Western Digital = JUNK

Crosshairs

Administrator
Staff member
[RANT] One day, One lousy day, and one of my Raptors gets a death rattle and shits the bed...Then I get *****INCOMPLETE RAID SET******
What the hell happened to quality control![/RANT]

Man am I pissed

Price pressure + open architecture. But then WD has always been Western Disaster in my mind.

2 posts deleted one for inappropriate content, the other qouting it
feel free to repost your opinion in an acceptable form.

Originally posted by Ice Czar
2 posts deleted one for inappropriate content, the other qouting it
feel free to repost your opinion in an acceptable form.

Aww, but everyone loves the `my company is better than your company` threads.

Raptors have like a 5 year warranty, send it in get a new one with 5 more years of warranty. You knew the risks of RAID when you set it up also.

Originally posted by Twister
Just out of curiosity, how were the drives being cooled?

They were mounted in my hard drive bay that has 2 80mm fans blowing thru it. I dont think it was a heat issue. These were BRAND NEW. I only put them in last night, maybe a total of 2.5 hours on em.
I heard it coming, but like a car wreck just could not stop it. One of em started making a loud clanking noise, then all hell broke loose. I think one of the platters came apart, or came off the spindle.

Originally posted by theTIK
Raptors have like a 5 year warranty, send it in get a new one with 5 more years of warranty. You knew the risks of RAID when you set it up also.

LOL Yeah I know about the warranty, but I didnt think I would need it the 2nd day I had em. And as far as the risk, yeah I know RAID is risky, but my Seagates been humming along for almost a year in RAID without a hiccup, I guess I expected the same from these.

Life goes on, I got a dud, thats all.

Originally posted by Crosshairs
LOL Yeah I know about the warranty, but I didnt think I would need it the 2nd day I had em. And as far as the risk, yeah I know RAID is risky, but my Seagates been humming along for almost a year in RAID without a hiccup, I guess I expected the same from these.

Life goes on, I got a dud, thats all.

No matter what brand you buy of any computer part seagate or whatever there is always the possibility of it breaking very soon after you purchase it. Doesn't matter how reliable the company is it can happen to anyone. I've had it happen to me from Corsair, Kingston, Ati, Abit, Ibm, Western Digital, and Intel. All extremely fine companies and i'd buy their products again, especially since all the replacements i've gotten have worked fine. You are just extra angry right now cause it just happened.

Yeah Im pissed, But im gonna RMA them and do it all over. Stuff happens It just sucks when it happens to you :)

Ive had 4-5 seagates and loved every one of them.

Every WD (only two mind you) has failed or become so loud its nearly unuseable.

Im a seagate man for life ;)

now if they could just make a 250gig sata drive....

Wow, there sure seems to be a lot of Raptor failures around here. That comes as a surprise to me, given the five year warranty.

ullyeus, I've heard that Seagate has a two-platter policy. That is, they will only sell drives that have up to two platters, which I presume is for reliability and noise concerns. I think that the highest platter size is 100 GB, so it may be a while.

Originally posted by xonik
Wow, there sure seems to be a lot of Raptor failures around here. That comes as a surprise to me, given the five year warranty.

ullyeus, I've heard that Seagate has a two-platter policy. That is, they will only sell drives that have up to two platters, which I presume is for reliability and noise concerns. I think that the highest platter size is 100 GB, so it may be a while.

Name a harddrive that don´t fail within the warranty time :rolleyes: I sure never have owned one. Except my WD 800 JB which still is running as good as always but I expect it to die soon as everyone else does.

if a drive dies within 25h of running time you KNOW somebody was due for a coffee break when they were making that one.

Sorry to hear about it, shouldn't be a problem to RMA it.

Yeah I sent em off this morning. It just sucks, I have to pay for shipping them back. I sent them with insurance and DC, so it was 13 bucks. I bought these from zipzoomfly cause they had free shiping, which made it 10 bucks cheaper that newegg. I cant help but think that if I had got em from newegg, I would not have gotten this defective drive. its just luck of the draw I guess.

Originally posted by accidentalsuccess
if a drive dies within 25h of running time you KNOW somebody was due for a coffee break when they were making that one.

