What about Dual Core GPU's?

Catsonar

[H]ard|Gawd
Now that the future seems to be leading to a dual core processor, will they bring this technolgy to Video Graphics arena. Will this happen or what? I just thought of this the other day, curious. What's your input on the idea, and if there is anything you have heard feel free to add. Thx :)

look up XGI, they are workin on a dual proccessor card, but not dual core

and of course, who could forget the almighty voodoo 5 6000 :F

Don't forget the Rage Fury MAXX. That pile of crap was dual processor as well. So it can be done. But I think dual X800XT cores would seriously be too much for the AGP bus, and voltage requirements would be insane.

It would be badass in PCI-Express though.

yea it had dual procs, but they thread is about dual core, which is 2 cores in one package, not just 2 seperate chips.
Imagine a dualcore X800XT on the dual card alienware system....
*dies*

^^

Dual Core != Dual Chip

Dual cores means two cores in one package on one board, not two chips on one board.

Yes,

Thank you Rizen for clearing that up for me. I know, I have heard a great deal about the Famous Voodoos and all, but the reason for today company's not going with the dual chip was because it wasn't cost effective. On the other hand, Dual core doesn't cost as much cause your putting the power of two into one package, bringing cost down. Now, this is my question, have ATI or Nvidia or any others given any thought as to incorporating this idea into there future products or what? The semi-conductor industry are now headed in that direction, and at full throtle. I mean don't you think that this would be a cost effective idea, that would really bring great performance increases to the Graphic Industry?

OPINIONS PLZ

HWZ : There has been a lot of talk about dual core products lately and we've recently seen a solution from XGI that uses two graphics processors. ATI used to have a product (ATI Rage Fury MAXX) with dual processors as well. Do you think there's future in that area?

Dave : There's always this trade-off that whether you go bigger with this single piece of silicon or do you partition this silicon effectively. Where is the right boundary? I think at the fundamental level, you try to integrate as much as you can into a single piece of silicon or chip. The economies of scale for silicon says that there's a natural point where you cross over, a larger die becomes less cost effective than two dies with half the size. So you look at that and at the same time you look at what problems you're trying to solve and do they scale effectively in a single piece of silicon. If you look at the power envelope of a board today, we believe a single piece of silicon can deliver the highest performance solution. So if you think of a 75W solution at US$499 retail price point, you kind of define pricing and power as two parameters you're dealing with. We actually believe a single chip solution can provide a better alternative than multiple chip solution. But it is an area that we innovated in the past and we continue to evaluate from a hardware and software standpoint on what's the right thing to do at each point of the market. I think for graphics, we're pretty convinced that a single chip is the better way to go right now.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=766624

Badboy, intresting article

from what I read, i couldn't agree more with what they where saying, but there is something that caught my eye when reading. In the last sentence they say " I think for graphics, we're pretty convinced that a single chip is the better way to go right now", well that the whole point of what I mean, "one chip" ,like he said, but two cores. Single chip is the future right, just with dual cores. :) but that's my opinion.

Well there is a monster video card for sale that consists of for 9800 PRO cores!!! and offer 24xaa at the performance hit of 6xaa.

So it sure can speed up performance but it´s not very cost effective ;) There is a reason why nVidia and ATI have steered away from it. And XGI don´t look to successful with their Volari either. It will be interesting to see what route they take in the future though.

Dual core R420 with 32 pipes would be the way to go without a doubt. Add 512MB of ram and look at 100+FPS of Farcry in 1600x1200 with some AA and AF. That should give the old AGP 8X bus a workout.

Or we could just go all out. Get a dual core Geforce 6800 Ultra chip so we can have 4 molex connectors and require 300W's just for the video card! So they can bundle 700Watt PSU's with it and charge $1300 for the damn thing.

If I remember correctly, wasn't there a quadruple Radeon 9700 Pro card that was made for military simulations that could do insane amounts of AA and AF? There was a picture of the card on some Japanese site, and it was not available to the public.

dual cores is the most useless thing in graphics, the whole point of it in CPUs is to act like dual procs, and process 2 things simultaneously. while this parrelism is a huge step for cpus, graphics are already parallel. infact, interms of the way that they work, the 6800 and x800xt already have 16 pixel pipes, so they are already like a 16 way parallel (4 way if you count by quad) processing unit, dual cores would require much more work because you would have to figure out how to get the two to split the load, and on top of that you have to figure out how to fit upwards of 300M transistors on one die. plus you would get memory bandwidth contention. it is a far better idea to simply increase the number of quads than replicate the entire core.

BooyaAchieved said:
If I remember correctly, wasn't there a quadruple Radeon 9700 Pro card that was made for military simulations that could do insane amounts of AA and AF? There was a picture of the card on some Japanese site, and it was not available to the public.

I don´t know there was a triple 9700 PRO card that was available for the public though.

Now there is a quadruple 9800 PRO card that is available for the public. You have to be rich though.

Back