• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

WHAM - video suddenly gone

Darknyt

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 10, 2004
Messages
400
Was skimming an MKV briefly (20 secs or so) and the screen goes completely blank. PC still powered on but nothing on the screen.

Reboot.

No beeps, not posting. Everything powers on as I would expect, PSU fan, CPU fan, gfx fan, etc. Just nothing on the monitor even though it's clearly on.

So I have done the following:
1. cleaned it and made sure everything was seated, no obvious blown capacitors
2. starting pulling parts to eliminate issues, not posting (including going down to only 1 mem stick)
3. gave up and pulled everything out except CPU and MOBO (pulled memory, gfx, all drives, sound card etc)
4. Still no post (everything still powers up)

Any body else have ideas? I would think at this point it's not the video card, and I would assume I can expect that even with just the CPU/MOBO it would still give me some beeps and then show me an error screen of some kind, right?

Perhaps it's the PSU? It's only a 550 watt and it's going on 4 years old. I would have to go buy another to test my theory or get a multimeter to test. Also could obv be motherboard, but that's hard (to me) to isolate, more everything else around it is ok. Specs are in sig but briefly, I have a Phenom 940 BE/GTX 260/6gb ramm/ 4 HD's in the system (a fifth drive on it's own power, eSATA) all being driven by an Antec NEOHE 550w.

Thoughts are appreciated.
 
Last edited:
its possible the psu finally kicked the bucket.. but only way to test if its really the card is by throwing it in a different system.. do you hear the hard drives click when the system turns on? if you have a hard drive light is it flashing at all like its still booting into windows? if none of those are happening then it would be a good sign that the board died. even if it died the fans could still turn on since they are getting power from the psu..
 
Hard drive light comes on as I push the button but it's not flickering or solid indicating it's trying to access the drive.

But then again, would the drive even come into play until AFTER it posts?
 
Back
Top