What 2016 phones are you looking forward too ?

Well the prospects of the LG G5 got a bit better.. Looks like the unrootableness (yeah probably not really a word, but it sounds cool) was over estimated. Looks like root has been achieved. Just not easily done yet.

Heh... hopefully the prospects for the G5 are better than the Google Pixel C, which still doesn't have a reliable root or TBH any development for it.

Heh... hopefully the prospects for the G5 are better than the Google Pixel C, which still doesn't have a reliable root or TBH any development for it.

Given that I had to google "google pixel c" to see what it is I am not surprised that there isnt any development for it.

W2016 is about 3-4k USD in China right now. So flagging that and getting a roughly spec superior Gionee W909, until W2016 prices drop or it's released elsewhere, as I want to compare the quality, UI and form factor. Need a backup phone anyway so it makes sense. Excited to have a clamshell again, V3i was my favourite phone of all, using them since the early bricks of the 00s with the tuna can nicads.

Seems very few western places have info on it.

– 4.2-inches HD display
– 64-bit MediaTek Helio P10 octa-core processor
– 4GB RAM
– 64GB of internal storage
– microSD slot
– 16MP rear-facing camera
– 5MP front-facing camera
– Dual-SIM
– 4G LTE
– USB OTG
– 2,530mAh removable battery
– Fingerprint sensor

Will do a review when I have it. Comes with 2x batteries, screen protector, charger. About 4k RMB/620USD. My source is going to QC it for me personally so it should be a good one.
I think rose gold sold out, which is unfortunate but they're trying to find one.

天鉴W909

gionee_w909_front_back_open.jpg

Oh god why... That abomination is fucking hideous.
Lets take a flip phone, remove literally every reason to buy a flip phone over a typical smartphone (size, battery life etc.) then sell it for 3x what any sane person would spend on chinese phone let alone a chinese flip phone.

2500mah battery powering dual 4.3" screens? 2 batteries isnt enough for a day of moderate usage. 720p screen, yuck.

Only one of those screens usually goes depending on how the phone is operated. Both turn off during calls etc.

I know it's taking a chance but I'm not getting another pure smartphone. Touch screens drive me nuts, sometimes I have to call people in a hurry, input lag, improper selection etc wastes my time. As a business owner I spend more time dialing numbers than bookfacing or other uses, which would be an advantage with 1080p or higher and 5" style smartphone.

So for me, it makes perfect sense, can do smartphone stuff if I need it but overall it's an actual proper phone, with buttons and removable battery for business. If the W2016 gets cheaper, I presume it'd have better battery life with amoled, so this will be the backup phone.

Input lag? OMG... Get an iPhone or that new HTC 10. Don't blame input lag on all smartphones. Not all touch panels and software are created equal.

Only one of those screens usually goes depending on how the phone is operated. Both turn off during calls etc.

I know it's taking a chance but I'm not getting another pure smartphone. Touch screens drive me nuts, sometimes I have to call people in a hurry, input lag, improper selection etc wastes my time. As a business owner I spend more time dialing numbers than bookfacing or other uses, which would be an advantage with 1080p or higher and 5" style smartphone.

So for me, it makes perfect sense, can do smartphone stuff if I need it but overall it's an actual proper phone, with buttons and removable battery for business. If the W2016 gets cheaper, I presume it'd have better battery life with amoled, so this will be the backup phone.

You cant be serious... I have seen no noticeable input lag in at least 4 generations of smartphones. Second that dialer is just going to be an HID device sending its input to the phones OS If anything will have input lag THAT WILL... On top of that the time it takes to flip this phone open to start dialing is going to be longer than all your so called input lag... You are not going to be any faster with that than you would using any normal smartphone.

If a 5" screen with higher resolution is not useful to you why on earth would you buy a dual screen phone?!?!

It makes no sense for anyone but you have yourself convinced that it does.

You cant be serious... I have seen no noticeable input lag in at least 4 generations of smartphones. Second that dialer is just going to be an HID device sending its input to the phones OS If anything will have input lag THAT WILL... On top of that the time it takes to flip this phone open to start dialing is going to be longer than all your so called input lag... You are not going to be any faster with that than you would using any normal smartphone.

