What am I missing here (Pfsense)?

Private_Ops

[H]ard|Gawd
I've got my Pfsense setup with DHCPv4 only (I have no need for v6 on my LAN).

Subnet 192.168.1.0
Available Range 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254
Range 192.168.1.10 - 192.168.1.50 (I'm assuming this is what pfsense should hand out in the DHCP range)

I also have 192.168.1.75 assigned static to the PS4. (outside of the DHCP range).

Problem is, my desktop even if I do *ipconfig /renew* keeps getting 192.168.1.101 as an IP address. Wifes laptop does the same thing (I forget what address off hand but it's outside my assigned "range").

Only thing I'm noticing is that both computers show "preferred" beside the ip address in CMD.

Verify your settings, make sure you didn't typo the defined range.

Are you certain there's no other device on the network hosting a DHCP server? IIRC 'ipconfig /all' will tell you the IP address of the server that issued the IP address.

Have you tried doing a '/release' prior to the '/renew'? The DHCP server should reject the client's request for an address outside the configured range, but who knows. Doing a release should cause the client to forget the addressing info it had and not request the same.

Check to see if pfSense has any kind of debug log for the DHCP server.

make sure you hit apply after saving, also check DHCP static mappings at the bottom of the page

Verify your settings, make sure you didn't typo the defined range.

Are you certain there's no other device on the network hosting a DHCP server? IIRC 'ipconfig /all' will tell you the IP address of the server that issued the IP address.

Have you tried doing a '/release' prior to the '/renew'? The DHCP server should reject the client's request for an address outside the configured range, but who knows. Doing a release should cause the client to forget the addressing info it had and not request the same.

Check to see if pfSense has any kind of debug log for the DHCP server.

I have my router (Archer C7) doin wirelss/switch duties. I remember disabling it's DHCP.

When you say subnet did you mean 255.255.255.0 or 192.168.1.0/24 ?

When you say subnet did you mean 255.255.255.0 or 192.168.1.0/24 ?

Looking at the DHCP server service page.

Attachments

• DHCP.jpg
    DHCP.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 38
I have my router (Archer C7) doin wirelss/switch duties. I remember disabling it's DHCP.

Have you run 'ipconfig /all' on the affected computers to confirm that they are not still getting address info from this device (or some other that's not the pfSense host)?

Also don't you need to release and then renew depending onot lease times

If you don't do a release then the client will simply request the same address it already has. Doing the release will cause the client to send notice to the DHCP server to discard its lease (i.e., forget any info about its reservation) and do the same locally. The subsequent DHCP request won't ask for a specific IP address.

Back