenses if what our TAM said is true. He brought in a license guy to go over it and it just didn't make sense (from a Microsoft perspective).

Most like to entice new customers, I guess...
 
Back
Top