What a difference 10 years makes!! (pics)

jmroberts70

2[H]4U
Well I finally went ahead and replaced my old IBM Thinkpad with a new laptop -that is actually portable. It all truthfulness, I only use that old Thinkpad for typing in the middle of the night in my bedroom. I still haven't found a single laptop that compares to the feel of the Thinkpad -especially the old ones!

>>>I think there is just about 10 years between these two lappys.<<<

Well I think I moved up in size a little! Got thinner but a LOT wider! Funny thing is that the bood times are just about the same...Mind you, that's running Win98 on the old rig. If I put Windows for Workgroups back on this old lady, she'd boot faster than just about anything in town!

laptop01.jpg

laptop02.jpg

laptop03.jpg

LOL, I also have a prehistoric Thinkpad. A 760ED, as a matter of fact. Still works like a champ and I laugh everytime I put it next to my current X40.

still have:
760cd
760ed
760xd W/mpeg

the 760 is my pride and joy of my old lappys
its got the 160mhz proc
160mb of ram
12gb HD
24x IBM cd-rom drive
external docking station(the massive one)
has a PCI tv tunner
and a ati fire gl Quad vga card
it has 4 17" crts hooked up
running win 3.11 for workgroups and OS/2

tiebird321 said:
still have:
760cd
760ed
760xd W/mpeg

the 760 is my pride and joy of my old lappys
its got the 160mhz proc
160mb of ram
12gb HD
24x IBM cd-rom drive
external docking station(the massive one)
has a PCI tv tunner
and a ati fire gl Quad vga card
it has 4 17" crts hooked up
running win 3.11 for workgroups and OS/2

HA HA!! I have a couple of those old MASSIVE docking stations in the garage. You have a waaaaay better Thinkpad than I do. Maybe I'll "upgrade" one of these days to something with over 500MB of hard drive space!

Besides the size and weight diffrence, and mostly the diffrent levels of technology used inside each one due to advancements, whats equaly interesting is that you probably paid only half or less for that HP 7000 series than what you paid for that IBM Thinkpad 10 years ago.
Got to love innovation....and all the geeky smart people that make it possible. ;)

Heh, kinda looks like my setup as well. I purchased an IBM 701c a few years ago on eBay for about $150, and have used it the past few years by my side in the dorm room next to my main pc, I would just leave it on for weeks and have it run AIM and mIRC. Wouldn't ever crash, would just get a little slow after being on for a few weeks, so I would restart aim and all would be well.

This summer, I finally got a new laptop (one that has a battery that works and I can do real work on), in the form of this new Acer 2010. Putting them next to eachother is a pretty funny sight. I'll have to take a picture.

Specs?

IBM 701c
75 mhz 486
16 mb ram
4 gb hdd (upgraded by the original owner)
640*480

Acer Aspire AS2012WLM
CPU: Intel Pentium M 1.5GHz
Display: 15.4" WXGA (1280 x 800)
Memory: 512MB DDR333 SDRAM (256MB x 2)
Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon 9700, 64MB DDR
HD: 60GB
Optical Drive: DVD+/-RW
Communication: 56K Modem, 10/100 LAN, 802.11b/g WLAN
Ports: 3x USB2.0, 1x IEEE1394, VGA, Parallel, Audio Ports, FIR, S-video TV out, 4-in-1 card reader
Average Battery Life: 5 hours
Dimensions: 14.2" x 10.7" x 1.3"
Weight: 6.6 lbs

Back