If a 5" screen with higher resolution is not useful to you why on earth would you buy a dual screen phone?!?!

It makes no sense for anyone but you have yourself convinced that it does.

Dual screen phone makes sense again from business POV. It can show notifications and act as a smartphone with the top screen. If opened I have full buttons to quickly dial without stress and hassle. Even if there is lag from HID, it's better than lag from touch buttons which causes an incorrect input usually. Saying phones are lag free is great until they're a year or two old and bogged down with shit, which happens to every phone I've ever seen.

I have seen phones from last generation all lagging at times, especially when swapping from e.g. phone locked on lockscreen with camera mode, then going back to message mode/etc. Sure they don't do it out of the box, but facefuck and other apps are not out of box and seem to kill phones very quickly. They don't always do it either, it's not consistent.

Seen it on anything android 5 and down.

I can flip open a phone in >0.3 of a sec. Or with smartphone, it takes me a second to unlock, wait for the phone to load the OS properly and then start typing. I have to look at the screen and hope my big thumb/finger hasn't hit x instead of s.

With this flip phone I can flip it open, hit phone button, dial number without any inaccuracy.
Plus it's different in a world where business guys can either have a phone or a watch or both, it's something different and a conversation piece (hence the w2016 in future).

I know it sounds all very strange and funny but for me specifically, I need to dial numbers primarily and call. Everything else is secondary, so buttons win the day, even next to the best, fanciest smartphone. Not to mention an 8"+ slim phone when folded out, is far better for longer calls without a headset, than holding a big chocolate bar.

You may end up being totally right and I waste my time and money. But basically I still prefer the use and functionality for calling of my v3i rolla over any modern smartphone incl S7. Hence giving this a try. If I don't like it, I'll just sell it.

Last edited:
Dual screen phone makes sense again from business POV. It can show notifications and act as a smartphone with the top screen. If opened I have full buttons to quickly dial without stress and hassle. Even if there is lag from HID, it's better than lag from touch buttons which causes an incorrect input usually. Saying phones are lag free is great until they're a year or two old and bogged down with shit, which happens to every phone I've ever seen.

I have seen phones from last generation all lagging at times, especially when swapping from e.g. phone locked on lockscreen with camera mode, then going back to message mode/etc. Sure they don't do it out of the box, but facefuck and other apps are not out of box and seem to kill phones very quickly. They don't always do it either, it's not consistent.

Seen it on anything android 5 and down.

I can flip open a phone in >0.3 of a sec. Or with smartphone, it takes me a second to unlock, wait for the phone to load the OS properly and then start typing. I have to look at the screen and hope my big thumb/finger hasn't hit x instead of s.

With this flip phone I can flip it open, hit phone button, dial number without any inaccuracy.
Plus it's different in a world where business guys can either have a phone or a watch or both, it's something different and a conversation piece (hence the w2016 in future).

I know it sounds all very strange and funny but for me specifically, I need to dial numbers primarily and call. Everything else is secondary, so buttons win the day, even next to the best, fanciest smartphone. Not to mention an 8"+ slim phone when folded out, is far better for longer calls without a headset, than holding a big chocolate bar.

You may end up being totally right and I waste my time and money. But basically I still prefer the use and functionality for calling of my v3i rolla over any modern smartphone incl S7. Hence giving this a try. If I don't like it, I'll just sell it.

You seem to think that your going to get the advantages of both. But your wrong, your going to get the disadvantages of both. Your still going to get the lag after a year. It is not the input device lagging, it's the OS and your still going to have a smartphone os that's going to eventually get bogged down.

Yes so if I can have buttons to avoid the fuckup of lag screwing with input selection, then this is still an improvement. Plus no matter what a smartphone will never have a tactile switch. That advantage alone is worth it for me when dialing.

Japan is using lots of flip phones. (Some due to this Japanese pride thing and only buying Japanese.) But those phones are mostly not using Android. So they'll be much faster mostly due to the reduced functionalities.

