Well, I wish I bought EVGA instead of BFG

neubspeed

Gawd
EDIT/FINAL UPDATE: BFG agreed to hand test the new replacement card and send it out today (the same they received my defective card). That sort of support is unprecedented these days. I only wish they did an Advanced RMA but I guess being down for 3 days is much better than 15. Thanks to [H] and BFG for clearing up this issue.

After a few days of troubleshooting I finally came to the conclusion that my 9800GX2 is defective. Game performance is great for about 5 minutes, then one of the cores overheats and throttles everything down. My case and power supply are more than adequate so its not that.

Anyways, just got off the phone with BFG. They said they would replace the card but it would take a whopping 15 to 20 business days to process after I sent mine in. Not only that, customs at the Canada/US border will probably hold it for a few days. As a result, I'm without a video card for a whole month and I need to pay for shipping. This is all the fun additional hassle on a card thats less than a week old.

This is totally counteracting my EVGA experience where they promised an Advanced RMA next business day and gave me a shipping label to send my card back. I really should have just spent the extra $40 and got EVGA but that was my fault.

End Rant. I'm sure I'll get spammed with the "you should be lucky they're taking your card in the first place" posts but shouldn't I be guaranteed that something works out of the box? Without hassle and having to spend more money to ship?

why don't you return it to where you bought it? its only a week old, they should have a doa return policy where you purchased the card.
ncix will replace your card if you bought it there. just contact them. any local shop should have an exchange or store credit return policy.

good luck man. Thats a rough deal.

QFT. Don't RMA to BFG at this point... They might not even declare it correctly, which could result in some nasty brokerage charges on receiving your replacement card :/.

Rma it to place of purchase.

Yea seroiusly, less than a week?
Do a swap with the store you bought it from. Instant fix. That's what you should do with DOA deals. Manufacturer warranty should only be used after 30days or whenever the store's guarantee runs out.

The BFG support technician likely gave you a worst-case turnaround time for a Canadian RMA. It is true that sometimes cards going to Canada get hung up in customs, but not only do we have some new procedures in place to avoid that, we are also in the process of setting up a Canadian RMA hub so we can really turn around things much more quickly in the near future. We are going to look after your RMA and do our best to get your new card to you as soon as possible, assuming you don’t or can’t return it to the place of purchase. I’ve PM’d you with these details as well.

Return it to the store/online shop. RMA'ing to manufacturer is only good when the store warranty is up (30 days or whatever normally).

What were your card temps like under load? Have positive air pressure in the PC (more going in than going out)?

BFG tech jumped right on it, so problem is over. They are just about as good as EVGA, at least in my experience. But like everybody is saying, you look like an idiot for even asking for an RMA. LOL, I would never say that because I'm nice, but it sure seems as though lots may be implying the fact.

Also, never buy from a store that doesn't have at least a 30 day "swap-out" guarantee, that's just asking for trouble. I'm not saying YOU are asking for trouble, but THEY seem to be saying that.

The place I bought it from said they would take the card and test it. When it booted, they said that's all they could guarantee and the rest had to come from the manufacturer. They referred me to the flap on the BFG box saying "do not return to store". *sigh*

We'll make sure to get it taken care of for you, it shouldn't be a problem at all. I'll email you with more details regarding the RMA.

The place I bought it from said they would take the card and test it. When it booted, they said that's all they could guarantee and the rest had to come from the manufacturer. They referred me to the flap on the BFG box saying "do not return to store". *sigh*

I would refer the retailer to a hastily written sign that says "will not buy from you again". ;)

this is a canada the country poor ability to process items shipped into and out of issue not a company issue.

Serieously my wife is canadian and i have no beef with canada but their postal and other shipping abiity as a country is pathetic.

anyways i have always gotton my BFG RMA's in under a week. Before they started the register your card in 30 days routine i only bought form them now its a toss up between BFG and EVGA.

BFG's US only customer service centers though tip it abit in their favor.. not sure if EVGA is US only support or not they dont advertise it if it is.

Well, it seems BFG has given superb customer service. Most stores should replace a defective card within 30 days though.

this is a canada the country poor ability to process items shipped into and out of issue not a company issue.

Serieously my wife is canadian and i have no beef with canada but their postal and other shipping abiity as a country is pathetic.

Can't you read?:eek: He was told by BFG that it would take 15 to 20 days to process it once it was received. Can't blame Canada for that.

Anytime anything like pc hardware is shipped and has to go through customs it's always delayed a bit. No getting around that. And it doesn't matter if it's coming from Canada or USA.

I've had very good experiences with EVGA RMA as well.

Don't worry, I was foolish enough to buy a MSI card, not even close to the warranty as BFG or EVGA. I hope my card doesn't die!

what kinda store is that? no store I know of would ever say anything about a video card return or exchange within the 30 day period. :eek:

Updates: So BFG claims they'll send me a card in a few days. My card was just received by them. I guess I'll start the waiting game and see what happens.

I had to RMA a 7900GTX from Canada with eVGA and they sent me a new card through Advanced RMA, it arrived the next morning. Not sure if they no longer do that.

Anyways, there are a lot of nVidia cards that tend to be DOA or defective in contrast to AMD cards. I wonder if this is a large scale quality control issue in the first place? I could be wrong, I'm just going by observation. Insight would be appreciated.

EDIT/FINAL UPDATE: BFG agreed to hand test the new replacement card and send it out today (the same they received my defective card). That sort of support is unprecedented these days. I only wish they did an Advanced RMA but I guess being down for 3 days is much better than 15. Thanks to [H] and BFG for clearing up this issue.

well perhaps from now on you can just deal with a store that will actually let you do a return or exchange. this whole scenario is ridiculous for a card that is less than 30 days old.

Most stores in my area that get high end products are quite anal when it comes to return policies. We don't really have stores like Fry's or Newegg in Canada that are considered somewhat "big box" but carry high end parts. As a result, all the high end parts come from smaller stores that can't handle losing money on returns. They tend to find whatever reason possible to not take things back and usually charge trash like a 20% restocking fee etc. etc... but its nice the manufacturer stepped up to compensate.

Most stores in my area that get high end products are quite anal when it comes to return policies. We don't really have stores like Fry's or Newegg in Canada that are considered somewhat "big box" but carry high end parts. As a result, all the high end parts come from smaller stores that can't handle losing money on returns. They tend to find whatever reason possible to not take things back and usually charge trash like a 20% restocking fee etc. etc... but its nice the manufacturer stepped up to compensate.
right but I have NEVER heard of a store that would not return or exchange a video card within the 30 day period. that doesnt cost the store anything because if its defective then it goes back to the card manufacturer anyway. now I guess you are out some money for shipping not to mention time and aggravation for something that the store you purchased the product from should have taken care of.

Back