Well N Sucks (Suggest me a router & NIC)

onetwenty8k

2[H]4U
I recently bought a WRT150N router and hate it. I finally got it to connect and have a good transmission rate, 270mbps constant with 5 bars but speedtest gives me about 600kbps on download and I have a 20mbit line. On my neighbors wireless (I have permission), they have a WRT54G and I get the normal 20mbit on speedtest, no loss in speed. I have been on tech support and forums and no suggestion has helped. So I am going back to G.

I have $130 to spend on router and PCI NIC (or USB if it's really good). Should I just go with the WRT54GL? It got great reviews on NewEgg and won the award of the month 9 times. What about a NIC? Currently I am using the WMP300N but I have to send that back with the router because it was a combo; should I just get this NIC again?

Go!

Have you tried connecting directly to the modem? At this point, it is quite possible that the problem is your connection and not the router.

Oh yes, many times. Connected directly to the modem and connected wired through the router, 20mbit down, 1.5mbit up.

Connected via ethernet to the router and you recieve full speeds, too?
What kind of transfer rates are you getting between computers on your network?

As far as recommendations - DLink's newer gigabit routers are supposed to be pretty slick, although I have no first hand experience with them. Update the firmware on the router and the drivers for the card if you haven't already.

Firmware is the only one available. I haven't tried transferring across the network because I don't do that. To your first question, yes.

Yes, I tried the default and other settings. Please, stop trying to fix it, I just want a G router, suggestions?

Connected via ethernet to the router and you recieve full speeds, too?
What kind of transfer rates are you getting between computers on your network?

As far as recommendations - DLink's newer gigabit routers are supposed to be pretty slick, although I have no first hand experience with them. Update the firmware on the router and the drivers for the card if you haven't already.

I have 2 D-Link routers, and they are great... I have the DGL-4100 and DGL-4300.....

Please, stop trying to fix it, I just want a G router, suggestions?

Why not just exchange it? Perhaps a bad router? Going back to G is a step backwards, as your problem has nothing to do with the 'N' spec, but something else. So, it doesn't quite make sense why you assume going to 'G' will fix your problem when it's either a router problem, or a connection problem.

In any case, if you want to get a router, I'd suggest D-Link. Just walk into any store, and grab the first 'G' router you see. And then grab the first PCI adaptor you see.

The WRT54GL is a great router. I threw DD-WRT on it as soon as I got it, and it's been running slick ever since. Full speed ahead! I've heard of people having issues with Torrents and such, but I've never had a single issue with this router. This is my 5th WRT54G (L) router with DD-WRT on it.

I wouldn't mind a new 802.11N router, but I want a different firmware.

Honestly, I don't need the extra computer to computer speed. I just want to have my wired internet speed and as I said, my friends WRT54G router does that and as long as that satisfies my need, I have no need to upgrade. This "upgrade" has been nothing but a nightmare. Might as well go with something that works.

Don't get so wound, don't "take offense" at my want to get rid of my N router. The only reason I want to go back to a WRT54GL is because my neighbor has one and it's performed like a wired connection and simply enough, whether or not my router is defective, I want something that works.

The WRT54GL is a great router. I threw DD-WRT on it as soon as I got it, and it's been running slick ever since. Full speed ahead! I've heard of people having issues with Torrents and such, but I've never had a single issue with this router. This is my 5th WRT54G (L) router with DD-WRT on it.

I wouldn't mind a new 802.11N router, but I want a different firmware.

The WRT54G blows if it is a later model, nonlinux OS, but like yours with Linux, are always great routers....

So should I get the WRT54GL?

For an easy to use, easily to update, stable router that "just works": Yes. Low cost, can update to DD-WRT, Tomato, or other third party firmware, stable, and works great.

I love mine. It seems to take anything I throw at it. Right now, 802.11G works great in my network. I would LIKE to have N speeds at times, but G works just fine with no hassle.

Yes, I tried the default and other settings. Please, stop trying to fix it, I just want a G router, suggestions?

