Western Digital drives dont work on Intel SATA controllers?

niconx

2[H]4U
Ok so I have three 3TB WD drives and one 400GB WD drive that refuse to work correctly on Intel SATA controllers. I have to use the Marvell controllers instead. On Intel controllers the 3TB drives each show up as 749.39GB unallocated in disk management (yes it is GPT and 64bit Win7 SP1). The 400GB cannot even be formatted without spitting out an error.

Even the WD utility to write zeros spits out an error. So whats the deal witth some WD drives not working on Intel controllers? I have two 1TB WD drives and one 2TB WD drive that work perfectly fine on the Intel SATA controller.

I always thought my 400GB drive problem was just a fluke but now with the 3TB not working on Intel controllers I wonder if this is intentional.

I have not had this problem with dozens of WDC drives and ICH7, ICH9 or ICH10.

Did you get a new B3 motherboard to replace the buggy SATA ports on the original revision that was shipped in February?

I have not had this problem with dozens of WDC drives and ICH7, ICH9 or ICH10.

Did you get a new B3 motherboard to replace the buggy SATA ports on the original revision that was shipped in February?

Yea it is B3 and EFI recognizes the drives as 3000.5GB each. Both my old Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 and new Asus Sabertooth P67 have problems with a WD 400GB drive on the Intel controllers as well. If you get one of these drives be careful. You know the 3TB drives themselves actually shipped with a driverless Highpoint Rocket 620 controller using a Marvell chip. With one Rocket 620 controller installed it boots Win7 in 6 seconds off the Intel 510 120GB SSD on the Intel 6G controller. The funny thing is that if I put 2 of those Rocket 620s in at once then Win7 mysteriously goes to a 1min 53sec boot.

Back