• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What am I missing here?

nothing really amazing about it honestly. if your surprised, youre just like me about a month ago when i helped a friend buy and asus laptop. the things have just got a LOT better in the last 2 years, and honestly i think you should look into the asus laptops as youll find similar features and price, but a better brand of course.

also, even the core 2 solo 1.4 ghz is plenty fast for windows 7 and anything you normally do. its not a gaming cpu, but the dual core version would certainly run a handful of newer games without issue. also, find a better video chipset then the intel 4500. its not a bad video system, but you can do a lot better for similar cost. even the nvidia g105 is pretty damn nice for the cost.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220562 -no hdmi though, but you get the idea. the acer timelines seem to be popular, and im sure it would be fine. its just my memory of the mid 90's acer company... their cd burners. omfg their cd burners :(
 
Last edited:
nothing really amazing about it honestly. if your surprised, youre just like me about a month ago when i helped a friend buy and asus laptop. the things have just got a LOT better in the last 2 years, and honestly i think you should look into the asus laptops as youll find similar features and price, but a better brand of course.

also, even the core 2 solo 1.4 ghz is plenty fast for windows 7 and anything you normally do. its not a gaming cpu, but the dual core version would certainly run a handful of newer games without issue. also, find a better video chipset then the intel 4500. its not a bad video system, but you can do a lot better for similar cost. even the nvidia g105 is pretty damn nice for the cost.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220562 -no hdmi though, but you get the idea. the acer timelines seem to be popular, and im sure it would be fine. its just my memory of the mid 90's acer company... their cd burners. omfg their cd burners :(

Yes that seems to be it. The last time I was seriously looking around at laptops was quite a while ago.

I am liking the timeline because of the SSD, the battery life, and the thinless and weight of it. To be honest I wasn't really sure about the 4500HD. I know it won't play games too well, but will it choke on just simple things like aero?
 
aero is kosher on the 4500, i have win7 on my carpc with a 1.8ghz intel core (1st gen) chip and the intel hd4500 onboard. i cant say i notice any difference at all for anything besides games... but in games its no fun at all. however, it does do some video encoding and if you dont care about games whatsoever then its hard to say dont get it.
 
The real question is this - What are you using the laptop for? If you want to game, even WOW, you are looking at the wrong hardware. If you want to do HD video or video editing or 3d rendering this is not a good choice. If you want a laptop for web surfing, email, word processing and basic use along with a great amount of portability then this would be a great choice.

If you want to put a nail in, you wouldn't buy a screwdriver to pound it in would you? The right tool for the right job.
 
Primary things I do are programming, browsing the web, and hulu.

I really wouldn't mind getting a netbook but I have heard the atom isn't great for HD flash. Also, I have a 24 inch 1920x1200 monitor I want to hook this up to and I don't think a lot of the netbooks can output that high.
 
go to Tigerdirect.com they have lots of laptops with specs like those (Gateway, Compaq, Acer, HP) but they are under $500 --- no SSD though usually.
 
Primary things I do are programming, browsing the web, and hulu.

I really wouldn't mind getting a netbook but I have heard the atom isn't great for HD flash. Also, I have a 24 inch 1920x1200 monitor I want to hook this up to and I don't think a lot of the netbooks can output that high.

The mini 9 I had did that resolution just fine. Hulu at that resolution not so well. I would get a "real" cpu for Hulu.
 
go to Tigerdirect.com they have lots of laptops with specs like those (Gateway, Compaq, Acer, HP) but they are under $500 --- no SSD though usually.

Good call.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5210428&Sku=G180-15440

I have always used newegg but it seems tigerdirect has some pretty sweet deals on laptops as well.

Im thinking about waiting until after Windows 7 comes out though as it seems all of the newer models with DDR3 RAM are coming out after 7 launches.
 
IF your waiting on new hardware, that's fine, but if you want Win7 personally I'd buy a laptop NOW that had Vista and qualifies for the free windows 7 upgrade. That way you get two OS keys you can use.
 
Back
Top