WGU opinions?

jrel209

Weaksauce
Hey guys, I know a lot of people on here are networking professionals. So thought i'd get a temperature reading on what many of you think of WGU (Western Governors University).

I really want to get a B.A. in Information Technology, but I'm already 28, and I don't know if I could finish a brick/mortar school. Mostly due to the fact that I work full time! And no job that I can find that can support me and give me the time needed to complete a traditional 2-4yr degree at say (Chico, Sacramento State, or CSU Monterey Bay).

I mean, I know a few people look at online schools as a step-down, but this is regionally accredited by the Northwestern Commission. So how does it truly compare?

Does anyone here have exp with this school, or is apart of a HR hiring dept that can provide any feedback on the actual outlook of this school?

Thanks, I'll def check that site out too.

Anyone other opinions? I've been following [HF] for a long time now, so definitely would love to hear from more current networking professionals.

Some classes are extremely easy, others are a real challenge. But, you are tested on what you know.

But, if your courses take you through the Project+, get lots of caffeine. I hated that one. The mentors are really good, require constant contact (weekly calls). Lots of resources online and chats and the course mentors are very willing to give you feedback and answer questions. So, it's not all you against the work. You have a lot of support.

As for the value of the degree? I'm not sure. I'm 3/4 of the way through the BS: IT Security. For me, I have a job and a career. I have lots of certs. I have experience. This is more of a personal goal than anything. I went to college before, but never earned a degree. It was one of my goals that I didn't finish. Now, I am. It's not all computers and networking, either. You get a well rounded education. I would definitely put WGU above any for-profit school (Heald, for sure, but DeVry, Charter, etc.).

Costs are very affordable, and you can finish as quick as you can (some guy in Techexams did it in one year for a BS). Each term is 6 months. Certifications are paid for as part of your tuition, as are a lot of the practice exams that would normally cost you a couple hundred bucks.

Through that website, people mentioned Brandman University as well. It's regionally accredited, but the focus is more on the Business Management side of Information System Management. Any other thoughts on that?

Some classes are extremely easy, others are a real challenge. But, you are tested on what you know.

But, if your courses take you through the Project+, get lots of caffeine. I hated that one. The mentors are really good, require constant contact (weekly calls). Lots of resources online and chats and the course mentors are very willing to give you feedback and answer questions. So, it's not all you against the work. You have a lot of support.

As for the value of the degree? I'm not sure. I'm 3/4 of the way through the BS: IT Security. For me, I have a job and a career. I have lots of certs. I have experience. This is more of a personal goal than anything. I went to college before, but never earned a degree. It was one of my goals that I didn't finish. Now, I am. It's not all computers and networking, either. You get a well rounded education. I would definitely put WGU above any for-profit school (Heald, for sure, but DeVry, Charter, etc.).

Costs are very affordable, and you can finish as quick as you can (some guy in Techexams did it in one year for a BS). Each term is 6 months. Certifications are paid for as part of your tuition, as are a lot of the practice exams that would normally cost you a couple hundred bucks.

I definitely put WGU over those types of schools already. I'm just worried about the negative stigma of an 'online degree'. Although, WGU and Brandman are regionally accredited which is good.

Any other thoughts? Or resources I can find with legitimate reviews?

Actually decided to try Dakota State University. It's a B&M school with a full online degree program. Going to apply for the B.S. Network and Administrator program!! I was debating on Information Systems, but I want to have eventually have a M.S. in Network and Administration from RIT and pair it up with a CCIE!

My overall career goal is to design and build networks whether its for a firm or through contractor work!

Anyone have any info or advice! I'm really excited, hopefully I get admitted!

Got my BS at WGU and will be doing my masters there soon. WGU can't be beat on price and the pace at which you can get it done. It's more accredited than any other school you will go to most likely since it is accredited in 3? regions and nationally. Also most large companies already have tuition agreements with WGU.

Do they have any type of career services? That's one thing that I couldn't find any solid info on. When I spoke to the recruiter he just said now, but the recruiter I spoke too also sounded bored and irritated - maybe a bad day.

Back