Well I'm going to give this iOS crap a try...

bastage

Pics of your wife?
I can honestly say that I have NEVER so much as sent a text or made a call on an iPhone. Never used an iPad either. In fact the only apple dev I have spent any time with is a Apple TV (First Gen).

But alas the recent Android phones continue to PISS ME THE FUCK OFF...

Seems like every android phone out has something going for it that I really dont want. Normally it has to do with the size or the camera.

Currently using a G5 that I love, except that its too big. Had an S7 & it was too big & the software sucked ass.. Looking all over & not finding anything that tickled my fancy had me sitting with a phone that I didn't like pocketing (LG G5) after having another device that I didn't like pocketing (Galaxy S7) & before that was the biggest of the 3 that I also didn't like pocketing (LG G4).

So because size is an issue to me (yeah she told me that too) I had been intrigued by the iPhone SE, but not enough so to actually buy one at the 500 dollar cost (64gb model as 16 is for sure too small). But with T-Mobiles current Buy One get One free promo on them I went ahead & bit the bullet & ordered me & my kid each one (64gb for me & 16gb for her).

So now I am sitting here thinking to myself "Fuck I just bought all these USB type C cables & now I gotta buy something else too"..

So anyone who's made the switch in this direction, anything I should be aware of before my devices get shipped.

Make sure you setup both phones to use iCloud for backup. Then you can pretty much throw the phones into a black hole at any time and restore everything exactly the same on the replacement phone.

Also get some tight pants, a scarf, and some fake glasses for when you start trolling for men in Starbucks with that iPhone.

Problem with cloud storage is that the free 5GB is nowhere near enough.

if you buy Lightning cables, only approved ones seem to work now. Anker makes decent stufff.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Nothing to be prepped for iPhones honestly. Everything is pretty fucking smooth. I just had to get used to gestures over a back button.

I guess you could expect better battery life, smoother experience and better app selection.

I use iTunes to do back ups to my server, I'm not paying for the cloud back up but my phone does warn me when I go into the pictures.

I thought the S7 (not the edge) was pretty much the same size as the iPhone? Software seemed fine to me compared to previous gens while playing with my mom's S7 when I got for her, it was plenty fast at least.

S7 is too big? Really? 5.2? The iPhone 6s has a smaller screen and is essentially the same size. The iPhone 6s and 6s Plus are huge compared to Samsung S7 series.

My tip to you: prepare for disappointment.

S7 is too big? Really? 5.2? The iPhone 6s has a smaller screen and is essentially the same size. The iPhone 6s and 6s Plus are huge compared to Samsung S7 series.

My tip to you: prepare for disappointment.

I thought the S7 (not the edge) was pretty much the same size as the iPhone? Software seemed fine to me compared to previous gens while playing with my mom's S7 when I got for her, it was plenty fast at least.

Holy shit did anyone read the OP?!? He is buying the iPhone SE. With a 4 inch screen.

The s7 is a little bigger then an iPhone 6s, but I'm not talking about the 6s. I'm talking about the se which is much smaller.

For comparison Visual Phone Size Comparison

And one of the things I have been looking at with cases for it is to avoid anything with a stupid fucking cutout on the back for the Apple logo. I'll probably go with a spigen neo hybrid like I do for every phone I get. Can't tell it's an I phone from a distance as I'm not all about the hipster culture crap that thinks there the best thing ever.

I really do like small phones though. I don't want to be reminded it's in my pocket.

This on overlay really shows the differences with some of the phones I've had. The smallest was the htc diamond which was my favorite smart phone I've ever had. It had a 2.8" vga screen which was killer at the time. Then is the iPhone SE, then the nexus 5 which was my favorite Android phone. And lastly is the G5 which I have now.
Samsung Galaxy S7 vs Apple iPhone SE - Visual phone size compare

I am using a black Zoogue case for my SE, I've been using it for over 2 years on my 5S.

Holy shit did anyone read the OP?!? He is buying the iPhone SE. With a 4 inch screen.

Yea I did read it. Even the SE isn't THAT much smaller. And the iPhone is just flat out bulkier for what you get at all levels. Ive used them all and it feels like wasted space.

