What about using oil instead of water ???

mashie said:
Not all systems leak so replace when with if.

As for using oil instead of water, well first off it is aweful for conducting heat compared to water. Secondlly, the viscosity of oil will kill all water pumps, and pumps suitable for oil has amost no flow instead so not much good for transfer heat from your blocks.

Just forget the idea, consider it a bad dream or something.

a real nightmare would be a leaking waterloop frying my computer :eek:

If you're really worried about parts dying from a leak, buy yourself some PC Ice, MCT-5, or Fluid XP. All of them are non conductive, and cool way better than oil.

a real nightmare would be a leaking waterloop frying my computer

Built a system earlier this week... tension of tubing managed to unscrew a barb on CPU Block partially whilst the PC was on and running. I noticed this 2hrs later when level in the T-Line had dropped 6"... back of GPU and mobo from top PCI-E slot down was covered and dripping with pure distilled H20... no additives etc at all, just plain distilled water. PC was functioning perfectly fine thru-out... no glitches... no alarm bells... everything working perfectly.

Soon as I noticed, I shut-down system, stripped and resolved leaking thread. Mopped up the excess water, fired it back up... all was fine.

It should be noted that the loop in question contained solely brass, copper and delrin in contact with the coolant.

Deduce from this info what you will.

On the other side its impossible to build a cooling loop without using more than one metal , so with using water as coolant u cant avoid corrosion and thats definitly a big con .

You need to be more aware of the galvanic table. The nearer two metals are within this table, the less the chance of corrosion between the two. The greater the distance, the more likely you'll get corrosion. If those metals are side by side in the table (such as Coppers and Brasses), then it would take a hell of a lot to cause corrosion between them... and I mean a HELL of a lot. It is simple to build a loop consisting of copper and brass alone. U won't see any corrosion in such a loop using plain distilled with no additives of any form.

What we have in this thread is folks questioning the knowledge of a hundred years (or more) of Metallurgy, Thermal Engineering, ThermoDynamics, and FluidDynamics... and the qualified professional minds (not the local car mechanic or laithe operator) of the world within these fields will all tell you that water is the best coolant for our purposes, and indeed more or less any scenario where there is a high heatload to remove. You're finding problems where there are none to find. The corrosion issue is solely due to manufacturers insisting on using metal materials other than copper and brass in areas where it will come into contact with coolant. These items can be avoided by buying the right hardware to start with... then all you need is good ole distilled water. Nothing more, nothing less... however, there will always be the crowd that want stuff that LOOKS good, rather than stuff that IS good. The simple solution is use one of the automotive anticorrosive additives in your water in such a case. Job done.

Watercooling is no new thing, and it's no different in it's application in PCs than it is in any other piece of industrial hardware that is watercooled. All the research done in the Automotive and Thermal Engineering industries has already been applied to our scene in the best ways possible. This isn't a scene that requires folks to question why things are the way they are... it's more a scene where the users don't UNDERSTAND why things are the way they are, won't listen to why things are the way they are, and therefore every few years / months or so, the same old questions pop up... such as the one on which this thread is based. The issue has been bashed out thru the ages by the best of the best and the worst of the worst, the conclusions will always be the same... u can't beat good old H20.

Awesome post, Marci.
And, the only metal in my loop is copper, FWIW. Unless you decide to buy euro, most American companies only use copper, acrylic and/or delrin, the two latter being plastics, and not posing a corrosion threat.

Maybe u are using only copper and brass in your loop .... and what about the fittings ??? and the solder used to connect the tubes in ur radiator ??? Not copper neither brass i guess.
I guess most people forget about that .
I have read a lot of threats where people do have problems with corrosion even using "one" metal in their loop , and using anticorrosion chemicals .
Only because water has been used for hundreds of years and the best of the best have told that water is the best it doesnt really mean that it is so .

For thousands of years the best of the best have told that water and oil dont mix ....as Diablo2K posted in this threat , they do mix .