Now you want to use an android flip phone, made by a cheap Chinese company. Most likely it'll have a crappy screen, bad touch panel, bad bogged down non-stock OS, but dedicated phone buttons. I wouldn't get your hopes up on this one. In fact, it'll make no sense really with your complaints.

Like I said before iPhone have a good fast response touch panel, and iOS much more optimized. The new HTC 10 has an even faster touch response than the iPhone 6s/6s plus per benchmark, and HTC Sense is as close to stock and also better optimized than most other android OEM skins.

If you have problems with any android phones lagging with touch latency and OS being choppy, try the HTC 10 if you want to stick with Android or go to the iPhone.

Yes so if I can have buttons to avoid the fuckup of lag screwing with input selection, then this is still an improvement. Plus no matter what a smartphone will never have a tactile switch. That advantage alone is worth it for me when dialing.

I still dont understand the claim that lag is making you fuck up when dialing. If it where the days of 500mhz phones with 512mb of ram i would totally get it but not these days, it dont add up. Sounds to me like you are fat fingering the dialer and blaming the phone for your fuck ups. Theres no way you are out there dialing so fast that modern touch screens just cant handle your blazing speed thats a crock of shit.

Its obviously not about being cheap and not wanting to pay for the latest and greatest considering you are spending over $600 on a chinese turdphone.

Your argument that dual screen makes sense from a business point of view is also pure horseshit you are trying to convince yourself. Its an unsecure chinese phone running custom chinese software so no legal access to the play store, is in a form factor that you cant really buy cases or protection for, when its open its insanely vulnerable to damage from even a minor drop especially since it has no gorilla glass, ridiculously tiny battery, 207 grams so its heavier than 5.5 inch aluminum phones like the g5, pitifully slow hardware about half as fast as the current SD820 flagships (my s7e gets 2k SC, 5k MC), all that for the low low price of $620! Yeah i can totally see business deploying these, they make so much sense. Plus there is the added convenience of all your personal info being uploaded to their "cloud" in the background /s.

Bottom line if you need a tactile button to dial a phone number the problem is you, not the hardware. Buying a really shitty low spec smartphone with a dialer wont change your issues. There is a reason the industry completely phased out flip phones and its not because business where clamoring to get them. Theres also a reason phones like this one and the samsung one you really want are marketed towards the elderly and the handicapped...

I don't really have the S7 and HTC 10 around for comparison but if you can get the G5 close to the Moto X Pure or 6P normal price it does seem like a nice deal. I kind of like 5.3" and the scanner. I just put on Nova Launcher.

Actually the Moto X Pure Edition designed by Jonathan Adler is $299 right now directly from them.

You guys saying there is no more input lag are unfortunately wrong. My last 3 phones have all had this issue. I currently have a Motorola Turbo (the first one) and before that I had a Samsung G4 and before that I think another Samsung, maybe G2? In any case, with all 3 of these phones, the first 6 months or so were great, after that I started noticing more and more lag when I am texting, trying to unlock the phone, dialing, etc. I went through factory resets and the whole 9 yards, no one could figure out the issue but I found tons of other people having similar problems.

Essentially in my experience, most modern smartphones slowly turn into a POS around the 1-2year mark - awfully convenient.

And I just have to say this, regarding iphone "quality" - I have seen more iphones with broken / cracked screens than all other devices combined. Additionally, I can't count the number of people that have told me horror stories about their iphone storing text messages they thought they had deleted, uploading stuff to icloud without them realizing it was happening, or intending for it to happen (let's not forget the fappening folks) - and now that Steve Jobs is gone, you can kiss your apple innovation goodbye. I predict the iphone 8 or 9 will be the last one so get ready to come back to Android sooner or later... there's a reason why they just broke their profit streak. You can only re-release the same phone with minimal upgrades for so many years, at a premium price, before people start to jump ship.

