Westinghouse VM-42F140S 42" Widescreen LCD HD Monitor - 1080p $580 + ship

Hmmm. My dad's co-worker was just asking me what big screen TV to get. I might have to mention this to her.

damn this seems too good to be true. I cant find any reviews on it but the regular price is 1200 anywhere else. I love the all black trim!

Color me clueless when I ask this question but I see 1920x1200 and then see 42" and I ask myself "shouldn't the resolution be higher?"

Supported Computer Resolutions 1024 x 768 (XGA) , 800 x 600 (SVGA) , 1280 x 768 (WXGA)

I've never had a TV monitor but does this matter?

I own a 42" Westinghouse monitor and I love it. I have had it for three years now and I can absolutely say that if was one of the best purchases I have ever made.

I was a little unsure about the Westinghouse brand, but trust me they are a very good company. Also, don't worry about the resolution. My monitor does 1920x1080 perfectly and so will this one.

This is a really good deal too.

I own a 42" Westinghouse monitor and I love it. I have had it for three years now and I can absolutely say that if was one of the best purchases I have ever made.

I was a little unsure about the Westinghouse brand, but trust me they are a very good company. Also, don't worry about the resolution. My monitor does 1920x1080 perfectly and so will this one.

This is a really good deal too.

So Im guessing the PC inputs wouldn't be used? Instead plug it into the HDMI?
Will the image be flawless? The reason why I'm asking is because I've seen some setups where it's plugged into the other inputs and the quality of the image is funky. A kind of double image or ghosting

After having 2 Westinghouses, I probably won't buy another since they both died after a little over a year. Westinghouse was nice enough to fix it out of warranty, but it took 5 months and I got a different TV (Lesser).

They are good if your looking for cheap, but if you got the $$$ its worth it to get something better.

Any info on screen frequency? I'm guessing 60Hz, but I can't confirm it...

really? you can be 110% sure it is 60Hz.

Facts? no facts..no facts at all.

On another note. I would be interested in looking at some reviews or if someone else already has this.

I had a Westy 37" LVM-37W3, was awesome for a PC. But it was an HD Monitor. Not a TV. I've seen these TV's (different size) at Costco for really cheap. They may not be as good today as the HD Monitors of the past.

hmm
I'm really on the fence here, seems like a great price but I was looking for atleast a 47" to replace my 30" tv

I bite. I will let you all kno how it is when i get it.

42" is plenty big enough for my bed room.

anyone want to buy my 47" westy for $600? lol

these monitors are great for your pc, all my games look amazing in 1080p

anyone want to buy my 47" westy for $600? lol

these monitors are great for your pc, all my games look amazing in 1080p
wouldnt using this as a pc monitor be bad? the resolution to size seems pretty wack

just to clarify, no tuner

i missed that. pretty big deal honestly. a high def ota tuner costs $100 at least, so if you want to use the tv to watch local channels then you can factor that cost in.

I'm thinking about getting one but it wont fit my desk without some massive mods.

Looks like this panel was marketed for businesses to use as displays, its got a Rs232 (i think) port for serial control.
One thing I am worried about though, being I cannot find any good reviews, is are WH screens known to have good back lights? or do they suffer from back light bleed?

Oh hey - thanks for the help! Oh wait, never mind.

sorry if I sounded rude....I wanted to point out something that was obvious to me but not to you and was very rude about it. you can accept my apology or not. don't care :)

on topic: Yes, this is a pretty good deal, but I am guessing this is a new model that recently came out?

Last edited:
Power Consumption Operational 300 watts -- according to ZDNet. WTH, can it really suck up that much juice?

The whole tuner thing is a bit of a big deal to me too. It's a killer price for the screen size, but no OTA or unencrypted QAM is all but a deal breaker. I'm not springing for cable (get basic digital and analog free now anyway ;)) unless I'm able to get FIOS (which seems likely though in my area of S.M. and related goings on recently). And a $40-70/month increase with upgrading to fiber cable/net/phone right now is money I'd rather save in case I lose my job - I've got a $12k car loan to pay off and all.

I probably should have sprung for that 40" Sammy/Bluray player a few weeks back for $940 shipped (oh well)...

well arent most cable companies clamping down on OTA selection? I thought people getting a $500+ tv wouldnt mind ordering proper HD service to get the most out of it. But I guess thats easy for me to say since I have a roommate to split the bill.

well arent most cable companies clamping down on OTA selection? I thought people getting a $500+ tv wouldnt mind ordering proper HD service to get the most out of it. But I guess thats easy for me to say since I have a roommate to split the bill.

Everything I have ever seen (in RT & in documentation) shows that OTA is much better than cable or sat for HD signals.

I have directv and still use my OTA antenna for a lot of transmissions because quality is better. PBS doesn't even brodcast all it's digital channels through D*TV. :-(

I still pay the extra for the locals in case I want to use my D*TV DVR on something...

ya but I'm talking about selection
atleast with Charter where I was at, I got next to nothing outside of the local/public channels
with Uverse HD service, 9 times out of 10 what I want to watch is in HD

Power Consumption Operational 300 watts -- according to ZDNet. WTH, can it really suck up that much juice?

The whole tuner thing is a bit of a big deal to me too. It's a killer price for the screen size, but no OTA or unencrypted QAM is all but a deal breaker. I'm not springing for cable (get basic digital and analog free now anyway ;)) unless I'm able to get FIOS (which seems likely though in my area of S.M. and related goings on recently). And a $40-70/month increase with upgrading to fiber cable/net/phone right now is money I'd rather save in case I lose my job - I've got a $12k car loan to pay off and all.

I probably should have sprung for that 40" Sammy/Bluray player a few weeks back for $940 shipped (oh well)...

Yep, a 42" LCD typically consumes over 250 watts. We got the idea that plasmas eat so much more, but a 42" plasma would only eat maybe 100 more watts. It's just that as we want brighter and brighter LCD's, the backlighting has to use a more power-hungry fluorescent bulb.

I'm personally waiting for LED-backlighted monitors to become more available. The colors will definitely be more pure and vibrant, with greater accuracy. And I can only wonder what the power savings would be. Would it yield another 100W reduction, or even more? Plus, we'll be enjoying deeper blacks on the un-lit areas of the screen, depending on how many LED bulbs are used to light up the LCD (the more, the better).

A few years ago, I would have gone nuts over this 42" deal. But 42" just doesnt cut it for me anymore. It just feels too small, even for small living rooms. A 46" screen feels so much bigger, and makes it feel a lot more like theater.

debating between this and the refurbished vizio 47" 120hz for 899... bought 3 refurb vizios in the past from tigerdirect... my issue is that i can't find any reviews anywhere for the westinghouse . my other deal is that 42" is too small :-P

Looks like the deal has changed a bit. Price after shipping is now 706 for me in Illinois rather than the 650 it was a few days ago.

Looks like the deal has changed a bit. Price after shipping is now 706 for me in Illinois rather than the 650 it was a few days ago.

yup. the shipping has changed from $36 before to now $99. If shipping was that much before, i wouldnt of gotten it.

just an extra little tip... if you go to live.com directly you'll get the 5% on tigerdirect... BUT you can get 8.2% by doing a live.com search for "hdtv tigerdirect" up at top on the sponsored links (make sure adblock is turned off)

would totally buy this if i saw more reviews, but can't seem to pull the trigger

My 2 cents, I have a 26" Westy HD Monitor that's 9 months old and the backlight bleeding is terrible. If I was using it as a TV and not a monitor I would be pretty upset. But since its just a monitor and used in a well lit room it doesn't bother me. In a dark room though you can see it on all 4 sides.

Back