So whats wrong with thinking about something else that could work and discussing such ideas in a threat ....thats what forums are for or am i wrong ??? :D

You're missing the point. In a closed watercooling loop, water outperforms oil. Pumps used in todays watercooling loops were not made to pump oil.

and what about the fittings ???
Most tend to be brass plated with nickel to give a chromed appearance. Again, refer to galvanic table.
and the solder used to connect the tubes in ur radiator ???
A tin/brass alloy - again, refer to galvanic table. Lead based alloys no longer used - against RosH regs in EU.

All so close to each other that corrosion is highly unlikely in a distilled water solution. Companies with sense use parts selected for scientificly determined reasons. Other companies use parts and consumables based on cost, looks or convenience, which generally results in the scientific reasons being ignored, thus resulting in hardware which will cause corrosion in a loop. I'd call that a result of bad marketing and lack of research on behalf of the end-user who purchased such hardware. Again, down to a lack of understanding from both parties rather than a problem with watercooling / coolant choice per-se...

Marci said:
Most tend to be brass plated with nickel to give a chromed appearance. Again, refer to galvanic table.

A tin/brass alloy - again, refer to galvanic table. Lead based alloys no longer used - against RosH regs in EU.

Seems u really know what u r talking about , i appreciate that .
If i may ask u some more question ... u said lead based solder is no longer used due to EU regs , what about parts that are made in USA or the far east ??? How can i make sure they know about the galvanic table ??? :confused:

Lead no longer used in products that have to be RosH compliant. Not all products. However, in the case of (for instance) ThermoChill and HWLabs radiators, there is no lead present in the solder used.

There are only radiators where you will find solder in contact with coolant. Haven't a clue what Far-East production is currently using... I have no experience with manufacture of their products.

Simplest solution - email the manufacturer and ask for a list of ALL materials used within a product. If they don't reply, then cross that manufacturer of your list of potentials.

Most companies KNOW about it... however, when it comes to watercooling some tend to ignore it... mainly those who are not watercooling-specific (Thermaltake etc).

Marci said:
Lead no longer used in products that have to be RosH compliant. Not all products. However, in the case of (for instance) ThermoChill and HWLabs radiators, there is no lead present in the solder used.

There are only radiators where you will find solder in contact with coolant. Haven't a clue what Far-East production is currently using... I have no experience with manufacture of their products.

Simplest solution - email the manufacturer and ask for a list of ALL materials used within a product. If they don't reply, then cross that manufacturer of your list of potentials.

Most companies KNOW about it... however, when it comes to watercooling some tend to ignore it... mainly those who are not watercooling-specific (Thermaltake etc).

Thermochill and HWlabs actually are the most expensive rad on the market , no ofense but way out of my league for what i could spend for watercooling parts .

U got any idea with what the aluminum rad are hold together ???

I don't know of any rads that are significantly cheaper than HWlabs... And thermochill is more expensive because they don't outsource their manufacturing to 12 year olds in China.

game14 said:
In certain point ur right , but when it comes to cool a turbocharger many times an oilcooler is used to cool it down . I guess they use water to cool the engine because its simply easier to use and u can keep the presure of the coolingsystem down .
I guess a proper working oilcooled system would mean to work with higher pressure , may cause the blocks to leak .
On the other hand it doesnt have to be exactly motoroil ...there a lots of oils out there that might work .

i might be miss reading... but oil isnt used to cool a turbo.. its used to keep it lubed up.. but with the speed the turbo is spinning it get the oil really hot which an oil cooler is used to cool

U got any idea with what the aluminum rad are hold together ???

Does it really matter?? The rad itself is aluminium... that's bad enough...

Marci said:
Does it really matter?? The rad itself is aluminium... that's bad enough...

it matters to me !! whats so bad about an aluminum rad ??? at least it weights much less than a copper rad !! :D

He's saying that a loop with an aluminum rad and copper blocks will have corrosion no matter what you use to hold the aluminum rad togethor.

penguin said:
He's saying that a loop with an aluminum rad and copper blocks will have corrosion no matter what you use to hold the aluminum rad togethor.

oh .....got it , thx. :D

Back