Western Digital - Red

KraXed112

Weaksauce
I have a small little media server in my apartment.

its currently using a 3tb green drive. lately its been disconnecting, and wont reconnect without a reboot.

same outcome if i plug in into the other computers i have here.

Currently it streams to about 5-6 friends as it gets tv shows and movies.

I've read the RED drives are great for a RAID environment, which im not using but i'm very interested in the read/write variable speeds it has, since it was made for 24/7 usage.

Anyone would have any input on this?

The feature set of the RED drives would not be of interest to you. There is some "implied" better quality in the drive since it has a slightly longer warranty. But the black has the same warranty that the enterprise drives do.

Along side the Red drives are the Purple drives which are kind of intended for a similar life, just not in a RAID enviornment.

Damn, just bought some 3TB red's no less than 45 mins ago. Be interested to see how they do. The blacks are really expensive.

The feature set of the RED drives would not be of interest to you. There is some "implied" better quality in the drive since it has a slightly longer warranty. But the black has the same warranty that the enterprise drives do.

Along side the Red drives are the Purple drives which are kind of intended for a similar life, just not in a RAID enviornment.

The link goes to amazon, which has the green drive at $144 and the red at $169

http://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr...+drive&ie=UTF8&qid=1415821195&rnid=2528832011

As i said, its for 24/7 usage. streams tv shows, movies which are downloaded via usenet and torrents.

Should I just stick with the green?

I run 8 3tb reds in stand alone and they work great. Longer warranty than the greens and have been more reliable for me (disclaimer, sample size of 2). Not a fan of the greens at all.

I've bought greens about 3 times. In all 3, they died shortly.

Only a sample size of 3, but.....not a fan off Greens.

Reds are fairly slow 5400RPM hard drives just like the Greens. The major difference I am aware of is they have TLER support for use with a Hardware RAID controller. A Google search will find you indepth performance statistics for these drives.

Blacks are a desktop class 7200RPM hard drive. The are obviously going to be faster than the Reds.

Reds also take a pretty decent hit to their performance when they are configured in a parity RAID (RAID-5,RAID-6,etc).

That said, if they are going into a box that is accessed through a network, and said network is only cable of say 1-2Gb max performance (which sounds pretty normal for a "small" media server), the Reds should be fine, but I doubt they are going to be "that" much faster than what you already have.

Reds are similar to greens indeed, there is no variable speed in either, it's "around 5400rpm" and that's it. Personally if I need even a bit of speed I will use SSDs (my main one is a 1TB...), so greens/reds (and their equivalent Seagate counterparts) are fine for my usage.

Forget the RED's and just go with the HGST NAS which has some enterprise features, is 7,200K and raid friendly.

WD now has the RED pro with 5 year warranty at extra cost so they should in theory be more durable otherwise your choice is the RE which is twice the price.

Reds are fairly slow 5400RPM hard drives just like the Greens. The major difference I am aware of is they have TLER support for use with a Hardware RAID controller. A Google search will find you indepth performance statistics for these drives.

Blacks are a desktop class 7200RPM hard drive. The are obviously going to be faster than the Reds.

Reds also take a pretty decent hit to their performance when they are configured in a parity RAID (RAID-5,RAID-6,etc).

That said, if they are going into a box that is accessed through a network, and said network is only cable of say 1-2Gb max performance (which sounds pretty normal for a "small" media server), the Reds should be fine, but I doubt they are going to be "that" much faster than what you already have.

Thanks, i'll be getting 2 RED's, the longer warranty works out for me, i'll configure in a raid 1

Back