• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

were to buy variable resistors?

darkflames

Gawd
Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
738
I am looking to vmod my 8800GTX. Does anyone know of any B&M stores that would sell them? I tried radioshack and all I could find were just regular resistors.
 
I'm sure you're likely to find a much wider, cheaper selection online. There are very few B&M stores left that sell niche electrical components.

I wish you luck in your search though.
 
Thanks,
yeah it seems pretty hard to find them in stores, so maybe ill purchase them later tomorrow.
 
Radioshack should carry variable resistors. They are called potentiometers or trimmer pots. They more than likely won't be with the regular resistors. I know I've purchased them there. Search radioshack's website for the one you are looking for and see if it says it is available in stores. If you still can't find what you are looking for, online stores such as MCM mentioned above,Digikey, or Mouser are all good places.
 
Yup. ^ http://www.digikey.com/

They have just about everything. The downside is you have to know pretty much exactly what you need. Browsing isn't so customer friendly. Although they sometimes have pics.
 
DigiKey and Mouser are the two standard online stores for this kind of thing in small quantities, though if you just need a couple things the shipping makes it expensive. eBay might be a more economical bet for something simple like this.

Though if you live in a reasonably large city, there's almost certainly an electronics components store nearby. I know of at least 5 in my metro area of ~2 million, and there are probably a few more. I think Fry's down there in the US also sells the basics like this, and Radio Shack should definitely have them too.
 
Yup. ^ http://www.digikey.com/

They have just about everything. The downside is you have to know pretty much exactly what you need. Browsing isn't so customer friendly. Although they sometimes have pics.

That's why it's handy to have one of their phonebook-sized catalogs when you need to find something. Sometimes, dead tree versions work better :)
 
Radioshack should carry variable resistors. They are called potentiometers or trimmer pots. They more than likely won't be with the regular resistors. I know I've purchased them there. Search radioshack's website for the one you are looking for and see if it says it is available in stores. If you still can't find what you are looking for, online stores such as MCM mentioned above,Digikey, or Mouser are all good places.

This.

Although note that there are usually varieties of Radio Shacks in cities. They have some shops that are pretty much strictly cell-phone-like-equipment. Phones, phone accessories, etc. Looks more like a Verizon store than an electronics supplier. THOSE stores might not have what you want, but there should be one somewhere in your area that does more of the electrical components, and they should have what you need (again, might be better to refer to them as 'potentiometers').
 
Back
Top