Went from 1 to 4 HDDs ...freezing?

Episode666

n00b
I just went from 1 HDD to 4 HHDs, and I'm running into some problems.

My first drive holds all my system files, the other 3 are all storage. Occasionaly when I try to load a game or open a folder that's on one of my storage drives, the HDD light on my case goes solid red, and the whole comp slows down. A few seconds later, COMPLETELY FROZEN!

I've never used multiple HDDs before so what do you think is going on here?

I have 2 running on the Primary IDE, and the other 2 running on the secondary IDE.

PSU does not have enough juice?
Aside: Running 2 drives on a single IDE channel is likely not the best performing solution.

I thought about power, actually. I do only have a 420w PSU.

I guess I can unplug a blower fan that I don't really need...

Episode666 said:
I thought about power, actually. I do only have a 420w PSU.

I guess I can unplug a blower fan that I don't really need...

fans dont use much power (about 3 watts). unplug all the drives (about 25 watts each) and add one at a time as you test. you also may not have enough amperage too. what kind os PSU do u have?

I unplugged one of my drives and it still freezes just as fast...

:( :confused:

UPDATE:
I tried uplugging an additional drive, bringing me down to 2. This didn't work either. The method I was using to test for freezing was simply playing music in Media Player. Just for the hell of it, I downloaded Winamp and started playing it from there.

It hasn't frozen yet.:D

Episode666 said:
I unplugged one of my drives and it still freezes just as fast...

:( :confused:

UPDATE:
I tried uplugging an additional drive, bringing me down to 2. This didn't work either. The method I was using to test for freezing was simply playing music in Media Player. Just for the hell of it, I downloaded Winamp and started playing it from there.

It hasn't frozen yet.:D

the codec or player pluggin may be the problem. i had lock ups for 9 months until i cleared all pluggins and started fresh with MP.

now it runs fine.

Back