Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB $99 - FS

Great Drive. I am so tempted to bite and replace my Seagate 7200.11 with the bad firmware that refuses a flash.

Normally I don't shop for HDs from Newegg, but has anyone tried giving "special instructions"?

E.g. request foam box, with air bag packing, placed in a larger box?
Or hell just say it - Pack it the way it should be, like ZZF? Your main competitor? Haha.

Every drive I have ever received has been packaged well, including an OEM I bought last week.

Anyhow, in for one. I can use this for storage and move my full 400gb to another box.

How is this compared to a WD6400aaks

They are bigger and slower. The Green model is a 5400 rpm drive IIRC. It is intended to provide cool, quite, reliable storage but isn't designed for maximum performance. Even so it is probably faster than most older 7200rpm drives with much lower platter densities.

Also, for anyone who's looking, the 5400 rpm samsung 1tb drive is $89 at microcenter - I picked one up for backup storage yesterday:)

They are bigger and slower. The Green model is a 5400 rpm drive IIRC. It is intended to provide cool, quite, reliable storage but isn't designed for maximum performance. Even so it is probably faster than most older 7200rpm drives with much lower platter densities.

Also, for anyone who's looking, the 5400 rpm samsung 1tb drive is $89 at microcenter - I picked one up for backup storage yesterday:)

bah, maybe I'll swing by MC tonight and see if they have any. Was it oem?

No need for 7200 since it's simply back-up and storage for pics and mp3's.

Great find, been eyeing this drive waiting for a price drop, especially since hearing of the high price of the 2TB model.

I have two of these. Great drives, and really cool...No regrets getting these for storage...

I even put them in a dual external and they worked great that way too..

In for four. :p

All of my smaller storage drives are packed, and need to be migrated over.

I don't know why I don't just burn stuff :rolleyes:

Ended up with this. $98 out the door. 32mb cache also.

I love these drives and they're plenty fast if you RAID them up. Here's some matrix RAID benchmarks from a set of three.

HDTune_R0_3_wd10ead@483gb.png

HDTune_R5_3_wd10ead@1.678tb.png

After a bunch of testing (1) turned out to be bad. The more testing I did the more reallocation events I saw. :eek: but NewEgg's RMA's are painless, they sent me a shipping label. Drive's were packed OK AFAIRecall.

For reference I'm running Vista-32 HP on an ASUS P5E-VM HDMI w/ E5200 @ 3.5GHz.

link? they are still on sale? I bought 6 for $79 each a week ago.

Despite my recent drive failure on a new WD10EADS, I still prefer WD and they're the only brand I'll buy, even if Samsung/Seagate are cheaper...

re: Seagate, check this:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51911

Bing there's already several threads on that. Most of us have been following that since last year. My big question about the 10EADS is still on the retarded Intellipark policy that WD thinks is so smart.

If it's still as stupidly aggressive as the 10EACS, then WD hasn't learned a damn thing. That and there's no easy way of setting it or even turning it off.

I'm confused. I bought a much faster Spinpoint F1 1TB on Newegg for $95 shipped last week. Why is it a hot deal that this slower drive is selling for more money... :confused:

Its still there but without the free shipping: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152102&Tpk=spinpoint f1 1tb

1. Samsung F1 is louder.
2. Samsung F1 uses more power.
3. Samsung F1 has a higher rate of failure.

Unless you have fast and large storage needs, there is no reason to not get the GP drives over anything else. I use my larger drives for data, while my 2-platter 640s are for software.

1. Samsung F1 is louder.
2. Samsung F1 uses more power.
3. Samsung F1 has a higher rate of failure.

Unless you have fast and large storage needs, there is no reason to not get the GP drives over anything else. I use my larger drives for data, while my 2-platter 640s are for software.

higher failure rate? please back up your claim if you can. I was just about to buy a samsung now you have my puzzled.

higher failure rate? please back up your claim if you can. I was just about to buy a samsung now you have my puzzled.
Sorry, it was a while back, I should have clarified that. I'm think they fixed it with a firmware update or something, although I myself am still a little weary of the F1 series. Then there are Seagate's recent plethora of problems and sub-par customer service as of late (for me at least). So, I'm sticking to WD where possible.

Sorry, it was a while back, I should have clarified that. I'm think they fixed it with a firmware update or something, although I myself am still a little weary of the F1 series. Then there are Seagate's recent plethora of problems and sub-par customer service as of late (for me at least). So, I'm sticking to WD where possible.

Don't be put off by this guys. This is just his personal experience. My experience is I'm on my 5th F1 (assorted sizes) and they have all been rock solid. Not to mention faaaast.

... My big question about the 10EADS is still on the retarded Intellipark policy that WD thinks is so smart.

If it's still as stupidly aggressive as the 10EACS, then WD hasn't learned a damn thing. That and there's no easy way of setting it or even turning it off.

Interesting, thanks for mentioning that. I found a forum with a good discussion of that issue but I haven't read everything there yet...

http://www.synology.com/enu/forum/viewforum.php?f=124&sid=3ecb4b82469314bb4aa3cbc3604c44d3

Seems there is a dos-based tool to disable Intellipark on older drives but it's not to be used on newer drives. Not sure if the newer/older delineation corresponds to EACS/EADS or not. I'm still not sure either if the EADS uses Intellipark or not. The problems with that technology really seem to resolve around your choice of OS, if you using Windoze or OS X doesn't seem there's any problem. Which I'm sure isn't much comfort to those running Linux or the like.

Back