To each their own I guess.

Edit: Look at the size of those fucking bezels on the iPhone. Jesus. Don't get it on principal lol

Yea I did read it. Even the SE isn't THAT much smaller. And the iPhone is just flat out bulkier for what you get at all levels. Ive used them all and it feels like wasted space.

To each their own I guess.

Edit: Look at the size of those fucking bezels on the iPhone. Jesus. Don't get it on principal lol
Holy Fuck Stick Batman... How do you figure its not "THAT much smaller"

We'll do it like in the SFF subforum
Galaxy S7 volume 78297 millimeter3
iPhone SE volume 55135 millimeter3

That makes the s7 about 140% the size of the SE... Thats extremely substantial.. And not everyone is so blind that they need a big screen. If I were to design the SE it would have smaller bezels and probably run a pure android OS, but the fact is that there isnt a decent performing android device thats even close to being comparable in size.

Not that its going to matter as based on above your obviously an S7 fanboy.. Made that apparent when you called the 6s huge compared to the s7 when the 6s is in fact smaller in all dimensions. Samsung Galaxy S7 vs Apple iPhone SE - Visual phone size compare

The big thing for adapting to the iPhone: give yourself time to get used to it. Yeah, there's no hardware back or multitasking buttons, but you don't need them. Yeah, you can't plunk widgets on the home screen -- it's not that big a deal if you're just jumping between apps. Enjoy it for what it is rather than trying to recreate what you knew.

The big thing for adapting to the iPhone: give yourself time to get used to it. Yeah, there's no hardware back or multitasking buttons, but you don't need them. Yeah, you can't plunk widgets on the home screen -- it's not that big a deal if you're just jumping between apps. Enjoy it for what it is rather than trying to recreate what you knew.
Yeah I plan to lock my G5 up in my safe for a couple weeks after I start using the iPhone to see if I can get used to it. Force myself to deal for a bit kinda thing.

I documented my annoyances when I finally switched to the iPhone. But I can tell you that my annoyances with Android was far greater. When you have to root to make the phone work cause you're not getting updates to an 1 year phone because Google screwed up a couple of updates, I decided to go with either Apple or Nexus, or an OEM with update guarantees. So I picked Apple cause that was my cheapest option (TMo deal). I do want a dual sim phone which would likely be Android cause Apple ain't doing it, but my iPhone would like be my daily driver cause apps/games simply run better.

If I were to design the SE it would have smaller bezels and probably run a pure android OS, but the fact is that there isnt a decent performing android device thats even close to being comparable in size.

Google Play Services would drain that small battery, assuming it has to be small in mAh.

But everyone is waiting for the fastest SoC to be paired with pure Android. The 6P does work but the Exynos 7420 kind of won and it is a massive phone.

Holy Fuck Stick Batman... How do you figure its not "THAT much smaller"

We'll do it like in the SFF subforum
Galaxy S7 volume 78297 millimeter3
iPhone SE volume 55135 millimeter3

That makes the s7 about 140% the size of the SE... Thats extremely substantial.. And not everyone is so blind that they need a big screen. If I were to design the SE it would have smaller bezels and probably run a pure android OS, but the fact is that there isnt a decent performing android device thats even close to being comparable in size.

Not that its going to matter as based on above your obviously an S7 fanboy.. Made that apparent when you called the 6s huge compared to the s7 when the 6s is in fact smaller in all dimensions. Samsung Galaxy S7 vs Apple iPhone SE - Visual phone size compare

Fanboy? Dude, I've never owned a Samsung phone in my life. Like I said, the bezels are insane. I bet they are 25%+ of the total size. Maybe even more.

Edit: Easily one third of the phone is bezel lol

The point, to me, is that it's a bit neurotic to obsess over bezel size. More compact bezels do help shrink the size of a phone down relative to its screen, but it's not as if iPhone owners are straining to wrap their hands around their devices, or are having a terrible time putting those devices in their pockets.

