What AnitVirus For Single Server In A Small Business

DeChache

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a client that is adding a POS system to their small business. I have the POS system setup on Windows Server 2008 and they have 2 workstations running Windows 7.

What antivirus would you recommend to me to use in this case. I'm new to the small business consulting world and I am at a lose at what to use I'm used to the enterprise world were the choice is made. I looked at ESET NOD32 but I don't have 5 users so that would be a waste and most consumer Anti Viri won't install on Windows Server.

Let me know if I missed anything I'm typing this out on my phone.

Thanks for the advice.

Really enjoying Sophos Small business suite. Ideal and a great price! Deploys well on server and ne:Dtwork.

Really enjoying Sophos Small business suite. Ideal and a great price! Deploys well on server and ne:Dtwork.

I'll take a look thanks.

This is starting to get frustrating. I don't need a management console. I just want a good Antivirus that will install on a server OS

Id get the Eset package, youd have 2 extra licenses...tell the bosses they get it free for there machines at home

Id get the Eset package, youd have 2 extra licenses...tell the bosses they get it free for there machines at home

No go I can't sell them on the Idea of it. I keep just hearing we are using AVG free on our Desktops and it works fine why can't we use that.

Any other suggestions are welcome I'm about on wits end.

No go I can't sell them on the Idea of it. I keep just hearing we are using AVG free on our Desktops and it works fine why can't we use that.

Any other suggestions are welcome I'm about on wits end.

When you take avg off and their systems run 3000% faster, they will thank you

No go I can't sell them on the Idea of it. I keep just hearing we are using AVG free on our Desktops and it works fine why can't we use that..

Using free version of AVG, as well as free version of Avast, or MSE...in a business...is against the licensing. Free versions of those are free for home / home office use only.

Using free version of AVG, as well as free version of Avast, or MSE...in a business...is against the licensing. Free versions of those are free for home / home office use only.

Yea I know. Tell small town Joe Blow at the welding supply shop that. Gotta love consulting in the Corn Fields.

Gotta love it they wanna modernize but don't want to spend the money. I'm still fighting the battle of them not using the server as a POS terminal.

Edit: Wow I sound disgruntled.

Last edited:
It's OK, we all deal with the same thing...

I just leave it up to them. I explain it this way... "Your my boss (I'm not a consultant), I'll do what you want me to do. However, doing X, Y, or Z will violate TOS and you could be liable for hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines if Microsoft comes in an audits you. That will not be my fault if that happens. The ball is in your court".
Usually they always opt to do it the legal way :D Why- cuz obviously they'd be OK with YOU breaking the TOS, but when they realize they're the ones wanting to break the TOS- things change.

Seriously though, Eset is the best there is. Get business license of it- you don't even have to get the management console if you don't want to, but it does make it easier.

Yea I know. Tell small town Joe Blow at the welding supply shop that. Gotta love consulting in the Corn Fields.

Gotta love it they wanna modernize but don't want to spend the money. I'm still fighting the battle of them not using the server as a POS terminal.

Edit: Wow I sound disgruntled.

Yeah I know the feeling...I run across that often enough myself. Oh yeah, I forget to add Avira in that list....free edition..same rules.

Next move...tell them how useless AVG is...how horrible its detection rates are, that they might as well run without no AV at all.

Yeah I know the feeling...I run across that often enough myself. Oh yeah, I forget to add Avira in that list....free edition..same rules.

Next move...tell them how useless AVG is...how horrible its detection rates are, that they might as well run without no AV at all.

Any free edition is almost always just for personal use... Avira, Avast, MSE, AVG, whatever.

You didn't list Avast or MSE, plus I clarified the free edition is rarely for biz use.
Only "free" thing that I can think of that's free for biz and personal use might be Open Office and Firefox.

Drafting a rather long Email uses the post of this discussion as motivation. Thanks for all of the insight. Just starting to take the leap from Virus Removal to consulting and its kinda daunting.

I'm sure I'll have more stupid questions for you guys in the future.

Yea I know I stopped using AVG years ago. Ironically it is the most per license also.

Thanks again for all the advice.

I guess im the only dummy whos still a Symantec fan... I use Symantec Corporate on a lot of my clients. And Norton Antivirus on single computer systems that don't have a main server. I've always been a symantec user...

At home though I use microsoft essentials (cuz its FUHH REEEEEEEEE)

Symantec isn't bad. It's just I hate the way they ran their business, particularly the home lineup, for so long: I don't want to support a company like that. It'll take more than a couple good versions to change my opinion of them.

I use Symantec at work or well I guess it was chosen for me (Main job is Middle Sys Admin for a University) and SEP isn't that bad. But its almost $10 dollars a seat more than ESET.

Eset is going to be my recomendation as well. Kaspersky does a pretty good job as well although I prefer eset.

Best I can say is get the 5 user license. Can't generally buy less then that. I can't think of any ones home av that will install on server.

Back