Western Digital 20 TB External HDD

FenFox

Limp Gawd
I need a large external HDD solution.

Do you guys think this is a good solution for my backup/media playback needs or would you recommend something else? I'd prefer not to have multiple 8TB external drives.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ...549&cm_re=20TB_My_Book-_-22-232-549-_-Product

Also, I know this comes pre-configured in RAID 0, but I'm wondering if I can use all 20 TB in a a non-RAID 0 configuration.
I don't like the idea of both drives failing if one drive dies.

People like to react like that to anything RAID0 because of misconceptions. Having a backup, even if it's on a medium that utilizes RAID0 is exponentially better than not having a backup at all. To answer your questions, there are arguably better solutions (4 drive NAS with 8TB drives maybe?) and generally external drives like that can only be set up as RAID0 or RAID1.

People like to react like that to anything RAID0 because of misconceptions. Having a backup, even if it's on a medium that utilizes RAID0 is exponentially better than not having a backup at all. To answer your questions, there are arguably better solutions (4 drive NAS with 8TB drives maybe?) and generally external drives like that can only be set up as RAID0 or RAID1.

I'll have most of the files backed up to other externals. So even if the 2x 10TB RAID0 configuration dies, I should be ok, but I'd still prefer to not have both drives fail.
The WD external I linked can be set up as: RAID0, RAID1 and JBOD. I haven't yet found a good explanation of JBOD. With JBOD can I access both drives individually and if one fails they both don't fail?

I've considered NAS options, but with the amount of storage and performance I'll require, I'd rather not go with a NAS. It would be more expensive than the 20TB external.

Also, I know this comes pre-configured in RAID 0, but I'm wondering if I can use all 20 TB in a a non-RAID 0 configuration.

It's RAID 0 because that how 2 x 10TB becomes 20 TB. If you thing of the things as a single "unit" / drive, I see no problems with this. With that said, when just one drive starts to go out (bad sectors), unlike with a non-RAID0 scenario, pulling what data you can off will be more difficult (very difficult) if not impossible.

Bigger the disks...bigger the tears.

The best rule in life is never amass much personal data. Folks really are placing huge anchor chains of data round their necks.

95% of that 'precious' data is junk anyway. I get customers bringing me 4TB+ drives to data recover. They tell me it's all really important. If ripped episodes of TV shows, movies and all manner of bitrate/formats of music are that important then...wow people have low expectations in life.

Now ready for the "Hey fucknuts my 20TB anime/selfie collection will save mankind one day!" type replies. :D

JBOD is single disks, if one disk breaks it won't affect the other.

RAID-0 is striping, if one disk breaks you lose everything.

RAID-1 is mirroring, if one disk breaks you don't lose anything, but you only get 10TB.

So if you need the 20TB, use JBOD and backup the important stuff.

Bigger the disks...bigger the tears.

The best rule in life is never amass much personal data. Folks really are placing huge anchor chains of data round their necks.

95% of that 'precious' data is junk anyway. I get customers bringing me 4TB+ drives to data recover. They tell me it's all really important. If ripped episodes of TV shows, movies and all manner of bitrate/formats of music are that important then...wow people have low expectations in life.

Now ready for the "Hey fucknuts my 20TB anime/selfie collection will save mankind one day!" type replies. :D

Ya dude, when society collapses, you'll wish you had a bunch of crappy 480p rips of analog Simpsons broadcasts from the 90's that you got off Napster..... stored in offline cold storage so the EMPs don't get of course (duh)

JBOD is single disks, if one disk breaks it won't affect the other.

RAID-0 is striping, if one disk breaks you lose everything.

RAID-1 is mirroring, if one disk breaks you don't lose anything, but you only get 10TB.

So if you need the 20TB, use JBOD and backup the important stuff.

Ok great, so if this 20 TB external set-up supports JBOD that means I can use both 10 TB drives independently and if one fails I'll still have the other one? I wonder why it comes pre-configured in RAID0 then.

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produ...549&cm_re=20TB_My_Book-_-22-232-549-_-Product

Do you guys think this is a good solution for my backup/media playback needs or would you recommend something else? I'd prefer not to have multiple 8TB external drives.

For the money, I would go with a QNAP or Synology. I use a Synology 1515+ myself, and you can do so much more than that WD box. Plus you can put in mix sizes and still have a raid. I also back it up to CrashPlan Pro/Small Business to protect my data (unlimited data for $10 a month).

Ya dude, when society collapses, you'll wish you had a bunch of crappy 480p rips of analog Simpsons broadcasts from the 90's that you got off Napster..... stored in offline cold storage so the EMPs don't get of course (duh)

Nah I'll have hundreds of tins of beans and corned beef instead.

Just hope I remembered the can opener though! :D

For the same price you can buy a 4 drive external bay slightly larger than that unit and 4 8TB drives.

For the money, I would go with a QNAP or Synology. I use a Synology 1515+ myself, and you can do so much more than that WD box. Plus you can put in mix sizes and still have a raid. I also back it up to CrashPlan Pro/Small Business to protect my data (unlimited data for $10 a month).

Years ago I really wanted to buy a NAS but when I looked into it further I felt very disappointed with what I saw and a NAS seems overly complicated for my needs. I'm essentially just using the external 20TB as storage for my media files that I'll play back in Kodi (HTPC). I don't need to be streaming files to other people and I won't be accessing any of the files when I'm away from home.
Maybe I just don't understand NAS well enough, but I haven't been impressed with what I've seen. Sluggish specs and poor high definition streaming in a number of different NAS solutions I've looked at. And at the time the cost was over 1K for what I needed to make things work. Am I able to directly plug the NAS into my computer and access the files via Kodi---the same way I could with the 20TB external---or do I need to stream with it over my network? I really just prefer simplicity (less shit to break and troubleshoot). With an external I plug it in and it either works or it doesn't. Doesn't get more simple than that.

For the same price you can buy a 4 drive external bay slightly larger than that unit and 4 8TB drives.

Link?

Back