What am I doing wrong here? Venice OCing HELP!

BeeIzebub

Weaksauce
Ok, I've got my dfi lanparty with some ocz ram and a 3000 venice. Both vcard and cpu are watercooled and run at about 30-32 celcius. I am following eclipses guide ( http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=888001 ) but my max fsb is about 244 stable. I have a new 500w antec smartpower(3 hd's, 2 optical). According to my Smartguardian, the voltage on the cpu is at 1.36v not 1.4. What gives? I have it setup in the bios like he says to do in FSB overclocking, and I'm using clockgen to increase the fsb in windows. Why cant I get over 244 stable? I have the sata cables plugges into the top two of the four.

If I can reach 300fsb on a 4 or 5 cpu multiplyer, but no mult after that, does that mean its my cpu thats limited? How much can I increase the chipset voltage?

You might wanna check out this thread, lukano had nearly the same hardware, and pretty well documented his overclocking with it.

I read that he had 4 power connectors plugged into the mobo. I have only the 24pin atx, quad pin(yellow black) and the molex. What am I missing? The only other thing I see is the floppy connector, but isnt that for sli?

I also recommend reading that thread. I have the exact same hardware as your and founf overclocking very difficult in the beginning. That thread documents my entire journey. :)

Yes, plug in that floppy connector! That board needs every bit of juice for a good overclocking result. Also, you shouldn't use the top two SATA ports, since those are unlocked- when you overclock the board, you're overclocking those too, which can lead to corrupted data. Anyway, as others have said, look at Lukano's thread- he went through nearly everything while trying to overclock his chip.

ok well I plugged the sata into the bottom two of the four and it made no difference, while I was at it I plugged in the floppy connector to the mobo and still same situation. I think this cpu I got sucks butt at overclocking. I'l prob get a 3200 and send this one back. I'm sure they wont mind getting another 60 bucks out of me. As for the SATA, only the super expensive SLI versions have the extra 4 sata. Do I need to have those extras and use them on my hdd's if I want to OC? Which numbers on the ones I have are the ones I should be using? The bottom two are 1 and 2 , the top(closer to cpu) are 3 and 4.

Back