As a long time user of Samsung flip then into the S3 Galaxy, S4, and final straw at S5, I love my Apple Iphone 6s Plus. Love playing Galaxy Bowling on my breaks and it always crashed on my S4 and S5. Gingerbread, JellyBean, KitKat, didn't matter which one it kept crashing that app and others. There is a learning curve to the Apple, but once I got it down, its been smooth sailing. I was anything but an Apple fan, but after using the 6 Plus and now the 6s Plus I would have a very hard time going back to anything Droid related. If you are like me and just want simplicity and ease of use, iPhone is the way to go. IMO of course.

If you are like me and just want simplicity and ease of use, iPhone is the way to go. IMO of course.

This is kinda where I am at.. I used to load a new rom every other day.. then eventually I got a nexus & fell in love with stock.. Now though whatever device I get I try to turn it as close to stock as I can & then just leave it alone. So while I dont want the normal price of the iphone or the trendyness that comes with them, I do appreciate the lack of needing to fuck with them.

Another big thing pushing me into trying this out for a while is that I am a Android user & always have been, but I work for a Major Cell provider & knowing how to use iOS should make my job easier.

This is kinda where I am at.. I used to load a new rom every other day.. then eventually I got a nexus & fell in love with stock.. Now though whatever device I get I try to turn it as close to stock as I can & then just leave it alone. So while I dont want the normal price of the iphone or the trendyness that comes with them, I do appreciate the lack of needing to fuck with them.

Another big thing pushing me into trying this out for a while is that I am a Android user & always have been, but I work for a Major Cell provider & knowing how to use iOS should make my job easier.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Android is for people who like to do things to their phones, iOS is for people who like to do things with their phones.

That's an overgeneralization, of course (there are casual Android users and iOS jailbreakers), but it speaks to the spirit of what they're about. Android is awesome for tinkering, for getting your phone just so, but not everyone wants to do that. There are many people who just want to start using apps and talking to their friends. iOS tends to be less fussy and gets newer apps first.

As for trendiness? I kinda stopped worrying about that a while back. iPhones are fairly ubiquitous, so it's not as if you're ultra chic for owning one. That and I always find it ironic when folks avoid buying Apple in the name of being counterculture... and promptly go buy a big-name phone using the majority platform, Android. It's like declaring that hardcore indie music fans only listen to Top 40 pop.

Last edited:
if you buy Lightning cables, only approved ones seem to work now. Anker makes decent stufff.

note that the iphone warranty covers lightning cables. i get a new cable every time any of mine break.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
note that the iphone warranty covers lightning cables. i get a new cable every time any of mine break.
I haven't broken a cable yet, I just bought a short Anker one so that I don't have to unplug the Amazon cable from the charger when I want to plug my phone into the computer.
The OEM cable, charger, and headphones are still in my iPhone box, unused.

I ordered these cables... Amazon.com: Amoner 3 Pack 3FT 6FT 10FT iPhone Lightning Cable USB Charging Cable Cord for iphone 6s, 6s plus, 6plus, 6,5s 5c 5,iPad Mini, Air,iPad5,iPod. Compatible with iOS9.: Cell Phones & Accessories

And now to think of it will the USB wall chargers that I already have be OK? Or does that require some preparatory apple crap too?
I haven't used another brand charger for a while now, so I am not sure. I used to use a Palm 1amp charger and my UE Boom 2amp charger but I bought a brand new 2amp iPad charger from a member here for $10 and I've been using that.

I just tested my iPhone SE with the Palm charger with the bottom right cable and it works. That cable was the one giving me the Unsupported Cable error a few months ago with my iPhone 5S.
The cable works with the charger and when plugged into my PC.

The other cables in the pic are the updated Amazon Basics cable which I don't like since it is really stiff but has a smaller head to fit into pretty much every case,
next is the short Anker cable, and the one next to the Palm charger is the original Amazon Basics cable which I like but has a larger head and doesn't fit into some cases,
and the bottom right is a cheap cable with Ultra printed on the plug.

iphone-cables.jpg

You'll want to get familiar with all of the Settings app, and there is a ton of stuff in there.

