Westell 327W Router won't connect to Internet after reset.

DigitalMP

Gawd
So I visited my buddy to "help" him secure his wireless router. When I arrived, his XP Desktop was connected successfully via ethernet, and his Toshiba Vista laptop was connected via wireless, but could also connect via ethernet.

From the laptop, I tapped into the router, changed the SSID, changed the router's username/password, and enabled WPA encryption.

From that point on, I could see both the new SSID and the old default SSID in the list of available networks. I could connect to the router via the new SSID, but not the old (as expected). However, the connection was specified as "Local Only", and I could not connect to the web. I DID have a 192.168.x.x IP address, and still cannot figure out what the issue is.

I reset the router a few times, and the power, DSL, and wireless lights all lit, but the activity light wouldn't flash at all. No ethernet connection from the Desktop, no ethernet or wireless connection from the laptop.

After resetting the router, all of the settings were the defaults. What could be the issue? Why isn't the router allowing external access?

Anyone? All I did was perform some basic wireless security measures, and then reset & reboot the router a couple times.

Those 327's are HORRIBLE. I replace them as soon as I come across them because it is all in the firmware.

Ethernet connections always seem to work fine but wireless and configuration changes are always really flakey.

I have had the firmware crap out on me on multiple occassions while trying to change settings in the configuration.

Go for a simple Westell DSL modem and just bridge a nice Wireless Router to the thing.

I'm sure it's keeping you all up at night to find out how I tripped over myself. When you reset a Verizon DSL modem (it may be just those with the router combined), you have to "re-activate" your Verizon DSL by authenticating, and the method is different depending on the modem. The thing is, I had done this before, and forgot since then, so I was running in circles doing basic troubleshooting. But the fact that I had IPs let me know it was in the router.

One more little twist though -- when I resolved the issue, both machines connected via Ethernet, but the laptop was having issues connecting via wireless. In the list of wireless networks, the new custom SSID was shown, but it said that "The settings on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network".

I had to go into Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center, and then Manage Wireless Networks. THIS list showed the new and old SSIDs, both unsecured, even though I had secured the new SSID. I had to remove them both, then attempt to connect to the new SSID, and then success.

Thanks for your responses.

Back