• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Westy 37" on UPS

Sireal

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 4, 2006
Messages
98
Last night for the first time since purchasing the Westy 37" and an APC Back-UPS 1500 (with addon battery module) the power went out and I noticed that the Westy made a fairly loud buzzing noise. When its on ac power it's completely silent but as soon as it switches to battery it starts to buzz. This happens even if the monitor is the only thing on the UPS.

My main concern is whether or not this is harming the monitor in some way? I also wonder if it's just an APC thing and if another brand might work better or if anyone has there Westy on a particular UPS with good results?

Thanks in advance!
 
Are you sure it's the Westy that's buzzing? I have a APC 1200VA and when it kicks on it buzzes quite loudly. Also if you're 100% certain it's the monitor, it may be a feedback through the speakers from the APC DC/AC conversion process. If you've ever had a Cellphone next to PC speakers, it's sort of similar to that sound.
 
Thats a good point but the sound "sounds" like its coming from the top middle area where the vents are. I also listened close to the UPS and can't hear anything from it specifically.
 
You may just not have noticed it before. But yes even "healthy" sets will make a buzzing sound. It's the backlighting power circuit just doing its thing. I personally wouldn't think of running a 37" monitor off a battery backup, the things are VERY power hungry and if they don't get enough power you have the potential for very bad things happening to the power circuits. Take it off the battery backup and just put it on a grounded surge supressor.
 
I was thinking it was probably the backlight circuit that was buzzing but oddly enough as long as its on ac I can't hear anything from it, as soon as I pull the plug and it goes to battery it gets loud enough I wouldn't want it to be "normal" thats for sure. ;) I just wish I had another UPS (preferably a different brand just to test). And yeah I will most likely pull it off of the battery and put it on a filtered only outlet if I can't get this sorted out. Definately do not want to be damaging the Westy!

Thanks for the replies guys!
 
Back
Top