As for a 2016 phone - I am currently considering the BlackBerry Priv, or possibly the Samsung S7 (non-edge version, hate that stupid glass edge design.) I was considering a Windows Phone, but I am worried about the possibility of them just ceasing to exist and/or not being able to get apps I need on it due to low market share.

You guys saying there is no more input lag are unfortunately wrong. My last 3 phones have all had this issue. I currently have a Motorola Turbo (the first one) and before that I had a Samsung G4 and before that I think another Samsung, maybe G2? In any case, with all 3 of these phones, the first 6 months or so were great, after that I started noticing more and more lag when I am texting, trying to unlock the phone, dialing, etc. I went through factory resets and the whole 9 yards, no one could figure out the issue but I found tons of other people having similar problems.

Thats just plain lag not input lag. Also most of that slow down comes from what you install on it. You take a base install of android and install no apps and it will run the same years from now. If its not running like normal after a restore its a user app you are installing. Probably some stupid ass ram cleaner since people love that garbage.

Essentially in my experience, most modern smartphones slowly turn into a POS around the 1-2year mark - awfully convenient.

Not really even remotely true. I have several phones that are 2+ years old and all run fine (except the droid x2 i gave the kid that fucker is SLOOOOOOOOW).

And I just have to say this, regarding iphone "quality" - I have seen more iphones with broken / cracked screens than all other devices combined. Additionally, I can't count the number of people that have told me horror stories about their iphone storing text messages they thought they had deleted, uploading stuff to icloud without them realizing it was happening, or intending for it to happen (let's not forget the fappening folks) - and now that Steve Jobs is gone, you can kiss your apple innovation goodbye. I predict the iphone 8 or 9 will be the last one so get ready to come back to Android sooner or later... there's a reason why they just broke their profit streak. You can only re-release the same phone with minimal upgrades for so many years, at a premium price, before people start to jump ship.

Based on what? Unless you replace screens for a living your anecdotal evidence is worthless. I have a friend that ran a kiosk in the mall changing screens (you wouldn't believe how much money there is in this shit...) and he says its about the same between samsung and iphones, He says the samsungs are getting worse while the iphones have gotten much better since the 6. But again anecdotal evidence so massive grain of salt.

As for a 2016 phone - I am currently considering the BlackBerry Priv, or possibly the Samsung S7 (non-edge version, hate that stupid glass edge design.) I was considering a Windows Phone, but I am worried about the possibility of them just ceasing to exist and/or not being able to get apps I need on it due to low market share.

Windows phone has been dead since launch. It lacks most of the basic apps most use. The blackberry priv is a joke with a barely usable keyboard. The edge is iffy, it has some usability but adds some vulnerability but the edge has a bigger screen and MASSIVE battery. My wife ;oves her s7 and its built very very well.

Why no consideration for the HTC10? Thats looking like the king of this generation.

Are you saying a fresh Turbo is good? You could get a new, sealed Note 4 for 1440x2560 and save a lot of money. Or the Note 5, S6, etc.

Private seller with depreciation on a new item, like FS/FT but national. Maybe Swappa. Amazon doesn't seem as good.

Last edited:
Are you saying a fresh Turbo is good? You could get a new, sealed Note 4 for 1440x2560 and save a lot of money. Or the Note 5, S6, etc.

Private seller with depreciation on a new item, like FS/FT but national. Maybe Swappa. Amazon doesn't seem as good.

This reads like a chinese amazon product description. Makes no sense at all, wtf.

Looks like HTC is definitely making the new Nexus phones, code name S1 and M1. I'm assuming one of them will be called Nexus One (2016).

This reads like a chinese amazon product description. Makes no sense at all, wtf.

You've never bought a video card that someone used for less than two weeks (included receipt from Newegg or Amazon) and they knocked $70 off the price, with solid heatware, communication, etc.? It's nice. But these sellers would even be holding the phones, new in box. Otherwise they are more expensive directly from Amazon.

G5 is not as popular or the employee discounts are better so it is $414 on T-Mobile and $380 on Sprint. It's just a way not to use eBay (their own stated goal) and cut fees. They do link eBay feedback to the user if it exists.

