What >256Gb SATAIII SSD's work on a 2011 17"?

Ronco

[H]ard|Gawd
Question as title. I'm looking for something ideally >400Gb but I see conflicting info in terms of what I can use.

I'm curious, which have you read to not work and why don't they work?

Because it's cheaper and you get more space, for relatively similar performance.

We're talking 100 bucks versus 400-600 depending on what exactly you get, for half the space. Not every file one your hard drive (music for example) needs to be access blazing fast. Have you done any research on how they work or have had any experience with them?

Because it's cheaper and you get more space, for relatively similar performance.

We're talking 100 bucks versus 400-600 depending on what exactly you get, for half the space. Not every file one your hard drive (music for example) needs to be access blazing fast. Have you done any research on how they work or have had any experience with them?

It's cheaper for a reason. The performance is basically a fast 7200rpm drive. I wouldn't bother using one.

It's cheaper for a reason. The performance is basically a fast 7200rpm drive. I wouldn't bother using one.

Not according to several benchmark sources, and my personal experience. Sounds like you want an SSD and I'm not trying to convince you this is better, I'm just trying to help save you some money if possible.

Not according to several benchmark sources, and my personal experience. Sounds like you want an SSD and I'm not trying to convince you this is better, I'm just trying to help save you some money if possible.

If we're talking about the Momentus XT, I'd say that's extreme wishful thinking.

Apparently problems with the M4 for one?

I just read that today too. I'd say stick with Intel or the Crucial C300.
Another thing that apparently makes a big difference is downgrading to EFI 1.6.
When I get an ssd I'm probably going to have to do that. It reduces sata to 1.5gb/s but fixes the freezing in osx.
I've also read that Apple added support for third party ssds in Lion and that using the right file in SL will allow support for third party ssds and also enable trim.
I'm still researching so hopefully someone will come along with some better info.

Re: the hybrid. If the OP is considering a 400gb+ ssd then I don't think a cheap hybrid will suffice :)

I think the OWC drives are among the best on the market but also among the most expensive. Synchronous, good controllers, good percentage of space allocated for over-provisioning.
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_Extreme_Pro_6G/

I suppose if there could be any kind of Mac compatibility guarantee OWC would be it. I'll do more research on that. Cost is not a huge issue - although it's certainly a significant bump over others I've seen. Still, I'd rather have working drive and pay a few hundred more.

I think I'll give the OWC's a try for now. Thanks all.

Let us know how unreliable they are ;)

They may work fine with MAC (so does my Intel 510 fwiw) but if the drive itself sucks what's the point :D

Anyone know of a European reseller that's actually well known? I've got one hit and I've never heard of them before.

I got a C300 setup in my 2009 mbp, working like a charm.

Yes I think we all know SATAIII SSD's will basically work on a SATAII machine. (although I'd be interested to know if there would be any issues in swapping that SSD unaltered over to a SATAIII machine after a few years of working in the old machine)

I just put a 500GB Momentus XT in a clients MacBook Pro and have a 128GB Vertex II in my MacBook Pro and the two don't even compare. The XT was faster than what was originally in the laptop but in no way, shape or form does the XT come close to the performance of the Vertex II.

I just put a 500GB Momentus XT in a clients MacBook Pro and have a 128GB Vertex II in my MacBook Pro and the two don't even compare. The XT was faster than what was originally in the laptop but in no way, shape or form does the XT come close to the performance of the Vertex II.

Yes, I think we've already established Morazl doesn't have relevant experience in this regard.

Back