• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

What 2x100 watt amp?

Joined
Mar 6, 2003
Messages
737
I want to use these bookshelf speakers:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B1000...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260320187&sr=1-33

But I don't have a receiver or amp. I don't need a receiver, so I figured I'll just buy a better amp. But which amp? A lot of the amps are very low power...

What I am trying to do is beat the Creative Labs Gigaworks T40. I don't think they are worth that much for such tiny speakers.

What I don't get is why you can get a cheap 2x 100 watt receiver like:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-STR-DH10...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1260320802&sr=1-2

But no 2x 100 watt amp?
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Don't look at wattage, it's basically irrelevant for computer speakers, and amps are very often vastly overrated.

For these low-end speakers and for your apparent budget I would just go with a two channel receiver. Economies of scale make the prices possible; few people use dedicated power amps anymore for home audio, and those that do aren't in this low cost market. At this price point I think you'll get more for your money if you buy a receiver, even if you don't use any of its functionality.

However, with only ~$200, and if you're looking for computer speakers, I'd just get some integrated units. The AudioEngine A2 is supposed to be excellent, as are the Swans M200 MKII at around this price.
 
Doubling amplifier watts will only get you 3 dB louder. I wouldn't put too much stock in claims of 100 watts in cheaper equipment anyways. It's all marketing fluff...usually 100 watts is attained at 1 channel @10% THD.

Maybe you can find an older integrated amp or receiver on craigslist? There are real gems out there at throwaway prices for good brands like Sansui and Marantz.
 
its rated power is based on the following:
100W x 2 (8 ohms, 40 Hz - 20kHz, THD 0.09%)

that isn't approaching "1 channel @ 10% THD" (only Logitech is terrible enough to pull that consistently), this Sony will probably give you 50-60W/ch fairly consistently, which is still FAR more than enough power than you'll ever need (you'll seriously probably never need more than 10W/ch)

as far as "why can't I buy an amp I don't need a receiver an amp is simpler it should work this way because thats how I think about it", it doesn't work that way, because that isn't what mass market consumers want, so it isn't what mass market manufactuers build (and thus drive the price down on), basically accept that as reality

I'd probably either look for used equipment, if budget is a huge concern, or just get that Sony, either will work out for driving those speakers to more than loud enough levels
 
More or less, if you want a dedicated amp other than a small one like a T-amp, you tend to have to get a professional or audiophile type amp. In both cases, you have to drop a reasonable amount of money. Now you get good amps when you do that, they tend to be powerful, quiet, use good components, and so on. However it is pretty much that, or receivers. There are very few low end just amplifiers.

Also I agree with keenan that at a $200 total pricepoint, I'd look at PC speakers (or active monitors). I think you'll get better value for your money over all. Don't get me wrong, I like and own separate speakers and amps and such, but I think you need to spend more before that is a good use of your money. At a low price, I think an integrated solution like PC speakers or active monitors is the way to go.
 
I have THIS AMP. Very well built audiophile level sounding amp (small foot-print as well) Will easily drive those speakers with clean power. You'll need a preamp though.

I would seriously consider better speakers though. I bought a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 7B speakers off craigslist for $50 and they totally rock with that little amp I linked to. ;)
 
Back
Top