First thing is to go to Cellular, scroll all the way to the bottom, and make sure that Wi-Fi Assist is turned off. Cellular is where you turn cellular data usage on or off for individual apps, and Wi-Fi Assist (when turned on) disregards those settings and turns it on for all apps.

Settings>General>Accessibility - don't overlook this just because you aren't blind or something. You get to adjust some display and text format settings there. However, doing Larger Text can make some text not fit on certain apps, particularly on smaller screens like the one you're getting, so I'd leave that off. Reduce Motion is also there in case some of the graphics effects makes you feel funny.

Your AppleID is your email address, but that email address does not have to be an iCloud email address; it can be any email address. I have an iCloud email address because I thought I might need one but I never have. If you do choose to have your iCloud email address be your AppleID, don't confuse your AppleID password with your iCloud email password; some people just use the same password for both to avoid that confusion but that is lower security, I think.

I only use iCloud to back up the iPhone. But it's invaluable for that! There are two kinds of backups you can have: an iCloud backup that goes to your iCloud account, and an iTunes backup that goes to your PC. Be aware of the difference between the two kinds of backup. It's best to have both kinds of backup; that link includes links to how to make both kinds of backup. Back up before you do iOS updates.

The one app you absolutely must install and have set up is Find My iPhone. it's an Apple app that used to not be installed by default and may still not be, but everyone should have it. If you lose your iPhone, it gives you options. It doesn't need to be running to work but set it up and see how it works.

To shut down an app, double-click the button, and swipe the app up.

There are volume buttons on the side of the iPhone. Pushing either one will immediately turn off an alarm or alert or ringing sound, rather than tapping frantically on the screen until your touch registers. You can even push the volume buttons through your pants pocket so you can shush the phone without pulling it out.

Last edited:
You'll want to get familiar with all of the Settings app, and there is a ton of stuff in there.

First thing is to go to Cellular, scroll all the way to the bottom, and make sure that Wi-Fi Assist is turned off. Cellular is where you turn cellular data usage on or off for individual apps, and Wi-Fi Assist (when turned on) disregards those settings and turns it on for all apps.

Settings>General>Accessibility - don't overlook this just because you aren't blind or something. You get to adjust some display and text format settings there. However, doing Larger Text can make some text not fit on certain apps, particularly on smaller screens like the one you're getting, so I'd leave that off. Reduce Motion is also there in case some of the graphics effects makes you feel funny.

Your AppleID is your email address, but that email address does not have to be an iCloud email address; it can be any email address. I have an iCloud email address because I thought I might need one but I never have. If you do choose to have your iCloud email address be your AppleID, don't confuse your AppleID password with your iCloud email password; some people just use the same password for both to avoid that confusion but that is lower security, I think.

I only use iCloud to back up the iPhone. But it's invaluable for that! There are two kinds of backups you can have: an iCloud backup that goes to your iCloud account, and an iTunes backup that goes to your PC. Be aware of the difference between the two kinds of backup. It's best to have both kinds of backup; that link includes links to how to make both kinds of backup. Back up before you do iOS updates.

The one app you absolutely must install and have set up is Find My iPhone. it's an Apple app that used to not be installed by default and may still not be, but everyone should have it. If you lose your iPhone, it gives you options. It doesn't need to be running to work but set it up and see how it works.

To shut down an app, double-click the button, and swipe the app up.

There are volume buttons on the side of the iPhone. Pushing either one will immediately turn off an alarm or alert or ringing sound, rather than tapping frantically on the screen until your touch registers. You can even push the volume buttons through your pants pocket so you can shush the phone without pulling it out.
Very good info. Thank You

Anyone have a good iOS alternative to cerberus. I like being able to see what my daughters doing on her phone while still giving her the illusion of privacy (shes 9)

Very good info. Thank You

Anyone have a good iOS alternative to cerberus. I like being able to see what my daughters doing on her phone while still giving her the illusion of privacy (shes 9)

You can use her Apple login and "find my iPhone" and you would at least know where she is.

