Western Digital RE drives

maximus1284

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 18, 2007
Messages
179
so I noticed WD has some RAID Edition drives...would these perform better than a Barracuda or WD SE drive in RAID for gaming and general purpose use? they sound like they'd be better suited for servers...but if RE drives are the best drives for RAID, I'll have to buy some
 
none of that... my understanding is with the timeout/signaling for a raid array (so the drives don't drop out of the array). i think i've heard mention of increased robustness, but i have my doubts.

otherwise, i think there is no difference between the RE's and a standard drive, performance wise.
 
none of that... my understanding is with the timeout/signaling for a raid array (so the drives don't drop out of the array). i think i've heard mention of increased robustness, but i have my doubts.

otherwise, i think there is no difference between the RE's and a standard drive, performance wise.


I tend to agree. It was mainly there to fix some issues that raid controllers had. A lot of people have sucess with the normal drives, but I guess this is more of a "go safe route".

One thing to note is that the RE drives does have a 5 year warranty on them, so there perhaps could be better mechanics or just better supported.
 
well I was originally planning to get either 3 250GB Barracudas or 3 320GB Barracudas depending on price and putting them in a RAID 5 array. then I saw these RE HD's and thought "ooooooh, raid edition...they gotta be good." if there isn't anything significantly better about them, I'll just stick to my original plan :)
 
Back
Top