• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Western Digital Drive Dying

Brashen

Gawd
Joined
Jul 25, 2008
Messages
695
So I tried to watch a movie today on my WD 1TB drive but they were taking a monumental amount of time to load, i.e. the green bar on top (address bar) was taking forever to reach it's destination.

That was my first warning flag. The second was when I restarted the PC and the computer did chkdisk on booting. "Well that settles it then" I surmised. I need a new Drive. So I've opted to go with another WD 2TB drive. Now my question is, how can I back up the drives....Copying the contents from one drive to the next is moving at a snail's pace, 216KBs... Is there another faster way to move the items outside of windows?

Thanks in advance for the help.
 
is the 1TB drive still under warrantee? if is, WD is pretty good with RMA'ing and replacing bad HDs.

regarding disk copying, you could load a PE and do a disk copy there, might be better than doing under windows. alternatively load up a imager.

another thing to try is R-Studio. this will attempt to recover and copy the contents of failing drive. it might be as slow as copying under windows, especially whilst reading the damaged sectors.
 
That's why you always back up data! I shouldn't be talking I have 14tb worth of media not backed up XP its hard when i have to buy another 7 drives. Hard on my wallet.
 
That's why you always back up data! I shouldn't be talking I have 14tb worth of media not backed up XP its hard when i have to buy another 7 drives. Hard on my wallet.
I recommend what I am currently doing. Buy two 2TB drives *or more* set them up in a JBOD array and use some kind of backup program to do daily backups of anything you absolutely can not live without/find again/dont want to download again.
If anything fails. You can at least recover your most important files.
I keep all my 80's 90's cartoons and stuff that is hard to find on this emergency array. It might not have EVERYTHING, but the peace of mind knowing you have your important stuff and the low cost effect is pretty nice.
 
Back
Top