Well That Sucks....

harsaphes

Supreme [H]ardness
Two weeks after the warranty goes out on my Apple 30 inch display, the entire bottom left quadrant goes dark, with a 3inch wide dark band extending from left mid section to almost the right side. Sucks, big time.

I sometimes think there is a tag on all electronics saying "Please initiate self destruct sequence on date of purchase."

If you didn't buy an extended warranty or AppleCare on that thing, then same on you. However, since we don't know that you did, you must have had it for a long time and my apologies to you.

Definitely call them!!!! If it's been a month, it's worth calling but probably would be too long at that point.

Considering you spent $2k+ on a display, if it's really been only 2 weeks they should want to make you happy - and not jerk you around over only 2 weeks. If they try to hassle you, I'd definitely suggest telling them if they're going to be that way about it you'll buy future displays elsewhere (Dell, Samsung, etc) - and pay less while getting a longer warranty.

While I've found Apple's displays to be very nice and have some nice features (built-in FW hub), I've found them to be priced too high and have too short a warranty.

Man, I recommend doing something about this, it's ridiculous that you spent 2 grand on a monitor and it's only 2 weeks out of warranty, and they won't fix it

harsaphes said:
well they basicly said to bad, you have to pay.
Ask to speak to their "supervisor" (which will be a Tier 2 agent). The first person you talk to (Tier 1) do NOT have the ability to do any kind of overrides on warranties without permissions from Tier 2. Tier 1 will say you have to pay because they can't do anything else. You have a better shot talking with someone at Tier 2 as they have the authority to do this.

If that doesn't work, I'd suggest talking to their customer relations department (ask them to transfer you). Typically, they'll make exceptions A LOT MORE than Tier 2 but they are not technical so don't confuse them and start talking about pixels and whatnot. If they grant you an exception, they'll then transfer you to Tier 2 who will want to do troubleshooting first and then let you send it in.

TheLordsServant said:
Man, I recommend doing something about this, it's ridiculous that you spent 2 grand on a monitor and it's only 2 weeks out of warranty, and they won't fix it

the warranty is it. thats why they sell Applecare.

that being said, I know for a fact that they can make exceptions up to 3 weeks after the warranty expires. it may even be 25 days.

wow, that sucks.
I'd definitely give them a call and see what happens, its worth a shot.
Let us know what happens..........

Did you purchase it on a credit card like AMEX, Visa or Mastercard?

They generally add extended warranty coverage for purchases made with their cards.

just an update here, took the monitor into the apple store, and they honored the warranty!..nice

while you had it at the Apple store you should have asked if you could pick up AppleCare to take care of any issues in the future. ;)

Back