And they want £449 in the UK and €569 in EU for the Huawei P9 32GB, which is nicer but not three times nicer.

I hope to god yes!! I will buy a 6P in a heart beat if it has a SD 820 :)

I wonder if this phone will be unveiled at Google I/O next month ? But this would be the first time ever a Nexus revamp like this has ever happened. Basically the same exact phone from last year, just with newer updated hardware. I don't think anyone has ever done this before ? Even Apple's S line is more than just a new processor and RAM upgrade, it has a bunch of other new stuff upgrades, and even the body itself on the iPhone 6S is ever bit slightly different then iPhone6 from the year before.

But to me, this makes perfect sense, if keeping costs down and making the phone a bit more affordable. Bring out the exact same phone, same exact screen, same exact speakers, most of the phone with exactly the same parts they have been producing for a year, just change out the processor and the RAM, and drop the prcie to like $399 or $449 for the 32GB.

I could see this happening.

But... what about all the rumors of a high end HTC Nexus phone coming this Fall ?

I wonder if this phone will be unveiled at Google I/O next month ? But this would be the first time ever a Nexus revamp like this has ever happened. Basically the same exact phone from last year, just with newer updated hardware. I don't think anyone has ever done this before ? Even Apple's S line is more than just a new processor and RAM upgrade, it has a bunch of other new stuff upgrades, and even the body itself on the iPhone 6S is ever bit slightly different then iPhone6 from the year before.

But to me, this makes perfect sense, if keeping costs down and making the phone a bit more affordable. Bring out the exact same phone, same exact screen, same exact speakers, most of the phone with exactly the same parts they have been producing for a year, just change out the processor and the RAM, and drop the prcie to like $399 or $449 for the 32GB.

I could see this happening.

But... what about all the rumors of a high end HTC Nexus phone coming this Fall ?
The 6P is perfect minus 3 things

-SD card which will not happen
-SD820 vs 810
-OIS on the otherwise excellent camera

Now that Intel killed Broxton and SoFIA, I guess that the Surface Phone x86 isn't happening anymore unless there's something Intel or AMD hasn't publicly announced. RIP Windows Mobile.

Now that Intel killed Broxton and SoFIA, I guess that the Surface Phone x86 isn't happening anymore unless there's something Intel or AMD hasn't publicly announced. RIP Windows Mobile.

It's like a not-so-friendly reminder why you don't want to base your success around someone else's products: it's not a question of if that company will screw you over, but when. Just ask BlackBerry how smart it was to build the PlayBook around Flash. There's a good reason why Apple, Huawei, LG and Samsung like to design their own mobile processors... they know they're in command of their own destinies. Continuum revolved around the assumption that there would always be x86 phone processors from here on out, which was pretty naive given Intel's tiny share of the mobile world.

Also have to admit that there's a certain amount of schadenfreude here for me: remember how certain people were convinced that x86-based Windows 10 phones would be divine perfection, and would lead to a 'glorious' Microsoft mobile revival that killed off Apple (which, let's be honest, was their only real wish)? So much for that idea. This is a textbook lesson in basing your fandom around what's actually happening, not what you'd like to see happen.

It's like a not-so-friendly reminder why you don't want to base your success around someone else's products: it's not a question of if that company will screw you over, but when. Just ask BlackBerry how smart it was to build the PlayBook around Flash. There's a good reason why Apple, Huawei, LG and Samsung like to design their own mobile processors... they know they're in command of their own destinies. Continuum revolved around the assumption that there would always be x86 phone processors from here on out, which was pretty naive given Intel's tiny share of the mobile world.

Also have to admit that there's a certain amount of schadenfreude here for me: remember how certain people were convinced that x86-based Windows 10 phones would be divine perfection, and would lead to a 'glorious' Microsoft mobile revival that killed off Apple (which, let's be honest, was their only real wish)? So much for that idea. This is a textbook lesson in basing your fandom around what's actually happening, not what you'd like to see happen.
Looking forward to your professionally written smirky commentary article on Engadget, bro! LOL! But, if you were talking about me, I was mention the "Wintel alliance" to bring back both Microsoft and Intel, as in Intel can't sell their mobile chip without Microsoft, and Microsoft can't sell phones without Intel. Now with Intel pulling out, it's completely over for Microsoft too.

