Western Digital Black vs Black Scorpio 2.5

kingdom9214

Limp Gawd
I'm replacing the 1tb 5400rpm drive in my Asus G75. I thought about getting a SSD and second 7200rpm drive for mass storage. After thinking about it I decided to go with 2x 7200rpm drives in Raid 0. Since I've done this before on my old M17x and it worked great.

I was just wondering what the difference between the new new Western Digital Black Series and the older Scorpio Blacks ? Which ones should I get ?

Black Series
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W014M8026

Black Scorpios
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0AT12S9843

After thinking about it I decided to go with 2x 7200rpm drives in Raid 0

I would advise against that. Get a 256GB SSD (Samsung EVO or Crucial M500) + use the hard drive that is already in the laptop. You will save money this way and have orders of magnitude better performance and better expected reliability.

I would advise against that. Get a 256GB SSD (Samsung EVO or Crucial M500) + use the hard drive that is already in the laptop. You will save money this way and have orders of magnitude better performance and better expected reliability.

A SSD just doesn't have enough space for me, I considered the 240gb M500 with a single 750gb Black but I would just rather have a good raid 0 array with 1.5tb of storage. The Black Scorpios in raid average about 200mb/s which is plenty for me. The Stock 1tb gets about 75mb/s which is just way to slow.

A SSD just doesn't have enough space for me, I considered the 240gb M500 with a single 750gb Black but I would just rather have a good raid 0 array with 1.5tb of storage. The Black Scorpios in raid average about 200mb/s which is plenty for me. The Stock 1tb gets about 75mb/s which is just way to slow.

The sequential speed isn't why you get an SSD, the random R/W performance is. If you really do need more space than an SSD + HDD would give you, go for the RAID 0 HDDs, but an SSD + HDD will give you a much better experience even in simple use cases, plus it should be more reliable than RAID 0.

Well I just bought the Crucail m500 240gb SSD and a HGST 1tb 7200rpm 32mb 2.5 HDD.

It's tricky. But the X is SATA 6.0Gb/s and the T is SATA 3.0Gb/s

Which means absolutely nothing for platter drives.

Agreed laptop hard drives do not even need the full bandwith of SATA I. I mean how many laptop hard drives that you know of have media transfer rates of over 150MB/s?

sata 6 one is cheaper though. Might as well....
I have a 500gb black sata 3 in my laptop. Works just fine however.

Do yourself a favor, get an SSD. Firsthand experience adding them to multiple systems now, huge boost in performance in every case.

I have a Crucial M4 SSD in my laptop and I just got the opportunity to use the same laptop that belongs to someone else. I have Windows 7 on mine for compatibility purposes and theirs has the original Windows 8. It also has the original 500GB hard drive.

It was amazing how much slower that thing was. Every little thing just took longer to do. Boot times obviously. But even little stuff like hitting the Open File button on a program, or saving a file. Or, whats really common in Windows 8, is using the Search function.

Back