What 600 series CPU to get???

DBZ33

Gawd
I just got rid of my 4400+ X2 system and I am going back to Intel. I purchased a ASUS P5WD2 Premium motherboard, I needed to get rid of my Crucial Ballistix 2gig PC4000 DDR1 kit for the Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400 DDR2 2Gig kit. I now need to get a 600 series CPU. I was thinking of getting the P4 630 and overclocking it to 4Ghz or higher. A lot of people have had good luck with that chip. Do you think I have a better chance of getting a higher overclock with the P4 670?
I also have a water cooling kit, so the temps should be ok. What do you think will give me the higher overclock. I know overclocking is mostly luck, but what should I do? Thanks for the help. Also thank god I am back to the Intel (Stable) side. :D

The sweet spot right now to me is the 660. It costs 400 bucks, and because you have the Asus P5WD2, you can use the lock free feature. This means that you can run the processor at a lower multiplier (14x), and then jack up the FSB. You can't use the lock free feature with any speed grades below 660.

So, get the 660, and use the lock free feature and jack up the FSB. With that nice DDR2 memory, you should get some awesome memory scores.

If you have good water cooling, you could squeeze up to 4.5ghz from the chip, or even more. At those speeds, your rig should equal an FX at around 3ghz in terms of gaming performance; with much better multitasking and multimedia performance.

Thanks for the reply. If I could get the 670 at the price of the 660 would you still by the 630 save the money and overclock or get the 670? I am just wondering if people are haveing good luck with the 670 as they are with the 630 cpu's? Thanks again.

The 670 would give you the biggest overclock. WIth good watercooling, you could probably hit 5ghz. But, the price doesn't justify the purchase in my opinion.

Stick with the 660. Remember, with an Asus P5WD2, you could use the lock free feature and this would enable you to do much more efficient overclocking.

You can't do that with the 630 chip however, so stick with the 660 is my advice.

Back