Sorry to hear about it, shouldn't be a problem to RMA it.

far more likely it met up with an 800lb gorilla in the form of a stockboy or truckdriver (or end user) :p

Originally posted by oqvist
Name a harddrive that don´t fail within the warranty time :rolleyes: I sure never have owned one. Except my WD 800 JB which still is running as good as always but I expect it to die soon as everyone else does.
What makes this unusual is that no Raptor has been in anyone's hands for more than one year, and the warranty implies the manufacturer's confidence in the product for five years.

Originally posted by Ice Czar
far more likely it met up with an 800lb gorilla in the form of a stockboy or truckdriver (or end user) :p

Well I know I didnt damage it, I was REAL carefull as I tapped it into place with a sledgehammer. :D

while fingering the IC chips and shuffling your feet on the shag carpet :p

Nevertheless < a good read ;)

my favorite part is
"This can be the equivalent of running over a bowling ball in a go-cart traveling at Mach 813." :eek:

Originally posted by xonik
What makes this unusual is that no Raptor has been in anyone's hands for more than one year, and the warranty implies the manufacturer's confidence in the product for five years.

Warranties are not an indication of the manufacturer's confidence in a product. Marketers would have you believe this, but in reality, it's simply a statistical calculation considering how many units are projected to fail within that period, the cost of service/replacement, and the built-in cost to the consumer to cover this. If the numbers don't at least break even, you either reduce the warranty or jack up the user's cost. It's no different than other forms of insurance. Heck, I'm sure there are a few companies selling the manufacturers re-insurance products to cover any unprojected overruns.

...then perhaps the conclusion to be made is that WD may lower this warranty period as it has with its 7200 RPM lines. What is your take on this?

They can't do that if they're aiming it at the entry-level enterprise market. SOHO is far more sensitive to price than are corporates who value time, and their jobs, more highly. Thus the logical solution would be to just up the cost should the units start failing above the predicted rate. Of course if they've reinsured their only issue will be higher premiums on the next contract.

Nice Link Ice Czar, some good info on that site. I know I have broken almost all those rules one time or another, Maybe all at once too :p

even more disconcerting is the due diligence practised with your drives before you actually get them.

Ive had 3\5\12 X Brand HDDs die on me ect ect ect

you buy em all from the same place?
did the same Mario Andretti wannabe drop kickem to your doorstep?

some sources for the same model of HDDs are better than others ;)

No matter what brand you buy of any computer part seagate or whatever there is always the possibility of it breaking very soon after you purchase it. Doesn't matter how reliable the company is it can happen to anyone. I've had it happen to me from Corsair, Kingston, Ati, Abit, Ibm, Western Digital, and Intel. All extremely fine companies and i'd buy their products again, especially since all the replacements i've gotten have worked fine. You are just extra angry right now cause it just happened.

IBMs old drives were not an extremely fine product ;) epecially their 60gb Deathstars :D i had 3 of those die on me within 8months :p

all of my WDs have been running 1yr+ fine without any problems and are very quiet, my oldest drive which gets atleast 5hrs of use almost every day is an IBM 8gb from 1997, it runs fine :eek:

Originally posted by portlandoregongamer
IBMs old drives were not an extremely fine product ;) epecially their 60gb Deathstars :D i had 3 of those die on me within 8months :p

all of my WDs have been running 1yr+ fine without any problems and are very quiet, my oldest drive which gets atleast 5hrs of use almost every day is an IBM 8gb from 1997, it runs fine :eek:

Yea those IBM's drives were considered the best until they starting dieing on everyone, everyone I personally knew that had one had it die on him.

They were mounted in my hard drive bay that has 2 80mm fans blowing thru it. I dont think it was a heat issue. These were BRAND NEW. I only put them in last night, maybe a total of 2.5 hours on em.
I heard it coming, but like a car wreck just could not stop it. One of em started making a loud clanking noise, then all hell broke loose. I think one of the platters came apart, or came off the spindle.

atleast it happened right away?

Yea those IBM's drives were considered the best until they starting dieing on everyone, everyone I personally knew that had one had it die on him.

i had 4 75gxps die... hah.

