Went Wi-Fi router, connection slow as crap now

TheGooch69

Gawd
I bought a Linksys wi-fi router last week, not sure of the exact model but it's one of the cheaper ones I believe. I have my main PC still connected to the internet through hardwire, only my PS3 is using the WiFi.

For some reason, my internet connection has been extremely slow shortly after installing the router. Espcially when I am downloading something else. It could be as simple as a song off of Napster and the download speed is 5.56k and everything else downloads as if I am running a 56k modem. If I stop downloading something, FireFox will load up pages somewhat faster again, but it's still a bit slower than when I was using a regular linksys router.

What's wrong here? Are there some settings in Vista64x that I can tweak to get my internet connection back to it's original speed?

Did you enable any security on your wireless? Do you have any neighbors close by?

The only security I enabled is needing a password to connect to my network. I live in the suburbs and I doubt any neighbor near by would be able to leech off me. My computer and PS3 are the only devices being read anyhow.

I decided to disconnect my router completely and just run off of my cable modem, and my connection has drastically improved.

With the router, downloading from filefront was at 50.0k/s
Without the router, 1.5mb/s

WTF? Are all wi-fi routers like this?

What is the make and model of this router you purchased?

No all routers are not like that. It may be some kind of configuration problem of some kind.

One thing you could try is to clone the MAC address of your PC to the router. I have seen some ISP's in the past throttle connections with routers on them because they assume your going to have multiple PC's connected.

For example at home with Cox if I don't clone one of my PC's MAC addresses my connection speed will literally be cut in half.

Its a conspiracy I tell you!

Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Router.

What you suggested is way over my head, no idea how to do that. Have a step by step guide of some sort?

Can you explain how to do that? I am not very savy when it comes to configuring networks with Vista.

TheGooch69,

My first 802.11G router was crap when it was "newer" in 2003. It eventually got better with many firmware updates and they ended up coming out with better hardware revisions after finally finalizing the standard.

The Linksys WRT54G's are good proven solid routers now, BUT! They keep coming out with new hardware revisions. These new hardware revisions are coming out with less ram and slower processors.

If you look on the bottom of your router it will tell your hardware revision. I would first go to the Linksys website and try to update firmware from them. If your speed is still slow go to www.dd-wrt.com and see if your hardware revision is supported. Last time I checked the V6 hardware revisions were the last supported.

DDWRT is a third party AWESOME firmware for linksys routers. My speed increased and my management is much better with lots of traffic. You can keep track of bandwidth usage with the latest revisions as well. See if your PS3 is hogging it or something.

www.dd-wrt.com

TheGooch69,

My first 802.11G router was crap when it was "newer" in 2003. It eventually got better with many firmware updates and they ended up coming out with better hardware revisions after finally finalizing the standard.

The Linksys WRT54G's are good proven solid routers now, BUT! They keep coming out with new hardware revisions. These new hardware revisions are coming out with less ram and slower processors.

If you look on the bottom of your router it will tell your hardware revision. I would first go to the Linksys website and try to update firmware from them. If your speed is still slow go to www.dd-wrt.com and see if your hardware revision is supported. Last time I checked the V6 hardware revisions were the last supported.

DDWRT is a third party AWESOME firmware for linksys routers. My speed increased and my management is much better with lots of traffic. You can keep track of bandwidth usage with the latest revisions as well. See if your PS3 is hogging it or something.

www.dd-wrt.com

Thank you for the info! I will look into this and see what happens.

By the way, I have the 8.2v of the model.

Back