My smartphone history is somewhat long... original Motorola Droid, a couple of somewhat low end Virgin Mobile android phones, samsung galaxy nexus, iPhone 4s (work phone) to a Samsung Galaxy s4 (work phone) then after a few months to a s5 (also work phone, but I got to keep it after I left) which I still have.

Now my biggest gripe with most android phones is that they don't keep up to date with the most current version of android like the nexus devices do. I'm currently on Android 5.1.1 with my S5 with no sign of any updates that only the carrier can update on this device. Why? Because of a AT&T encrypted bootloader. Last time I checked no one has been able to crack it to flash a newer rom onto it. Samsung locks the bootloader for AT&T.

So this is why I'm considering a iPhone or a Nexus device for my next phone. This Galaxy S5 has left a bad taste in my mouth for andriod. I want to flash it to a newer version of android if the carrier won't. I like apple's approach to updates. They handle all iOS rollouts and update them directly to the phone. Google does similar with the Nexus devices.

Issues?
Nexus divices don't typically have a good enough camera compared to most flagship phones, though that has been changing recently. The current google flagship phone is simply too big. The S5 I currently have is about the right size for me. I don't want anything bigger, and I really don't want a screen much smaller since it serves well for my crapper entertainment at work :D

For the iPhones... the 6s is nice, but I'm likely going to wait to see what Apple cooks up for the 7 before I make my final decision on my next phone. Also interested in the next Nexus phone.

Isn't this standard on any other smart phone? I've been able to do this on any Android phone as well.

I really wish more manufacturers would include some of type of mute switch. It's such a simple button but I find it really useful.

I ordered these cables... Amazon.com: Amoner 3 Pack 3FT 6FT 10FT iPhone Lightning Cable USB Charging Cable Cord for iphone 6s, 6s plus, 6plus, 6,5s 5c 5,iPad Mini, Air,iPad5,iPod. Compatible with iOS9.: Cell Phones & Accessories

And now to think of it will the USB wall chargers that I already have be OK? Or does that require some preparatory apple crap too?

Those aren't MFI cables. Just because they work when you get them doesn't meant they will keep working in the future. I'd send that shit back and get something else.

I've been through dozens of Lightning cables (not for personal use) and so far zero of the iXCC cables have failed. You can get a four pack of various lengths for $21:

iXCC Element Series 8pin Lightning USB Charge and Sync Cable Bundle for iPhone 5/6/6s/Plus/iPad Mini/Air/Pro Amazon.com: iXCC Element Series 8pin Lightning USB Charge and Sync Cable Bundle for iPhone 5/6/6s/Plus/iPad Mini/Air/Pro: Cell Phones & Accessories

Those aren't MFI cables. Just because they work when you get them doesn't meant they will keep working in the future. I'd send that shit back and get something else.

I've been through dozens of Lightning cables (not for personal use) and so far zero of the iXCC cables have failed. You can get a four pack of various lengths for $21:

iXCC Element Series 8pin Lightning USB Charge and Sync Cable Bundle for iPhone 5/6/6s/Plus/iPad Mini/Air/Pro Amazon.com: iXCC Element Series 8pin Lightning USB Charge and Sync Cable Bundle for iPhone 5/6/6s/Plus/iPad Mini/Air/Pro: Cell Phones & Accessories
Thanks for the feedback.. I had never heard of MFI so did a little digging after reading your post. Seems to me its a way of guaranteeing compatibility, but is not required.

I am going to ignore your recommendation for 3 reasons.

1st - These were delivered today & were not expensive enough to pay for the return shipping on.

2nd - Comparing the reviews these non MFI cables have a lower frequency of reports (based on percentage, not on the raw number) of incompatible cable messages then the iXCC ones you recommended do even though those are MFI certified (seems likely to get fakes from Amazon)

3rd - I need a 10' cable for my room.

I will head your advise next time I buy more cables though and add MFI to the list of things to look for.

The non MFI cables almost always work out of the box. The issues pop up later when you start getting errors like "The connected accessory is no supported" and your phone stopped charging overnight right before a bus trip. Ask me how I know :D Or a new version of iOS kills the cables.

Anyway have fun with the phones!

Back