• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

what am i doing wrong?

ocbaud

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Nov 3, 2000
Messages
5,906
asus a8n-e
amd64 3200+ venice
2x512mb kingston hyperx ddr400 memory


its not letting me over clock at all!!!

i've tried a bunch of stuff and most of the time it wont let me even boot into windows.
right now i've got it set at this:

htt: 220mhz
cpu: 10x
ht multi: 4x
memory: 333mhz

in the bios it shows its running at 2200mhz but when i get into windows its only showing 2000mhz in any program including cpuz.

it does however show that my memory is only running at 333mhz and not any faster.

what am i doing wrong?
 
DaMiEn said:
Lower HT multi to 3x
Have you turned cool 'n quiet off?

never had cool 'n quiet on

what will it help lowering the ht multi more? it should still be running below 1000mhz as i have it at 220x4

ok, after a reboot i ahve the same settings, but the memory set back to 200mhz.... and no change, still no overclock in windows
 
dropped it down to 3x and it didnt do anything for me
 
so any body guess what is wrong with my system or more than likely the way i'm using it?
 
If dropping HTT to 3x didn't help, try lowering the cpu multiplier to see if it is either limited by the bus or the cpu itself.
 
i've tried 9x, 9.5x, and 10x, all will not let me over clock. after changing the settings, it will register in the bios that ts running overclocked, but as soon as windows boots up, cpuz and anything else say its running the stock speed

it will howerver underclock if i try that.
 
I'm grasping at straws right now but lemme suggest a bios flash to see if that fixes the issue.
 
Xilikon said:
I'm grasping at straws right now but lemme suggest a bios flash to see if that fixes the issue.

no go, was running 1010, and now running 1011 and am still having the same problems
 
alright, it seems as though if i attempt to overclock it will post fine, but as soon as it SHOULD be loading windows, the hd activity stops.

i'm running a WD 250gb sata2 drive on sata port 1, if any of that matters. i tried swapping it to port 4 but that didnt help any
 
On my Asus board I have to make sure all the speeds are set to manual instead of auto in order to overclock. If I set my memory or multiplier to auto and raise the FSB other things clock down. With them set to manual they follow the FSB.
 
Brad1011a said:
On my Asus board I have to make sure all the speeds are set to manual instead of auto in order to overclock. If I set my memory or multiplier to auto and raise the FSB other things clock down. With them set to manual they follow the FSB.
yeah, i've got everything at manual.

when the computer boots up and after the post screen when it shows all the devices and loads the harddrive, it shows that its at the correct overclocked speed, but when windows comes up, and it usually doesnt at that point, it shows the normal nonoverclocked speed
 
I don't know much about Clockgen, but could there be a conflict with that (if it starts up with Windows)? Also are you using the AMD Processor driver? I never had it installed, and haven't had any trouble overclocking (I think it works with C&Q).
 
Brad1011a said:
Oh and congrats on the baby! April is my B-Day too.
me and my fiancee both were born on april 2nd..... so haha


yeah, clockgen isnt causing a problem either.
 
damnit!

ok, i SHOULD be running at 2150mhz right now

cpu: 10x
htt: 215mhz
ht: 4x
cpu voltage: 1.45v
ddr voltage: 2.75


in the bios, after a reboot, it shows that i'm running at the correct speed,but in windows, its all showing like its not overclocked!
 
ocbaud said:
damnit!
in the bios, after a reboot, it shows that i'm running at the correct speed,but in windows, its all showing like its not overclocked!
That's what made me think it's a utility or something else that starts with Windows. What's the speed when you boot in safe mode?
 
Brad1011a said:
That's what made me think it's a utility or something else that starts with Windows. What's the speed when you boot in safe mode?

in safemode its running at normal non overclocked speed.

in msconfig, i've got NO programs that run at startup that would have any affect on that, i dont ever use any software to overclock with and i just downloaded clockgen to test this problem.
 
The anti-overclocking gremlin? I'm stumped. And you didn't install the 'AMD Processor Driver'?
 
Brad1011a said:
The anti-overclocking gremlin? I'm stumped. And you didn't install the 'AMD Processor Driver'?
i've never installed a processor driver on any system i've ever built.

the hypertransist speed DOES change when ever i lower the multiplier down from 5x to 4x or 3x

my first system was a abit kt7 and my last one was an epox 8rda+, and they both had award bios, which i liked much more than the asus bios
 
Brad1011a said:
Does the mobo have 'auto-overclockig' options? If so do those work?
it does, and they do not work either.

i've done some research and found that some people have had problems with this same exact thing with bios 1010+, so i'm gonna attempt to use some older bios to see if that works to fix it. so far 1010, 1011, 1008, 1006, all dont fix it, i'm gonna try 1005 tonight and see if that works
 
Perhaps in the future you will figure it out, but you'll damage the processor with overclocking zeal. In that moment where transistors start frying, a vortex is created in the space-time continuum into which you go back in time and write a script in your Windows install that disables overclocking, preventing the damage.


(Can you tell I'm bored?-I'm installing X-Plane v8 w/ Global Scenery. It's a seven dual-layer 60GB DVD install.)
 
Brad1011a said:
Perhaps in the future you will figure it out, but you'll damage the processor with overclocking zeal. In that moment where transistors start frying, a vortex is created in the space-time continuum into which you go back in time and write a script in your Windows install that disables overclocking, preventing the damage.


(Can you tell I'm bored?-I'm installing X-Plane v8 w/ Global Scenery. It's a seven dual-layer 60GB DVD install.)
i'm about ready to order another board, and i would if it wasnt for me not wanting to reinstall windows again :(

think i would have much of a problem swapping this for another nforce4 ultra board?
 
Any news on this?
I have the same board and a Opty 146 waiting in box. I should have the rest of stuff soon
for a new build. I have been reading all I can on settings and problems.

Seems like I read of a similar problem that turned out to be no Floppy drive installed. After hooking one up all overclock settings took in Windows.

Good luck
 
DRS56 said:
Any news on this?
I have the same board and a Opty 146 waiting in box. I should have the rest of stuff soon
for a new build. I have been reading all I can on settings and problems.

Seems like I read of a similar problem that turned out to be no Floppy drive installed. After hooking one up all overclock settings took in Windows.

Good luck
hmm... i gotta try that tonight, cause i dont have a floppy hooked up. i've got it disabled in the bios and i'll enable it first before actually installing one.

any link to where you got that info?
 
:eek: Hard to believe you would have to go back that far with bios version's. When I was researching the board there were some good overclock's with newest bios. It just seems
like there has to be something simple wrong. Like a setting or hardware issue.
I looked around for a link but can't find it. I know I was going to make sure I had a new floppy to install because of what I read. I remember it was trying all kinds of settings to get it to work and turned out to be no floppy drive installed. Wish I could find the link. Sounds funny but I am sure I read it.
Hope it is not a bad board. :(

Let me know,
Thanks
 
DRS56 said:
:eek: Hard to believe you would have to go back that far with bios version's. When I was researching the board there were some good overclock's with newest bios. It just seems
like there has to be something simple wrong. Like a setting or hardware issue.
I looked around for a link but can't find it. I know I was going to make sure I had a new floppy to install because of what I read. I remember it was trying all kinds of settings to get it to work and turned out to be no floppy drive installed. Wish I could find the link. Sounds funny but I am sure I read it.
Hope it is not a bad board. :(

Let me know,
Thanks


THANK GOD!

enabled the floppy drive and am now running at 2.3ghz

thanks man, the problem is with the diabled floppy drive :rolleyes:
 
Back
Top