I'd want to fix it....the MIMO/N routers blow the doors off of old G routers. You're like saying.."My Pentium 4 HT sucks..help me get my Pentium 3 running again" (or Celeron300a if you go the wrt54g route)

I haven't had problems with the wrt300 models....I don't recall setting up a 150...but wired speed should be the same.

What are you plugging the wrt150 into? Is it another router that you think is just a modem? If so..possible IP conflicts.

I'd keep the N router and fix the problem...buying another router is just plain lazy.

If you end up with the WRT54GL, I would suggest the Tomato firmware over DD-WRT, as it's much easier to use with similar performance benefits.

You know guys, he already said he doesn't use the extra bandwidth of the N router to transfer files. I'd buy a Linksys WRT54(insert letter of the alphabet here) router and install a custom firmware on it. You will get more bang for your buck that way. The older WRT54G and WRT54GS routers are great, but the newer ones don't flash easily. Or you can grab the WRT54GL and flash that. N is great for througout and a better area of coverage, but why buy something you don't even need?

It's not that n routers suck, its Linksys N routers, I dont recommend purchasing them.

It's not that n routers suck, its Linksys N routers, I dont recommend purchasing them.

What specific issues have you had with them/which models? My uncle seems content with his 150N, but I haven't upgraded my own G network yet.

wrt300n, 2 of them, all failed, drops to 1.0 mbps or unstable connection, frequently drops

eventually just stopped working altogether, couldnt even connect to the wireless network

He already bought the N router, and he's contemplating returning it for a G model. That's already halfway under the definition of buying something "you don't need."

Actually no, it was a combo deal that NewEgg had and it was about 20 dollars more than buying a G router and NIC so I thought, might as well go with the newer technology that isn't even in its final version yet. I don't need the computer to computer transfer speeds so what's the difference for me? I might as well get something that I know will work and will work well. Honestly, the area that it is covering is not at all big and I have another cable modem for the basement if I decide to play Xbox live (it's an older one but it works for what xbox needs). Again, I want something that I know will work. Here is what I've decided on.

Router - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190 (Which 3rd party firmware will give the best performance boost?)

NIC - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833158017

A little something extra - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817111708

I don't know about Linksys but my D-Link DIR-615 can be set to work in G only or N only or both. I have it set to G only at the moment because I connect with a D-Link WUA-1340 which is G. Might be worth a try running it at G only as a test. You might get lucky and get the speeds you want and maybe save a few bucks on new gear.

I'm partial to DD-WRT, but only because I've used it. People say Tomato is easier to use. Haven't had the chance, so I can't comment much. Take a look at their respective websites and see which one you fancy. They are both great in terms of performance I'm sure.

I too am looking for a router and see that the D-Link DIR-655 is good, but I don't really need gigabit LAN, so how would the DIR-625 be? It looks the same as the 655 but with only 10/100 speeds for wired.

I too am looking for a router and see that the D-Link DIR-655 is good, but I don't really need gigabit LAN, so how would the DIR-625 be? It looks the same as the 655 but with only 10/100 speeds for wired.

I too wish to know, anyone care to comment on the DIR-625? I don't really need anything special (for my parents) but I don't want a crappy router again (my Linksys W54G just took a dump today, only two years of work time).

yes the 655 and the 625 are the same beside the gigabit lan. I just opened a thread here about it yesterday..
The only reason i got the 655 over the 625 is because there was only a $10 difference at the moment, and i future proofed my home network. Seting up was pretty easy, transferring files between hosts (wirelessly) is lightning fast. The only thing i have connected hardwired to it is my 360 thus far.

I love my linux-based linksys G. I see a a lot of ppl reccomending dlink... Have they improved their routers? My girlfriend has a dl-524 and its a real pain to work with. I also have a few freinds with dlinks, not sure of the model, and they dont like them.

You obviously didn't read the rest of the thread, or at least one post up, I bought the D-Link 655.

Back