Westinghouse LVM-37w3 $1,299.99 Shipped

codegoblin

n00b
Crutchfield

They are currently out of stock at the 1299.99 price; however, they are still accepting orders. I just ordered mine and the receipt is confirmed at this price. I was reading an article on the [H] consumer page about building a new PC and started wishing for some new gear. I saw this on sale and didn't think twice about it.... other than how I was going to pay for it :rolleyes:

No way, you sure it was the exact same lcd? I might have to make a trip to sams

Yeah i only see one Westinghouse TV on sams website... I'll be up there in a minute if its the 1080p model for that price.

On SD, I also noticed that they have (or had before it was sold out) the 40" model of this Westinghouse TV for about $1,500. How is Westinghouse as a company? Are they somewhere between top-tier (Pioneer, Sony, Samsung, Toshiba, etc.) and bottom-tier (Sylvania, Emerson, Polaroid, Syntax, Audiovox, etc.)? I consider middle-tier companies such as RCA, Zenith, etc. so is that how Westinghouse would be ranked? TIA.

i'm guessing this wouldnt be good as a dorm television due to lack of tuner?

beowulf7 said:
On SD, I also noticed that they have (or had before it was sold out) the 40" model of this Westinghouse TV for about $1,500. How is Westinghouse as a company? Are they somewhere between top-tier (Pioneer, Sony, Samsung, Toshiba, etc.) and bottom-tier (Sylvania, Emerson, Polaroid, Syntax, Audiovox, etc.)? I consider middle-tier companies such as RCA, Zenith, etc. so is that how Westinghouse would be ranked? TIA.

THE COMPANY
To answer your question Beowulf7, I would consider them a 2nd tier company by virtue of the products quality being on par with that of 2nd tier and most 1st tier company products. I think by most consumer's accounts they are happy with their Westinghouse products. The daughter company, Westinghouse Digital Electronics is the part of Westinghouse that manufactures these monitors. I did a quick check on the stock market to see if they were publicly held and what their stock profile looked like. I couldn't find it and am guessing that they are privately held. Westinghouse is an American company and would bet that they manufacture the majority of their products in China.

Wikipedia Article

THE PRODUCTS
The warranty is short and is only a one year long on this monitor. From the reviews that I have read no one has experienced a DOA product or any major problems so the warrany might be a moot point. Westinghouse appears to be highly motivated to increase its market share by undercutting its competitors' prices which would in part explain their consumer popularity.

^^^^
As per that Wikipedia article:

1998 - sells remaining manufacturing asset, its nuclear business, to BNFL who still operates it as Westinghouse Electric Company; now known as CBS Corporation, creates new subsidiary company called Westinghouse Electric Corporation to manage the Westinghouse brand

1999 - sold to Viacom, Inc.

I take it that Westinghouse is a subsidiary of Viacom? Too lazy to look up more info.... (+ getting off topic somewhat)

Westinghouse makes no LCD screens. There are only a very few companies that actually makes the screens. Westinghouse is liek Syntax, they buy the screens and basically rebadge them as their own.

Currently, the Westinghouse 1080P models are some of the best bang for the buck you can get, especially when they go on sale.

codegoblin said:
THE COMPANY
To answer your question Beowulf7, I would consider them a 2nd tier company by virtue of the products quality being on par with that of 2nd tier and most 1st tier company products. I think by most consumer's accounts they are happy with their Westinghouse products. The daughter company, Westinghouse Digital Electronics is the part of Westinghouse that manufactures these monitors. I did a quick check on the stock market to see if they were publicly held and what their stock profile looked like. I couldn't find it and am guessing that they are privately held. Westinghouse is an American company and would bet that they manufacture the majority of their products in China.

