What am I doing wrong?

Tech-Daddy

Gawd
Ok guys, I am perplexed. This should have been simple, but has been anything but.

components: ASUS p8Z77 V LK motherboard, i3 3225, ocz ssd hard drive. As I install the os, it gets past the initial software loading of windows 7. As the windows graphic swirls! It blows a tire and bsod's with a 0x1e error (all other pointers are 0x0 ). At first, I thought it was the motherboard, so I worked with asus and rma'd the original motherboard. Got it back and plugged everything in, booted up to the bios, checked everything out. Looked good. Tried to install the os, and again.... Bsod's the same error message to me. Research a little on the CPU and see that it supports 1333/1600 ddr3. I noted that the gskill I was using was running faster than the CPU was rated for, so I went out and bought 1300 ram... Same error. I swapped the hard drive in case something was wrong with the target, same error. Changed the board from ah I to IDE ... Same error. Installed a discrete graphics card just in case the integrated hd4000 gpu in the CPU was suspect, same issue. The only thing I have not changed out, altered settings on is the CPU.

Having never built a z77 based build, this is leaving a larger than large "foul" taste in my mouth. Am I missing something here? I'm no rookie, but Lordy, this build is making me feel stupid! :)

I'm contacting intel tomorrow to try and swap the CPU, as that is the only part I have not traded/swapped, but that is likely going to take a few days. If anyone here has any suggestions, I would certainly appreciate and welcome your suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
Craig

I don't think it's your cpu, but another one of the other parts. My google-fu shows 0x1e error to be related to third party drivers.

I would disable all the devices you're not using in the bios and see what happens.

Additional sata controllers, usb3, com, etc.

Has the motherboard's BIOS been updated to the latest version? 0908 as of this writing. You can find links to the latest BIOS (and drivers, when you get to that point) here.

Has the RAM been tested with Memtest86+ or HCI Memtest? Both can be found on the very useful PartedMagic.

Follow this Win7 Install For SSDs walkthrough from the beginning:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

Install WIn7 from a USB stick instead, to rule out issues with the DVD drive. That walkthrough describes in great detail how to make USB install stick for either MBR or GPT.

Are you using the grey SATA2 ports or the blue SATA3 ports for the SSD?

Disconnect all other SATA drives besides the SSD (and the DVD drive if you choose not to use a USB stick). Especially if you have HDDs in RAID. Speaking of which, do you have RAID turned on in the BIOS?

Has the motherboard's BIOS been updated to the latest version? 0908 as of this writing. You can find links to the latest BIOS (and drivers, when you get to that point) here.

Has the RAM been tested with Memtest86+ or HCI Memtest? Both can be found on the very useful PartedMagic.

Follow this Win7 Install For SSDs walkthrough from the beginning:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

Install WIn7 from a USB stick instead, to rule out issues with the DVD drive. That walkthrough describes in great detail how to make USB install stick for either MBR or GPT.

Are you using the grey SATA2 ports or the blue SATA3 ports for the SSD?

Disconnect all other SATA drives besides the SSD (and the DVD drive if you choose not to use a USB stick). Especially if you have HDDs in RAID. Speaking of which, do you have RAID turned on in the BIOS?

Bios is updated to 0908, it does not even get to the point where I could enter a new set of drivers. It's the text mode installation load at the very beginning, and I have put the install on USB to isolate the sata DVD drive. I have tried the installs on both the blue ports as well as the grey ports, same problem. I have swapped ram between gskill. Generic, Patriot... Have not run memtest86, will try that tonight.

I will step through the bios and shut down everything that is not needed, and will read the links provided, thank you. I have removed the ssd in favor of an older wd raptor, and still get the bsod' error.

I have been thinking that it is a memory issue, as well, my concern is it is the memory controller on the CPU. Guess more testing will bear that out. The CPU, at this point, is the only thing that has not been changed.

Boot any Linux desktop CD, for example Mint 13 MATE. If that crashes too then you still have some hardware fault, e.g. a bad CD drive. If Linux works fine, then it's a software problem, such as a corrupted Windows installer.

Are you using integrated graphics? If so, turn off virtu. Are you using a video card? If so, turn off virtu AND disable onboard. If you are using an NVidia card, step the PCIE speed down to gen2. Is your XMP profile set up properly in you RAM? If not, it can cause problems: especially with RAM that is rated over 1333 CL10.

That is about all I can think of right now.

I'll throw another one out there: what is the source of your Win 7 install? If you're using a retail disc, maybe it's not good or is missing a necessary driver; you can get the Win7 SP1 .iso that matches what you have from the walkthrough I linked to, near the beginning under "Windows 7 ISO download links".

I'll throw another one out there: what is the source of your Win 7 install? If you're using a retail disc, maybe it's not good or is missing a necessary driver; you can get the Win7 SP1 .iso that matches what you have from the walkthrough I linked to, near the beginning under "Windows 7 ISO download links".

Source Binaries are a retail copy of Win7 Home Premium w/SP1. Purchased from MS at their store. Pretty confident in their legitimacy. I also have already built a machine with them, so I know the DVD structure is intact and good. Will be readin the links shortly, 2 hrs of MemTest+86, no errors.

Going to check out the Virtualization switch, forgot all about that!
Thank you all!
-=Craig

Is the memory you are using on the board on the approved memory list for the board?

On Asus boards with UEFI, you need to have "UEFI and Legacy" or something like that enabled in the boot options (I cant remember the exact name of it). I had the exact same issue with my install on a Sabertooth board with UEFI, it would install windows but crash on the intial boot because the board defaulted to UEFI boot and Windows 7 does not support that, only Windows 8.

On Asus boards with UEFI, you need to have "UEFI and Legacy" or something like that enabled in the boot options (I cant remember the exact name of it). I had the exact same issue with my install on a Sabertooth board with UEFI, it would install windows but crash on the intial boot because the board defaulted to UEFI boot and Windows 7 does not support that, only Windows 8.

I know exactly what you are talking about, and where it is in the BIOS. Will confirm th settings, much appreciated!

-=Craig

I know exactly what you are talking about, and where it is in the BIOS. Will confirm th settings, much appreciated!

-=Craig

Great, I'll check back later to see if you found a solution. Hopefully someone here can get you up and running!

Had the exact same experience with my friends Intel Build. Bios worked fine but once we tried to install Windows the image was all distorted and we got BSOD. We kept trying and the furthest we got was like half way before it would BSOD. We swapped out every part and still BSOD. After a lot of time wasted it turned out to be a bad CPU.

It happens...

So, just to bring everyone up to date, I have just received my replacement CPU from intel, and dropping that into my rma'd motherboard, and os install just went off without a hitch!

Bum mobo and a bum processor from different vendors.... That was frustrating!!!!
Thank you Everyone for you advice and assistance, learned a ton, so thank you!
-=Tech-Daddy=-

Back