Well, I just blew up Windows 8 :(

TechLarry

RIP [H] Brother - June 1, 2022
I have no idea why it happened. I went to open a PDF of a router manual I downloaded from Asus, and BOOM ! Explorer recycled and restarted. And recycled and restarted, and ..... forever.

Rebooted. Same issue.

Tried the non-volitlle built-in repair (Hint -F8 is NOT there any more. Look it up before you need it :)) Did not work. Failed, in fact.

Tried system restore from two restore points. Failed.

Now we get to see if all my work into setting up the Server 2012 Essentials server was worth it. Right now I'm booted from the restore CD and it's restoring my C drive.

37 Min to go... Wish me luck...

Boot to your Windows 8 CD (or USB device) and go to the Advanced Startup/Repair options (I forget the exact wording). In there you should be able to find a "refresh my PC" link which won't hose any of your data (you only need to reinstall desktop apps) but basically does a 5 minute reinstall of the core OS. Note this is very different than RESET my PC which will host all of your data. See screenshots in article below. This is from a preview release but RTM works the same.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-refresh-pc-screenshot-gallery-140581#/0

ya windows 8 did something like that with my htpc and broke my ssd.

Well, I had a post done to reply to all of you, but the forum hung up and ate it :(

In short...

Yes, it was Win8 Pro RTM.

The recovery option noted was a last resort since I would have to reinstall all my apps.

I am running an SSD too.

Finally, Server 2012 Essentials backup system bailed me out. Woohoo :)

I ran the restore CD, and did a bare-metal restore of the C drive. I'm now back to exactly where I was at 6pm last night.

Glad you were able to recover. Moral of the story, stuff will blow up from time to time. Good backups, no matter the OS are vital if you don't want to miss a beat.

And it never hurts to have bare metal restore capabilities :)

Back