Westy 37" W3 Coaxial cable?

nope no coaxial input, tons of other inputs,

Watcha trying to do with it?

Aldur said:
nope no coaxial input, tons of other inputs,

Watcha trying to do with it?
Basically, I plan on hooking up an Xbox 360, my PC, and Dish Network to it (the coaxial part). Do you think a coaxial to composite converter is available? Then, there is the problem of audio...

AFAIK, you need the decoding done by your set to satellite box and then the component or composite or s-video cable to your display. Don't think coaxial will cut it. Then run the audio via left and right.

Liver said:
AFAIK, you need the decoding done by your set to satellite box and then the component or composite or s-video cable to your display. Don't think coaxial will cut it. Then run the audio via left and right.
I would do something like that, but the box is a few rooms away :p I think my best bet will be a converter, if such a thing even exists.

You might look into getting a receiver with DVI/HDMI since the Westinghouse does support HDCP, so compatability should be a non-issue no matter how restrictive Dish is.

Dew said:
You might look into getting a receiver with DVI/HDMI since the Westinghouse does support HDCP, so compatability should be a non-issue no matter how restrictive DirecTV is.
I have Dish. Thanks for the suggestion, but I was thinking that maybe I could do it with a VCR.
For example:

| coax cable from wall |---> into the input of VCR--->output from VCR into the Westy

I really don't know if that will work, but it will be worth a shot. I plan on getting the screen sometime in August, so I have plenty of time to find out :D

TheOmniscientCreator said:
I have Dish. Thanks for the suggestion, but I was thinking that maybe I could do it with a VCR.
For example:

| coax cable from wall |---> into the input of VCR--->output from VCR into the Westy

I really don't know if that will work, but it will be worth a shot. I plan on getting the screen sometime in August, so I have plenty of time to find out :D

I still believe you need a set top box to decode the satellite signal from coaxial wall output. I mean that is why they sell more satellite boxes and charge for them. Otherwise people would jet get their VCRs out and use them like tuners.

As far as I know most (if not all) of Direct Tv and Dish Network channels are encrypted and need to be decoded by their hardware (legally). Off the shelf / consumer hardware will not decode the satellite signal.

Liver said:
I still believe you need a set top box to decode the satellite signal from coaxial wall output. I mean that is why they sell more satellite boxes and charge for them. Otherwise people would jet get their VCRs out and use them like tuners.

As far as I know most (if not all) of Direct Tv and Dish Network channels are encrypted and need to be decoded by their hardware (legally). Off the shelf / consumer hardware will not decode the satellite signal.
Don't get me wrong, I have 2 of their recievers. There is one TV that I am planning to replace with the 37", but the existing one has coax input...

yep, im sure they'd be willing to rent a newer model box with other outputs on it, you'll prob have to buy they cables though

so you want to connect your sat to the monitor (no tuner = monitor) via coax? That would have the worst quality picture. Are all the other connections on this monitor already full? I guess the real question is... what are you trying to do?

Rough Edit

Wait a tic... the reciever has a coax only connection... I thin an update will be needed. If you're getting a 1080p capable monitor, might as well get the HD sat too.

desertcoyote said:
so you want to connect your sat to the monitor (no tuner = monitor) via coax? That would have the worst quality picture. Are all the other connections on this monitor already full? I guess the real question is... what are you trying to do?

Rough Edit

Wait a tic... the reciever has a coax only connection... I thin an update will be needed. If you're getting a 1080p capable monitor, might as well get the HD sat too.
I'm leaning toward another monitor now anyway. Any suggestions? TVs work too, $1300 budget ;)

My personal experiences with newer tv/monitors are the Olevia 26 and 30 inch models. The 26hvx I have is very nice and was only $500.00 at Fry's Electronics in October '05. I use this as my PC monitor (MCE 2K5) and for my Xbox 360. It looks sweet, handles HD viewing very well... oh and is in my bedroom. The 30 inch I have is an older model that I also bought for cheap at Fry's ($700) and it works just fine but very limited with connections.

In all truth I was thinking of updating to the Westinghouse w37w3 that you were looking into.

Back