What am I really missing?

dmdtobe

Weaksauce
Hey guys, just put together a light gaming PC. I've been out of the loop forever so all of these new SSD form factors, interfaces, and even NAND types were refreshing (and confusing) to read up on.

I ended up skimping on the storage and just recycled an old 256GB SSD I had laying around. I believe it's a 256GB Samsung 830 or 840 series SATA SSD from at least 5 years ago.

How much practical performance benefit am I missing out on by not switching to one of the new M.2 NVMe SSDs? Is the SATA -> NVMe performance jump as drastic as the HDD -> SSD performance jump?

For gaming... Maybe a few milliseconds in load times?

Short answer, no.

if current ssd is enough storage, no need for nvme.

Awesome, thanks! I guess I'll just wait until Black Friday or something and score a larger capacity SSD for cheap.

Awesome, thanks! I guess I'll just wait until Black Friday or something and score a larger capacity SSD for cheap.

Yup, upgrade if you can go cheap and neat but don't rush.

Diminishing returns. Like a lot of IT now.

The direction you went is fine. Save them pennies, make what you got go far. When it comes to single drive setups, or even mirrored setups.. Outside of bragging rights and a couple of points in some bench mark utility? You'll never noticed the difference with what you currently plan to use that machine for.

Back