What 120Hz to replace my U3011? Help needed.

Hey guys,

I've always regarded the community knowledge towards Displays here, as the best on the net, alongside top review sites, so I wanted to come and ask you all what 120Hz monitor you recommend me changing to.

I've heard that the S27A750 is a good option, but the 3D effect doesn't work well with Nvidia cards. I've also read up on the ASUS VG236H, and all reviews say that it's a great monitor in all regards, but I'm concerned about dropping 7" of screen real estate.

Is there anyone here that's done a similar move, and could tell me about your experiences?

Thanks for any help :)

Do you not like your u3011 for some reason? It seems like a top of the line monitor except for some ghosting to some people

I love my U3011, but I've got to cut back somewhere in my rig to make some cash as my financial situation is bad right now, and anything else I cut back on is detrimental to my gaming performance at 2560x1600. It's not something I want to part with, which is why I've come here to gain knowledge before I do so. Also, I've never noticed any ghosting gaming on it.

I just ordered the s27a750d myself, and it'll be here Tuesday. Of the few 120hz monitors on the market, i liked this one the best, but I'm running an amd card. If you want 120hz/3d, the new asus Vg278h is supposed to be pretty amazing from what I've read. It's $699 though, pretty pricey for a TN panel. I'm sure some people a lot more informed than me will chime in here too, I'm no expert on these, not by a long shot.

As for the size, I can't imagine going from a 30" to a 23-24". That would suck big time.

edit: you replied while I was posting. If you're looking to save money, that Asus obviously isn't the way to go.

If you actually wanted to save money, getting a 3D monitor doesn't make sense. They still cost around $600+.

also in the market for a great gaming monitor - so interested in hearing the outcome of this thread.
Side note, whats the difference between the VG236 H and HE?

I love my U3011, but I've got to cut back somewhere in my rig to make some cash as my financial situation is bad right now, and anything else I cut back on is detrimental to my gaming performance at 2560x1600. It's not something I want to part with, which is why I've come here to gain knowledge before I do so. Also, I've never noticed any ghosting gaming on it.

Is ghosting the same as motion blur? I see a lot of motion blur while gaming which is very frustrating considering how much I paid for the U3011

Is ghosting the same as motion blur? I see a lot of motion blur while gaming which is very frustrating considering how much I paid for the U3011

Depends on what you are playing. A lot of games have motion blur built in. Some have the option to adjust it, others don't. Check the specifics of the games you play.

As another person said, you won't be saving much money by going with either of the two monitors you mentioned.

Another thing, you say you can't part with gaming at 2560x1600 resolution, well, 120hz monitors are only available in 1920x1080. The actual physical size of the screen is no indication of what resolution you can go to.

There is no 120hz monitors that fill any of your requirements, screen size or value for money. If you really are in a bad situation and want to save money I suggest you buy the dell u2312hm. Yes you lose the 2560x1600 resolution, but, it's an IPS monitor with really amazing response times.

like others have stated alot of games have motion blur built into the game. try turning it off.

Also, if you want 3D and 120 Hz, you need serious hardware to run that optimally. There goes your savings. lol

I just ordered the s27a750d myself, and it'll be here Tuesday. Of the few 120hz monitors on the market, i liked this one the best, but I'm running an amd card. If you want 120hz/3d, the new asus Vg278h is supposed to be pretty amazing from what I've read. It's $699 though, pretty pricey for a TN panel. I'm sure some people a lot more informed than me will chime in here too, I'm no expert on these, not by a long shot.

As for the size, I can't imagine going from a 30" to a 23-24". That would suck big time.

edit: you replied while I was posting. If you're looking to save money, that Asus obviously isn't the way to go.

I'm looking to make back some money on the monitor, that is all. Going to the Asus nets me over $500 left after buying it, so I don't think that's a bad option at all.

If you actually wanted to save money, getting a 3D monitor doesn't make sense. They still cost around $600+.

See above.

I don't notice any on my U3011.
Depends on what you are playing. A lot of games have motion blur built in. Some have the option to adjust it, others don't. Check the specifics of the games you play.

As another person said, you won't be saving much money by going with either of the two monitors you mentioned.

Another thing, you say you can't part with gaming at 2560x1600 resolution, well, 120hz monitors are only available in 1920x1080. The actual physical size of the screen is no indication of what resolution you can go to.

There is no 120hz monitors that fill any of your requirements, screen size or value for money. If you really are in a bad situation and want to save money I suggest you buy the dell u2312hm. Yes you lose the 2560x1600 resolution, but, it's an IPS monitor with really amazing response times.

I never mentioned not being able to part with 2560x1600, infact, I'm somewhat inclined to part with it, I said I was concerned about losing some real estate, but never resolution. I have a good deal of knowledge about resolutions, and the fact that 3D monitors cap at 1920x1080 at the moment, I want 120Hz for smooth picture, 3D as a side factor of getting a 120Hz.

like others have stated alot of games have motion blur built into the game. try turning it off.

Also, if you want 3D and 120 Hz, you need serious hardware to run that optimally. There goes your savings. lol

I have 2x GTX580 Lightnings running @ 993Mhz each, so I don't think I'll be underpowering my 3D solution.

I'm not looking to cut down entirely, I'm looking to make some money back with the monitor, and I KNOW I can do that, which is why I never mentioned it in my OP. I only made the thread requesting advice and opinions on 3D displays, not on how I'm going to save money, so lets please keep it on that. :)

Well if that's the case, take a look at that asus I mentioned. The guys over at XS were raving about it. It's OOS at the egg right now, but you might be able to find it elsewhere.

Edit: well damn, there's a thread on this very forum about a backlight defect on those asus monitors. Think I'd wait til that gets straightened out first.

Last edited:
Back