Western Digital 250GB Internal Hard Drive $79.99 After MIR

quasimodem said:
How So?

CCity - Save $30-$40 on select Western Digital Hard Drives! 3/20-3/26
Western Digital - Save $60 on Hard Drive (WD2500JBRTL)! 3/20-3/26

unless my calander stopped today is 3/24 leaving me 2 more days to get my rebate in.

QM
My excuse? I thought that container beside my cereal contained sugar. Excuse me while I chase the jade dragon around the room again.

rodsfree said:
OK guys I'm done!

Go here: http://www.storagereview.com/php/benchmark/bench_sort.php

In StorageReview.com's highend benchmark there are 3 ATA 100 drives that are in the top 30. The rest are ALL SCSI or SATA's. 2 of those 3 are Western Digital's JB high end line. The ones with the 3 year warrenty.

The western digital JB's with the 3 year warranty are the exact same as the JBRTL drives with 1 year warranty. They are just the OEM versions of them.

I believe SATA is faster than PATA. Apparently StorageReview's benchmark does also.
I think its quite obvious that you're right there, you just seem to overexaggerate how much faster they are. 7200rpm drives don't have anywhere near the speed to fill up the SATA 150MB/S transfer rate. Hell in most cases not even 100MB/S. Any recent drive above 7200rpms should definitely be SATA or SCSI.... and thats exactly the way it is. I'm not saying its stupid to get SATA over PATA on 7200rpm drives.... I'm just saying that when there is a [H]ot deal like this, it doesn't matter that much. And if it does to you, then buy a PATA to SATA converter (I have one and it works great).

sKiDmArK said:
I think its quite obvious that you're right there, you just seem to overexaggerate how much faster they are.

Compare them based on percent increase and they are more impressive.
Plus I'm an ex drag racer... .001sec means alot to me.

. I'm not saying its stupid to get SATA over PATA on 7200rpm drives.... I'm just saying that when there is a [H]ot deal like this, it doesn't matter that much.

I think that was one of my points at the start of the thread. Hell I started the thread. :D

The only reason that I didn't buy one of these is that I didn't have the spare coinage. Hell I was walking around CC with it in my hand. And adulthood interveined, bummer.

Plus, I'd perfer to get SATA's due mainly for future compatibility reasons. Not speed.

If I had the money I'd have gotten 6 of them from Sam's Club for the $129 and built a Tbyte raid5 server for movies and such. But no dough :( . I'm waiting for the future price drops on the bigger drives and the raid5 cards have to come down too...right?

PS - for those that want to know - You lead a pig by whacking him good and hard on the snout, just to get his attention. He'll then follow wherever you go. If his attention strays then whack him again. And he'll follow again.

PPS - This has been SUCH fun!!!

Zero_Distortion said:
I have a letter fro circuit city corperate that says they DO price match sam's club, so if a circuit city manager gives me shit I slap it on the table and go take that bitch! I also have the # to a CC rep and extention incase he wont call corperate to confirm I do it for him on my cell. He doesnt want to be proved wrong so he gives in. 250gb drive for about $25 thats 10 cents a gig !

YGPM with me wanting a copy or scan of that letter.

rodsfree said:
Compare them based on percent increase and they are more impressive.
Plus I'm an ex drag racer... .001sec means alot to me.

True. But its not that smart to base an opinion off of one review that was made 2 years ago. Different mobo chipsets and controller cards can sometimes make a hefty difference. I've seen sythnthetic benches where SATA 7200 drives have beaten raptors in some cases by A LOT (I'll look around for the review later). Point I'm trying to make is that there really aren't that many benchmarks that give a good perspective of real world performance on hard drivers... take most of them with a grain of salt. Anyways, reliabilty is key with me not a few MB/S.

I think that was one of my points at the start of the thread. Hell I started the thread. :D

The only reason that I didn't buy one of these is that I didn't have the spare coinage. Hell I was walking around CC with it in my hand. And adulthood interveined, bummer.

Plus, I'd perfer to get SATA's due mainly for future compatibility reasons. Not speed.

PPS - This has been SUCH fun!!!

heh agreed. I still prefer SATA because I have 10 ports between my 2 main computers.... only 2 are being used. But I guess it was somewhat of a misunderstanding... I mean I didn't even realize you started the thread. :eek:

sKiDmArK said:
7200rpm drives don't have anywhere near the speed to fill up the SATA 150MB/S transfer rate. Hell in most cases not even 100MB/S. Any recent drive above 7200rpms should definitely be SATA or SCSI....

Quoted cus its true.

Just like I said back on page 2:

Magic H8 Ball said:
Bottom line: unless you are running 10,000 rpm drives, SATA / UATA does not matter.

Just so everyone know.
I went to 2 CC's. Not a single one would PM. So I went to OM had the PM then went back to CC and had them PM to OD. Tomorrow I plan on returning the HD from OD. If anyone needs a copy of the invoice, PM me and I can fax it to you...sorry no scanner.

rodsfree, I almost forgot about this thread, but let me make this VERY VERY clear to you.

Some SATA drives will be faster then some PATA drives.
Some PATA drives will be faster then some SATA drives.

SATA drives that are based on PATA drives will NOT be faster then the original PATA drive.
Reason: A bridge controller only HURTS performance, even marginally.

The initial review you linked to does in fact change two variables, as was previously noted:
PATA drive + PATA controller
vs
SATA drive + SATA controller

SATA drives WILL EVENTUALLY be faster due to NCQ, and the 150mbps bandwidth cap.

However, a bridged PATA drive will NOT be faster then the same version using SATA.

You state that ATA133 is useless. Some maxtor drives do burst above the 100MBPS limit of ATA100. Another possible 17MBps burst bandwidth when nearly every drive can't even fill the bandwidth? Not a tangible increase in speed.

Sure, everyone likes to look at the WD Raptor and say its a great drive and praise it's SATA interface. Just remember, even the Raptor is a bridged PATA drive.

Case closed.

[H]'er said:
Just so everyone know.
I went to 2 CC's. Not a single one would PM. So I went to OM had the PM then went back to CC and had them PM to OD. Tomorrow I plan on returning the HD from OD. If anyone needs a copy of the invoice, PM me and I can fax it to you...sorry no scanner.
Tell me exactly how you went about it step by step and what words were excahnged, I would also like a fax out of the receipt if possible, (tell me your in NY) I have yet to go pricematch my stuff Im waiting until after the rebate is over (managers who see a rebate form print up after the receipt usually turn down the pricematch) I will try my way first along with the letter.

Magic H8 Ball said:
A RAID0 setup (with two disks) is TWICE as likely to suffer a drive failure.

WRONG.

You are twice as likely to suffer DATA LOSS, *NOT* drive failure.

v3rt1g0 said:
WRONG.

You are twice as likely to suffer DATA LOSS, *NOT* drive failure.

Actually, he is absolutely right.

The RAID ARRAY IS twice as likely to suffer A drive failure, since the RAID array encompasses both drives, and therefore inherits the doubled rate that he mentioned.

Oh, and snagged two to go into my file server as well. thanks. Now I just need reccomendations for a good expandable RAID5 card. :confused:

Zero_Distortion said:
Tell me exactly how you went about it step by step and what words were excahnged, I would also like a fax out of the receipt if possible, (tell me your in NY) I have yet to go pricematch my stuff Im waiting until after the rebate is over (managers who see a rebate form print up after the receipt usually turn down the pricematch) I will try my way first along with the letter.

I went to OD and they PM'ed the SamsClub. I took that ticket to CC and asked them to PM OD...they did and that was that.

It doesn't matter where I am...I will fax it anywhere...what's your fax number?

Back