Wikipedia Article

THE PRODUCTS
The warranty is short and is only a one year long on this monitor. From the reviews that I have read no one has experienced a DOA product or any major problems so the warrany might be a moot point. Westinghouse appears to be highly motivated to increase its market share by undercutting its competitors' prices which would in part explain their consumer popularity.
Thanks, codegoblin. So I guess their products won't be as great as the expensive TV makers (the ones I listed as "top-tier"), but it appears customer satisfaction is high for Westinghouse's TVs.

beowulf7 said:
Thanks, codegoblin. So I guess their products won't be as great as the expensive TV makers (the ones I listed as "top-tier"), but it appears customer satisfaction is high for Westinghouse's TVs.

Well, of course. Getting a 10K Pioneer Elite will look a lot better. But the Westinghouses are very nice for the price. Another one is Sceptre, you can get them from Costco. What is nice about Costco is their return poilicy: return it for whatever reaon, whenever you want to. So, buy a $1,500 LCD and in 5 years take it back, get the full credit, then use that to buy the current $1,500 tv with all the new bells and whistles. All you got to to is copy the receipt(they fade over time) and tape both the receipt and the copy to the back of the TV, that way it is never lost.

Here are the two Sceptre 1080P models:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?whse=&topnav=&prodid=11042448&ec=BC-EC877-CatHome&pos=10

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...t=2341&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&Sp=C&topnav=

himmy said:
Well, of course. Getting a 10K Pioneer Elite will look a lot better. But the Westinghouses are very nice for the price. Another one is Sceptre, you can get them from Costco. What is nice about Costco is their return poilicy: return it for whatever reaon, whenever you want to. So, buy a $1,500 LCD and in 5 years take it back, get the full credit, then use that to buy the current $1,500 tv with all the new bells and whistles. All you got to to is copy the receipt(they fade over time) and tape both the receipt and the copy to the back of the TV, that way it is never lost.

Here are the two Sceptre 1080P models:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?whse=&topnav=&prodid=11042448&ec=BC-EC877-CatHome&pos=10

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...t=2341&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&Sp=C&topnav=
Well, I was referring to TVs that are only slightly more expensive, such as a $2k Samsung or Toshiba (as opposed to the $10k Pioneer Elite you mentioned).

That's a good idea w/ the receipt taping method. I do that, too. :cool: I typically tape receipts under the products, such as a microwave oven, TV, etc.

I've never been to Costco before, but I've heard that they have the most liberal return policy of any store. I just wonder how good the picture quality of an unknown brand, such as Scepter, is compared to a name brand. I mean, if you can get a TV cheap like that and not have to worry about it breaking down b/c of their warranty policy, but if it destroys your vision or gives you migraine headaches b/c of poor PQ, is it really worth it? :confused:

beowulf7 said:
Well, I was referring to TVs that are only slightly more expensive, such as a $2k Samsung or Toshiba (as opposed to the $10k Pioneer Elite you mentioned).

That's a good idea w/ the receipt taping method. I do that, too. :cool: I typically tape receipts under the products, such as a microwave oven, TV, etc.

I've never been to Costco before, but I've heard that they have the most liberal return policy of any store. I just wonder how good the picture quality of an unknown brand, such as Scepter, is compared to a name brand. I mean, if you can get a TV cheap like that and not have to worry about it breaking down b/c of their warranty policy, but if it destroys your vision or gives you migraine headaches b/c of poor PQ, is it really worth it? :confused:

take time to read www.avsforum.com

There is a LCD/Plasma section. All of these TV's have huge threads discussing people's experience with them.

himmy said:
take time to read www.avsforum.com

There is a LCD/Plasma section. All of these TV's have huge threads discussing people's experience with them.
I am already a member of AVS Forum (for several years now). But since I'm currently not researching TVs for myself yet, I haven't really perused their TV sections much, except occasionally and at a superficial level.

I personally wound up getting a cheap 20" all-in-one Sylvania TV for my living room b/c I'm in an apt. and plan to get a house soon, which is when I'll build a real HTS and put this crappy Sylvania TV in the guest bedroom.

just a note this TV doesn't have a tuner, the x37sv-naga has a tuner so you will be able to watch public HD content through a good antenna

Back