Looking forward to your professionally written smirky commentary article, bro! LOL! But, if you were talking about me, I was mention the "Wintel alliance" to bring back both Microsoft and Intel, as in Intel can't sell their mobile chip without Microsoft, and Microsoft can't sell phones without Intel. Now with Intel pulling out, it's completely over for Microsoft too.

Nah, it wasn't you -- I think you know who I'm talking about. It's reasonable to say that x86-based Windows 10 phones would be promising as they'd fulfill the dreams of running familiar desktop apps from your phone, but this contingent (so to speak) was genuinely convinced that this was the pinnacle of phone technology, that everyone would flock to Windows devices and that it'd be the end for Cupertino. It was based almost entirely on wishful thinking rather than on-the-ground reality.

Intel has had some business with Android (mainly from ASUS), but yeah... any hope Microsoft had of really shaking things up with Continuum just went out the window. Unless there's a wholesale shift toward ARM in the Windows world, which is rather unlikely, it's not going to get the app support it needs for the phone-as-desktop feature to work. It's the Motorola Atrix all over again.

Would anyone actually edit video in iOS for their business?

Aren't people storing over 400 GB of stuff and there are data caps or slow speeds?

Writers are in such a bubble, not everyone has an iPhone 6 or 6S or fast Android 6.0.1 phone. Oh, he's from Norfolk County, MA median family income $108,943.

I wish T-Mo would stop dicking around and announce the HTC 10 so I can switch over to them. Got a free T-Mo Note5 for the wife to use through the Insights Program. S7E was my first choice, but I'm sure they go out first. Would have been nice to compare the 10 to the S7E directly for myself.

Aren't people storing over 400 GB of stuff and there are data caps or slow speeds?

Writers are in such a bubble, not everyone has an iPhone 6 or 6S or fast Android 6.0.1 phone. Oh, he's from Norfolk County, MA median family income $108,943.
what? Do you not know who Paul Thurrott is? He's like THE Windows Phone/Mobile evangelist.

Video editing on iOS? Yes, in limited circumstances. If you're recording an event or capturing data, editing on your phone or tablet is an option.

Writers are in a bit of a bubble, but I think it's also naive to think "don't worry, the PC market will always be safe!" Remember: BlackBerry, Microsoft, Nokia and Palm all thought their smartphone businesses were safe. What's rough and simple now can become the mainstream in a couple of years.

It's not safe but pulling the plug on it is a different level of dominance. ESPN can do worse than 2012 but stumble on. I don't buy DVDs but I guess they're available for people. Hardcover book sales continue, lessened.

I definitely agree prebuilt "office" PCs are gouging, like from Best Buy and "gaming" ones are even worse but buying an S7 or Nexus 6P is actually fast hardware and great for watching Netflix on the train or Instagram.

It's time for a prebuilt i3 with SSDs and no bloatware, notebook or small desktop and cheap gorgeous monitors. But they won't do that.

PCs aren't going anywhere. They will always have massive advantage in speed, storage space and obviously display size.

However if Google decides to make Android as free OS for PCs... Things would get interesting (assuming that they improve power user keyboard+mouse experience a lot).

PCs aren't going anywhere. They will always have massive advantage in speed, storage space and obviously display size.

However if Google decides to make Android as free OS for PCs... Things would get interesting (assuming that they improve power user keyboard+mouse experience a lot).

Dont really need to improve mouse and keyboard. Just market it towards the average consumer. Think about those all in one touchscreen computers. Something like that with a cheap i3, 8gb ram a big ol HDD with android could be really nice given the right price. You have a good bit more power than a tablet a ton more storage and all the apps you already paid for on your phone/tablet. Its a much better touchscreen experience than windows and dead simple for anyone to use.

For your typical kids/grandma/tech illiterate family member i would buy this over a PC in a heartbeat.

Back