What AM2+ SB750 MB ? (NO ASUS PLZ)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cerwinvega

Limp Gawd
As it says, looking for a new MB, and would prefer to stay away from ASUS.

PC is used primarily for gaming, is and will remain single GPU.

I'd like to move up to an SB750 board, something that will provide decent OC ability/features, and most importantly, with decent manufacturer support via BIOS updates, etc.

I wouldn't even be looking if it weren't for ASUS inability/refusal to address, or even acknowledge, BIOS issues with my current board.

For those that are curious, and patient enough to wait for the ASUS forum to load, you can read about the most pressing issue I and others are having, here. (6 page thread)

TL,DR: Current board doesn't provide adequate VCore control, for even stock settings with PII 920, with no help or even acknowledgment of the issue from ASUS after 3 months and 2 BIOS releases. Limited to 1.3000v in BIOS. Looking for a replacement board with better support.

My board in sig works awesome with my 940BE! I love it

Gigabyte MA790GP-UD4H

I was looking at that board this morning at newegg.

Not bad at all for ~$130, I've just never owned a Gigabyte product so wanted to get a few opinions before making a decision.

Have you had any issues at all with it ? Ever tried OCing the HT ? I have the 920, locked multi so...

I'd go with the GA-MA790X-UD4P at 109.99 the price performance is amazing. Just bought mine 2 weeks and its great! It OC's pretty damn well also.

I had the same board as you and i returned it back to compusa in town here due to the same issue...then i got the msi 790fx platinum...very nice board but sb600 and wierd bios to update and no replaceable bios chip...so i read all the reviews on the asus m4a79 dlx and returned the msi for this asus board...wow what a board...voltage is stable as a rock and 3 bios releases already...probubly the nicest board ive owned in a long time...i usually go for the 770 version as ive had real good performance from them,but i know you dont want to hear asus but im telling you this is a wonderful board..im not an asus fan boy but if you read reviews from testers that are paid to test or read user reviews this board kicks butt...asus has usually been very good with bios releases but the M378 pissed me of also..ran my volts at 1.39 and should be 1.32v ...temps were very high so i ditched the board after 1 week....but guy check out this m4a79 as its so fine....

i am getting an biostar TA790GX. it uses the latest chipset but is quite cheap so will see!

A buddy of mine just bought the Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P and a 955BE. The board acted weird from the start. We flashed bios', changed out all kinds of hardware and finally determined it was the board. At one point we popped a 720BE on the board and it ran like a champ... but not for long. This board DID manage to open the fourth core on the 720BE when using the F2 bios. There were booting issues, no video out ( tried two different videocards ) and at one point it just shut off. The board showed some promise, but this one was bad.

I have an Asus M3A78-T, that's a solid board, just disappointing overclocker. I expected better. Not to jump on the Asus bandwagon but my M3A79-T Deluxe is a fantastic board.

Same here. I'm looking to replace my POS M3A78-EM (mATX version) motherboard. It also limits us to 1.3V as well and auto setting just doesn't cut it.

Still waiting for more mATX SB750 boards...

I was looking at that board this morning at newegg.

Not bad at all for ~$130, I've just never owned a Gigabyte product so wanted to get a few opinions before making a decision.

Have you had any issues at all with it ? Ever tried OCing the HT ? I have the 920, locked multi so...

FSB and multi oc both work fine. My CPU_NB has ran fine up to 2400mhz on default voltage. I run hyper transport at 2ghz also default voltage no problems.

The only thing marginally better for oc'ing would be a 790fx chipset board, but they cost more and you don't get the backup dx10 graphics in case your main dies.

I'm super happy with the GigabyteGA-MA790x-UD4P ($109). I've done over thirty different MB installs and this was the quickest and easiest board. No problems whatsoever...dual boot setup Linux/ XP. Stable 3400Mhz OC for 2 weeks with P2X3BE. I dumped my Audigy 2 platinum for the onboard HD Audio. Personally I stay away from boards with on board video for several good reasons. My 2cd choice was the ASUSM3A79-T Deluxe. Have you made up your mind yet ?

ASUS has managed to leak a beta BIOS for my board that seems to be moving in the right direction. So for now I guess I'll stick with it. I really wouldn't be comfortable selling it as is so...wtf.

I've got an ABS Monolith sitting in the closet waiting for internals...so, I'll probably just leave my current rig as is and start spec'ing another build, maybe AM3 even, idk.

To all of you, thanks for taking the time to provide input, it is indeed appreciated, even if I have decided to stick with this board for now. I am kinda stuck with it unless I am willing to take the loss, so I'd like to at least try to make it work now that ASUS is showing it a little attention.

As it stands, manual control is now available up to 1.45v, so, we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back