Your Raptor lasted longer than my Raptor, mine was DOA from the get go. I noticed when I got it out of the box it had a clanking noise, the same noise as a bunch of the WD Proteges we got in at work when we were a WD reseller. WD's quality control has really gone to hell lately and now I'm back to Seagate and think I'll stay here this time :cool:

Hopefully the new 74 GB raptors with the better bearings or whatever will have less problems. I hope this because I have one :)

i kind of have an unofficial personal rule to stay off the bleeding edge (partly 'cause I'm not so in teh $$ as some ppl around here. . .but read on). This especially is with HD's 'cause they actually involve moving parts. . .that is, I was suspicious of the great IBM dethstars and the raptors. . .the technology was just a little shy of mature. That said, most people don't have probs w/ raptors or if they do, they are insta-fail. Maybe that's 'cause of the 10k rpm in a company that doesn't have a ton of high-rpm lines (skuzzy ppl care to comment?) or whatever, but I hear the 74 gig raptors are better for data rates, noise, and overall performance. That reeks of some issues being worked out on the "bleeding edge"

/end rambling.

I just got a 160 gig Seagate 7 drive that I'm hyped to install tomorrow. I figure I'll stick to high-end IDE for now 'cause it's cheaper and I don't need the sustained high transfer rates.

p.s. That really REALLY sucks to pay shipping on something that was more or less DOA.

WD doesn't have experience in high-rpm models, true. They're the one mfg who doesn't make any SCSI units at all. It does make me somewhat nervous, but then I also never buy the first run of machines, cars, DVD players, disks, processors, boards, bus technologies, etc.

Well I should have my drives back from RMA tomorrow...... Wish me luck.....Im hoping to have em in my hands more than 24 hours this time :)

hey, i heard it "around" that you may want to get a drive'cooler fan that attaches to the HD as the raptors get very hot. Maybe it's case-temp probs that killed your other one? who knows.

anyways, GL!

Yeah,I have 2 80mm fans blowing right over them , I dont think it was temps, they died in about 2.5 hours . I havent put the new ones in yet, Kinda scared :)

I had 6 Western Digitals die in a week. 2 Of them in One machine. I use Samsung and seagate now.

OK Now I am pissed!!!!! I was expecting to have my drives on my porch today, and instead I get a phone call from zipzoomfly telling me one of the drives has physical damage on it, and must be sent back to Westerd Digital for inspection. BULLSHIT!!!! I say "did you test that drive", they say "no, We dont test drives with physical damage" But she said " the other one is definatly bad" No kidding sherlock! So now, they say they are gonna send me back the one, and then if WD fixes the other one, They will send that. But if the say that its consumer damage then I have to pay for another one. I asked what type of damage, she tells me that the SATA power connector is cracked. I didnt even use that connector, I used the molex connector. And I DID NOT DAMAGE THAT DRIVE. Before I hung up, I told her to keep them both, cause I am disputing the charge on mycredit card, and I DO NOT WANT THEM BACK!!!
I mean WTF, They send me defective drives, then I gotta pay to send em back the next day, Now this Bullshit!!!!!
I ordered 2 from newegg already and wont deal with zipzoomfly again.

OK Now I am pissed!!!!! I was expecting to have my drives on my porch today, and instead I get a phone call from zipzoomfly telling me one of the drives has physical damage on it, and must be sent back to Westerd Digital for inspection. BULLSHIT!!!! I say "did you test that drive", they say "no, We dont test drives with physical damage" But she said " the other one is definatly bad" No kidding sherlock! So now, they say they are gonna send me back the one, and then if WD fixes the other one, They will send that. But if the say that its consumer damage then I have to pay for another one. I asked what type of damage, she tells me that the SATA power connector is cracked. I didnt even use that connector, I used the molex connector. And I DID NOT DAMAGE THAT DRIVE. Before I hung up, I told her to keep them both, cause I am disputing the charge on mycredit card, and I DO NOT WANT THEM BACK!!!
I mean WTF, They send me defective drives, then I gotta pay to send em back the next day, Now this Bullshit!!!!!

Ouch, rough ... GL getting that taken care of ... I bought my raptors from Newegg about 6 months ago and I've had no problems thus far...

Major bad luck there man. Good luck to ya.

Anytime I try something "new" I usually get bit in the ass :) (like when I "switched" from ABIT mobos to MSI ones) Took 6 months to get the MSI board back :p Never again I say! :)

I usually stick with what works for me. I have 4 WD drives in my system now. All working well *knock on wood*

Cheers,

Mr. Pain

Back