What a non Founder's Edition card looks like.

cageymaru

Fully [H]
More cards are revealed.
Custom GeForce GTX 1080/1070 cards, what we know | VideoCardz.com

First custom GTX 1080.
First custom GeForce GTX 1080 is here, GP104-400 confirmed | VideoCardz.com

I advise you all to spring for the Nvidia Founder's Edition. Call me an AMD fan all you want, but this looks like sh*t to me. I think the Nvidia in house design is worth $100.

GALAX-GeForce-GTX-1080-box-900x705.jpg

GALAX-GeForce-GTX-1080-front-900x408.jpg

GALAX-GeForce-GTX-1080-back-900x406.jpg

Real Nvidia Founder's Edition designed cooler.

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-Graphics-Card_4.jpg

nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-Back.png

Last edited:
I'm in the camp that says I don't care how it looks as long as it is quiet and cools well.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
I'm in the camp that says I don't care how it looks as long as it is quiet and cools well.

I'd rather have the one with the back plate personally.

That's just one example, I"m sure not all will look like that.

You have to save money in this day and age. That's why there are premium products and products for regular Joe's.

It would be nice if the Nvidia one would have the model of card lit up on the side, like GTX1080, instead of just GeForce GTX.

Agree with OP about a backplate. I doubt we see those on $600 models.

It goes inside a case . . .

I can see in my case as it has a window and sits on a stand with the window aimed at me. :) Nothing wrong with a windowless case of course, or hiding it in a corner. All depends in what you perceive as value and what aesthetics mean to you. Everyone is different and that's a good thing.

I'll wait for acx style coolers on the ti version. I've owned blower coolers for almost a decade and I'm done with them.

While that GALAX cooler is pretty slick, and kinda OG lookin' I'm definitely not going to buy it because of that !$%!@# clown. Deal. Breaker.

I'm also not super crazy about the angles on the Founder's Edition, but I do like that backplate.

In the end, I'm not the type to build in a case with windows and lights, so I don't really care what the thing looks like as long as it performs as advertised.

I had a case window when I was 16
This is my first case with a large window on it, I do have a HAF-932 with a small window but that case sits next to a speaker and you can't see anything, and there is nothing to really look at.
All my other cases in the past didn't have windows.

What's with the hate for case windows? Some people like showing off their hardware. Others don't give a damn. Luckily for us, there are products that cater to both crowds, and no need for one to bash the other. Yeesh.

I'd want a backplate simply for the ease of wiping down the card from dust every now and then and not getting the microfiber stuck all over the solder pins.

What can I say, I like keeping my things clean :)

In any event, I'm waiting for the non reference designs, no way I'm owning anything with a blower

What's with the hate for case windows? Some people like showing off their hardware. Others don't give a damn. Luckily for us, there are products that cater to both crowds, and no need for one to bash the other. Yeesh.

MY WAY THE WHOLE WAY. You darn soft treehhugers with you "respect all" and your "acceptence". Get shaved and get a job... :D

Windowless case, on the floor under my desk, parts only seen when I open the case when I clean them. I don't care if it looks like a $10 crack whore if it performs well. When she gives me a great BJ I just close my eyes.

I don't care what it looks like either. I care about performance, noise, and value.

It's fine if you do care. Diff'rent strokes.

The box art just plain out is boring as hell... Component box art used to be cool. Like the Apollo Bloody Monster geforce4... I guess when they know it will sell out in a brown paper bag they don't need to put a lot into the box art. lol.

The box art just plain out is boring as hell... Component box art used to be cool. Like the Apollo Bloody Monster geforce4... I guess when they know it will sell out in a brown paper bag they don't need to put a lot into the box art. lol.
9600xt.jpg

Man. I must have been out of the loop for a while. I actually had to google "Galax" because I thought it was a typo.

Galax is the new name for the older Galaxy (USA) and KFA2 (European) brands. Apparently they changed their name in 2014.

What does the backplate do? Does that aid cooling a bit?
Backplates do help disperse some of the heat coming off the back of the card. However, one of their primary purposes is to provide strength to prevent warping of the PCB due to weight, heat, etc.

I spy the place for a second 8 pins power connecter on that board...
Yeah but based on the fact that it is a different orientation, that is not designed so that they could have two connectors, but rather so that it could either be at the top or back.

I wonder how much better the Founder cooler performs over this.

NONE. The founders ed is NOT a higher performing SKU, just rather THE REFERENCE sku, which has the exact same specs as everything else .. (I mean it is reference.. right) It has the ref cooler, the ref PCB, the ref clockspeeds, etc. 3rd party stuff will only ever be better in terms of clockspeed, power delivery, cooling (depending on if you WANT a blower or not), etc.

Is it just me, or is the founder's edition just the reference cooler of yesteryear with some angles? And the new (crappy looking) non-founder's edition cooler just a cheap (looking and quality) cooler?

And they have the f-ing gall to call the founder's edition "premium components" like they are doing us a favor for charging an extra $100 when that was included for free last year and the year before...

Wait, wait. I get it. Nvidia wants to stick it really deep up our butts now.

Ha! I'm definitely going to be looking closely at what AMD trots out next.

Last edited:
That non-ref design is atrocious looking. I mean seriously ugly. Galaxy, get your act together. You know better :p

Back