Well, this is just great....

digital_exhaust

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2008
Hummm... okay.

So, as some of you may have read in a thread I had up a while back, I killed my main boxen a few weeks ago, so I had to convert my dedicated GPU folder into my main boxen. Problem was, the parts wouldn't fit into my old case, and the other cases I have are either missing parts or too small as well.....

So, being the impatient moron that I am, I jumped in my truck and headed over to BB to pick up a new case. Browsed around at the pathetic selection of cases they had, and wound up going home with an Antec 900 in the back seat. Not exactly the type of case I'm used to, but as you may know, this thing has a HUGE fan on the top of the case, and naturally, cooling is a big issue.

So anyhow, I get home, stuff all my shit into the 900, format and install Windows and all was good. Until today, anyhow.

Woke up this morning, grabbed a cup of coffee and sat down to check my stats and check in on the [H]orde. Then I noticed it. That big ass fan on the top of this Darth Vader looking case I have here has decided to just crap out and die.

Yay for me.

Where in the hell am I going to find a suitable replacement? With the GPU and standard CPU client crunching away things are getting pretty toasty in here........

Of course, winter is on the way... and over the last few days we here in Denver got a little taste of fall... maybe I should just wait until spring and leave the furnace off for the winter...

Any ideas? I'd rather just replace the fan, I don't really want to have to go through transplanting everything again. I spent a couple of hours getting all my wires tucked away all neat-like and stuff, I'm a real stickler when it comes to wire management ya know;)

Fold On guys... and beers and tamales!!!!

Call Antec and explain or no tamales for them ?

I called BB, and as I'm sure you can imagine... they were no help.

And the problem is, I only paid $80 for the damn thing, there is no way I'm paying more than half of that for a fan.... that's insane.

I think maybe Xil is on to something... I will threaten them... gimme a fan or I will eat all of their tamales:D

Not a bad idea... and really, it's not like a little duct tape ghetto mod is going to make this thing any uglier than it already is:p

Call up antec. They send people entire new fronts for their p180s all the time when the stupid plastic pieces for them break.

I have no personal experience but from what I have heard Antec is pretty awesome when it comes to things like that. I have heard of people calling because the UPS guy dented the front door of their P182 and a couple days later they would have the whole front half of a new case on their front doorstep with a t-shirt as an apology.

I envy you for your chance to maybe get some free swag from Antec. I like their cases...maybe not the 900....;)

Thanks guys... I will give them a call and see what they say. Hopefully they can do something about this.... like I said, I really don't want to transplant my gear again right now.....

We'll see, I'll let you guys know what happens.....

I've got two boxen in Antec 900 cases, no problems with the fans, had them quite a while.

I purchased the Antec 900s for function, not looks... kinda like smart guys do when dating ;) And I have to say the 900s are very good at removing heat.

Wow, I have never had a problem with my 900 and now I am paranoid about that damn fan :D

Just like you AC, I'm gettin' a little on the "paranoid" side myself about my faithful Antec 900 "gimongus" top fan (only kiddin') :rolleyes:

Eekers city :eek: I've been moddin', proddin' and bangin' on a Antec 900 case for a while now without a hitch. I'll admit the Antec 900 is kinda' like a Harley, you either like the way they look or hate the way they look. Myself, I like the way they look. I read somewhere that Antec had a new case out, a 1200, I think. :confused: :D

I modded the HD cage to install a MCR220 rad internally (in front behind the screen deals) and then decided I wanted it mounted externally (with long tubes so I could position the rad where I wanted) I had to re mod it back to stock (thank God for dremels, niblers, hole saws, drills, etc). ATM it has a Q6600 and a PNY 8800GT Folding and WCGing 24/7. I haven't had the first problem with it, the case always stays cool. (kinda' a biatch to WC' though). It's on about it's 3rd mobo (AW9D-MAX, ASUS P5B, GA-31M-S2L) and it's 2nd CPU (Q6600, E6600, inbetween just "jazzin' " around with a E6420, E6400, E6300)

Please post where you get a replacement for the giant top fan just in case I need one. As redundant as it may sound when I was into AC'ing I had a spare fan for my Zalman CNPS9700's and a bunch of 120mm fans for my Tuniq Tower and some smaller chipset fans (40mm, 30mm, etc)

Folding and WCGing for the CURE

Quit knockin' on Antec!!! I've been a firm believer in their power supplies for years! I've NEVER had one go bad so far *knocks on fake wood desk*. I still have a 300 Watt Antec P/S that is about 7 years old and it still works perfectly. It even used to power a 72watt peltier along with my PC at the time. It was in my mom's PC until her upgrade where I deemed it too close to the max rating of the P/S to run a 5200 X2 AMD & a 9600 GSO at 100% all the time. I used a Corsair Power Supply. It's mainly for the warranty. If they had a 5 year on the Antecs I'd buy them.

Just call them. Have them give you a rma for a new fan. I know its a pain. And lord knows I hate there boxen. But it do have a lot of there fans running 24/7 no issues. So you got a ugly steel case with good over all air flow and a bad fan.

I bet they make it right.

I have the second revision of the 900 and love it. I have everything set on low, and i can't it is well damn near silent.

I have a P182SE, (cause it looks like chrome :p ) and an Antec 1200.
Both doing well. Sorry to hear about that fan dying right after you got the case.
Conact Antec as suggested for a replacement. The out the door price you paid shouldn't be a concern to Antec on a new case.

Agre with the many points. I looked at the 900, but it kinda reminded me of a case a youngster would buy (I'm a little older and didn't want to look like I was trying to be tooooo young again). I went with a Silverstone, but I'm becoming pretty fond of the Coolermasters.

Give Antec a call and chew them a new one. Since others have experienced this in the past, it is likely they are keeping a stockpile of the big fans to replace those that died

Yep yep yep.. agreed again.

I will call Antec on Monday and see what they have to say

Oh well.... hopefully Antec will fix the problem.... I be sure and let you guys know...

Fold On!!

Call up antec. They send people entire new fronts for their p180s all the time when the stupid plastic pieces for them break.

This was my experience with Antec. I also have a 900 awaiting a build. Hopefully the giant fan will work!

Back